Poll

Should there be an Off-Topic Forum section?

Yes
41 (40.6%)
No
44 (43.6%)
I don't care.
16 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Author Topic: POLL: Should there be an Off-Topic Forum section?  (Read 12548 times)

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Re: POLL: Should there be an Off-Topic Forum section?
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2013, 08:18:21 pm »
If people really want to go mad we could direct them to www.crazyontap.com, where off-topic posts are the only posts that are on topic.
sounds like a good place to persuade people about audiophoolery stuffs, free energy and global warming... and err, god does/doesnt exist stuffs.

However, given the recent "test equipment obsession" thread I wonder whether a separate forum for discussion of test equipment might be useful.
discussing asperger syndrome is an off-topic issue. no offense intended to anybody, just saying.  :scared:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 08:21:11 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2013, 08:47:57 pm »
I guess it should ultimately come down to either having an off-topic section, or banning off-topic stuff entirely  :-//
Up until now it's been a bit wishy-washy, with the "occasional off-topic post allowed".

Honestly, I prefer it this way. I don't think it's really all that bad - there are some off-topic posts but they are easy enough to ignore. Just clean some up if they get too bad. I think an entire off-topic section would be a waste - can you imagine how idiotic it would get? - and "banning x entirely" for most values of x just makes the forum feel too restrictive. I'd rather allow a little off-topic discussion, and if it gets too bad, start closing some of the most off-topic threads.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2013, 09:34:23 pm »
I voted don't care. Off-topic can be an indication that you're building a community.
But it's ok either way.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2013, 09:57:05 pm »
Looks like the no's have it so far.
I'll let the poll run a little while longer...

Dave.

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2013, 10:02:25 pm »
discussing asperger syndrome is an off-topic issue. no offense intended to anybody, just saying.
Don't disagree with that one, but I still think separating out test equipment as a sub folder of product discussion would be reasonable.

Offline ErikTheNorwegian

• Frequent Contributor
  • Asberger, aspi, HIGH function, nerd...
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2013, 10:48:06 pm »
discussing asperger syndrome is an off-topic issue. no offense intended to anybody, just saying.
Don't disagree with that one, but I still think separating out test equipment as a sub folder of product discussion would be reasonable.

I sertenly don agree, aspergers is for some, the reason they got a obsession for collecting instruments..
Its spot on the topic: Equipment obession on this forum?

I know there is at least 5 aspies on this forum, probl. many more.

So your discussing of asperger syndrome is an off-topic issue is higly OFF-TOPIC!
/Erik
Goooood karma is flowing..

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2013, 10:50:03 pm »
So your discussing of asperger syndrome is an off-topic issue is higly OFF-TOPIC!

I almost certainly have Asperger's myself. I don't come here to discuss it.

Offline jaqie

• Regular Contributor
  • Genuine Girl Techie
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2013, 10:54:21 pm »
talking about asperger's on it's own: off topic.

talking about how asperger's may or does relate to the EE hobby/profession: on topic.

I don't know why nobody else seems to understand this.

Offline ErikTheNorwegian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2013, 10:59:15 pm »

I almost certainly have Asperger's myself. I don't come here to discuss it.

Not to explane the reason for the topic of the tread?
It was just a explanation for why some of us have the obsession for instruments. In topic..

If the forum got to be 100% on topic, not explaining real reasons, takes itself so serious that its like a NASA spec for a spaceship, then i think we all have lost what we all are, humans in all variations.

Beware, clean you mind for untopic thoughts before you enter this room.. beware   ;)
/Erik

Offline jeroen74

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2013, 11:19:43 pm »
In my obsession thread I did not refer to personal obsession with test equipment, but that the forum, as a whole, seems to be obsessed with it.

Obsession is maybe too strong a wording; a more moderately worded title could have been: 'why is the majority of threads about test gear? (so it seems)'

Offline Thor-Arne

• Supporter
  • tinker - tinker, little noob.....
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2013, 11:24:37 pm »
I vote no for a off-topic section.

Of course I think one should be allowed to discuss stuff like what printer to use for making PCB-transfer, and other semi-related discussions.

The less "garbage" the forum gets, the better it gets.

My two cents. or "øre" rather :p

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2013, 11:29:31 pm »
Not to explane the reason for the topic of the tread?
It was just a explanation for why some of us have the obsession for instruments. In topic..
Perhaps, it was probably relevant to the equipment thread but it's a fine line.

It's also a personal line, sorry, I'm a bit negative about the Asperger's thing at the moment.

Offline ErikTheNorwegian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2013, 11:33:07 pm »
In my obsession thread I did not refer to personal obsession with test equipment, but that the forum, as a whole, seems to be obsessed with it.

Obsession is maybe too strong a wording; a more moderately worded title could have been: 'why is the majority of threads about test gear? (so it seems)'

Well, you are out of topic, but in topich since you change the topic of a alredy topic that in many poples eyes are out of topic.  O0

"the forum, as a whole" consist of people, and its what the people that uses this forum brings to it, will reflect whats in it.
The man intrest seems to be in many cases instruments, the use, history, models and so on..

Some have a interest that comes from a professionally point, they use them every day. Need them to be correct and well maintained (Calibrated). And some has taken it somewhat further and collect them as stamps, and some has become so obsessed with them that their whole house and life is just about test gear. What people outside the comunity would judge this as, is well worth a thought.  :)

/Erik

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2013, 01:20:03 am »
Damn, drape a few red and black cables around that picture and it's my workbench. Dump a box of resistors over it all and it's Jim Williams' desk!  :)
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline Stiege

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2013, 02:23:39 am »
The same way that contest section pops up after you have 5 posts, maybe have something similar for off topic, and ban it elsewhere?

I think it's good to try and keep the focus on electronics so electronics people are attracted to the forum. I'd be annoyed if I posed a question and then found it difficult to separate a genuine answer from the noise of people who aren't even here for electronics.

Just a thought...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 02:35:20 am by Stiege »

Offline cwalex

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2013, 04:12:52 am »
I voted yes. When I was playing around with AVRs I spent a lot of time on avrfreaks forum and found lots of interesting discussion in the off topic forum. There are lots of really smart interesting people contributing on this forum, I think an off topic forum would be a good thing here too.

Offline smashedProton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2013, 04:43:58 am »
We should have a dating advice/story/therapy/bitches be crazy    thread before we have an off topic thread.  Just a suggestion :P
http://www.garrettbaldwin.com/

Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

Offline smashedProton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2013, 05:53:01 am »
I thought that this is the off topic thread...  There is one further down that is clearly labeled technical stuff.  Anything that is engineering related, or something that we may care about should be in here.  By some of the definitions of off topic, the 787 battery explosion could be off topic too.  If you don't like general chat, dont read general chat. 
http://www.garrettbaldwin.com/

Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2013, 05:54:56 am »
Dunno!

If it didn't work & you shut it down,would the users just leave altogether?
I would hate to lose some of the people who although,to me,have really way out political or religious ideas,are really nice folks & contribute
a lot of good "on topic" stuff as well.

Some time back,QRZ.com got tired of ongoing political brawls in their "Ragchew" section,so instituted a "Political Junkies"section to give the
enthusiasts for that sort of posts somewhere to go.(I almost said "nuts"-----bummer!, I did! ;D)

Well,it was a disaster!
Ongoing personal attacks,extremist political nonsense of all types--so eventually they shut it down,& heavily moderated the other sections!

On reflection,I think I'll vote  No!

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2013, 06:05:50 am »
Well,it was a disaster!
no its not, if you choose to ignore.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2013, 06:40:12 am »
Shafri,it was for the Moderators who couldn't ignore it!

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2013, 07:23:40 am »
Hi Dave , i see your sentiment on the subject as there can be some valid off topics yet some just a waste of space and electrons , i do feel for those moderators sometimes (rarely and sometimes  :-DD )...

If i had a idea on the subject i would say  |O , Maybe a special Off Topic moderator that has to receive a request for allowing a deliberately off topic thread starter "first" with a explanation of why it is off topic and why on a electronics forum , sort of like a preorganized-censorship ?.

All other not even loosely associated off topics should be treated as per normal and just canned! but one canning is anothers violation of human rights  :-DD

cheers aye and thanks for the concerns of all  :-+ , (or most :-DD )
Soon

Offline jaqie

• Regular Contributor
  • Genuine Girl Techie
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2013, 07:46:51 am »
. . . . violation of human rights . . . .
Ummm this is private property, there is no such thing as free speech or human rights on it.  Dave can govern it any way he sees fit.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2013, 07:56:42 am »
Well, it looks like the tribe has spoken.
Given that I personally can see more negatives than positives with an off-topic section, it really needed a good Yes majority to change the status quo.
So we'll just keep the things the way they are.
The preference is for any topic started to have some sort of relevance to electronics or related engineering, but occasional off-topic threads are tolerated. Mods can use their own discretion to shut them down or simply delete them before they take hold. or to branch off threads that have drifted off-topic.

Dave.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 08:03:43 am by EEVblog »

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2013, 07:59:39 am »
Lock this thread now and duck for cover  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf