Poll

Should there be an Off-Topic Forum section?

Yes
41 (40.6%)
No
44 (43.6%)
I don't care.
16 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Author Topic: POLL: Should there be an Off-Topic Forum section?  (Read 12547 times)

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
Re: POLL: Should there be an Off-Topic Forum section?
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2013, 08:00:59 am »
Dave can govern it any way he sees fit.
Not quite, it still has to be run according to applicable law - he would run into trouble if he used it to exchange illegal material, or made posts intended to incite racial hatred etc.

But in terms of "are off topic posts allowed", yep it's Dave's playroom and Dave's rules.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2013, 08:02:32 am »
By some of the definitions of off topic, the 787 battery explosion could be off topic too.

No, that one is definitely on-topic. Strictly speaking it doesn't have to be electronics as such, but most things that involve engineering and/or the physical sciences in some way I would also deem on topic enough to have a place here. The other mods would have their own definition of what on-topic-ness is, and they are free to use their discretion as they always have.

Dave.

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2013, 08:25:38 am »
. . . . violation of human rights . . . .
Ummm this is private property, there is no such thing as free speech or human rights on it.  Dave can govern it any way he sees fit.

I do not take kindly to being censored  :-DD , please quote the applicable wording so one can see it in context!

"Anothers" violation of human rights , meaning in context of anothers violation is far far different to the norm ie; a perverted molester is human? and has rights? :-DD

I also see that your Sarcasm meter is not turned on from ones response ? , or maybe one should buy one  %-B i think there might be a review of one in the review section going cheap!  :bullshit:
Soon

Offline Chet T16

• Frequent Contributor
    • Retro-Renault
Re: Re: POLL: Should there be an Off-Topic Forum section?
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2013, 08:53:31 am »

I've found it quite common that some people will only be active on one special interest forum, and they grow to trust people on that forum and respect their opinion etc, so often it's a natural place to ask off-topic questions like "which camera should I buy", or "does anyone know how to fix my plumbing problem" etc even though the odds are lower of someone knowing the answer.

Dave.

I haven't read the rest of the thread but this is the exact reason why all forums need an off topic section.

Why wouldn't someone want the opinion of someone who clearly shares common interests even if it's off topic.

Chet
Paid Electron Wrestler

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Re: POLL: Should there be an Off-Topic Forum section?
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2013, 08:57:40 am »
I haven't read the rest of the thread but this is the exact reason why all forums need an off topic section.
Why wouldn't someone want the opinion of someone who clearly shares common interests even if it's off topic.

I would not be against having a specific off-topic questions area, but it would have to be limited to questions.
But really, such off-topic questions would probably not get deleted or locked by the mods anyway, because they are usually harmless, so come under the "occasional off-topic" post category.

Dave.

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2013, 09:14:53 am »
Greetings EEVBees:

--Well, that clears that up. I feel better already.

"Before I came here I was confused about this subject. Having listened to your lecture I am still confused. But on a higher level."
Enrico Fermi 1901 1954

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Offline Alana

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2013, 10:18:03 am »
I agree with all of you who say that this is electronics forum and politics and other discussions like that have their own place on the internet - far away from here.
For other off-topic but technically related stuff "general chat" is in my opinion enough.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf