Author Topic: Controlling 24v Contactor w/ 12v...?  (Read 32 times)

Offline bigjoncoopTopic starter

• Contributor
Controlling 24v Contactor w/ 12v...?
« on: Yesterday at 07:30:14 pm »
I've got a TE LEV200A5NAA High Voltage DC Contractor, that's rated at 900v / 500a with a 24v coil. (Datasheet Attached)

I'm using it to remotely contol the output of a large 12v lithium battery bank. (the battery bank already has the necessary management system, I'm just using this to wirelessly control the output)

I've tested the coil using 12v  and it seems to close the contacts just fine... Now I know that the magnetic field that closes the contacts will be weaker by using a lower coil voltage.
Now I know that I could easily just use a small step up / boost converter (which I have tons of 😜), but that would just add another point of failure which I'm really trying to avoid in this situation.

I'm assuming that the only inherent risk is that the contacts may open inadvertently due to the lower voltage. Correct? I don't see how the lower coil voltage, could make them get stuck closed...

I'm basically asking a question that I already know the answer to, but I'd rather double check then have a catastrophic issue!

Oh, as I mentioned the contactor is rated at 900v @ 500a and I'm only using it with 12v and a maximum of 100a continuous for no more then 30-45 minutes at a clip.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:36:36 pm by bigjoncoop »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf