Author Topic: Posting issues with Microsoft Edge  (Read 6082 times)

Offline BryanTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Posting issues with Microsoft Edge
« on: May 22, 2016, 08:36:16 am »
Yes, I know I will probably get flamed for admitting I use Microsoft Edge, but when posting a message the following icons do not respond or work. A pain as I have to switch to IE if I want to properly include a hyperlink etc

-=Bryan=-

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
Re: Posting issues with Microsoft Edge
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 09:10:51 am »
why do you say so? edge is awesome
(as long as you use it with a surface of course)
still, better than IE

Offline BryanTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 09:20:58 am »
I have to agree, I really like it, once they get around to allowing 3rd party plugins it will shine.
-=Bryan=-

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 09:40:13 am »
At least you have the option of running Edge. I still haven't made the change to Windows 10 (running XP on the laptop I'm on now and Windows 7 on my primary machine). I'm holding out because... well... why fix what isn't broke?

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 09:43:00 am »
Yes, I know I will probably get flamed for admitting I use Microsoft Edge, but when posting a message the following icons do not respond or work. A pain as I have to switch to IE if I want to properly include a hyperlink etc

No, you will be flamed for admitting you fall back to IE.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 10:32:44 am »

No, you will be flamed for admitting you fall back to IE.

I still use IE. To this day, it still remains my go-to browser. As a fall-back, I go to Firefox, then as a third option, Chrome. Over the years IE has remained more compatible than any other browser (though recently this has changed). Security-wise, it's been fairly secure (with some tweaks to the default settings). When I worked in IT, the "open source" geeks laughed at me, but always resorted to using IE for many applications (reluctantly). Whether you like it or not, IE has solid foundations and while it's becoming increasingly obsolete, it did a damn good job overall.

I now work in a "classified" security enviroment, where IE is approved for use -- It still has a lot going for it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 10:35:25 am by Halcyon »

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 10:36:16 am »
iratus parum formica

Offline botcrusher

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 11:30:44 am »

I still use IE. To this day, it still remains my go-to browser. As a fall-back, I go to Firefox, then as a third option, Chrome. Over the years IE has remained more compatible than any other browser (though recently this has changed). Security-wise, it's been fairly secure (with some tweaks to the default settings). When I worked in IT, the "open source" geeks laughed at me, but always resorted to using IE for many applications (reluctantly). Whether you like it or not, IE has solid foundations and while it's becoming increasingly obsolete, it did a damn good job overall.

I now work in a "classified" security enviroment, where IE is approved for use -- It still has a lot going for it.

Um... IE has had a notorious history for being the LEAST compatible browser, and butchering CSS rendering as a pass-time.

If you haven't noticed, a lot of W3 pages mention that this tag doesn't work correctly in IE, and gives a complicated workaround.

It's also the slowest, and only works "correctly" with Microsoft sites where Its artificially forced. (Sharepoint, Forefront AUG, etc) of which I've managed to make it use chrome for almost all cases.

The security track record is a little questionable, but recently does seem to not be that bad. I'll give you that.

Offline AntiProtonBoy

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 12:39:48 pm »
The only browser I trust is Firefox. It's not perfect, but it certainly ticks the right boxes in terms of openness, standards compliance, and security.

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 03:41:29 pm »
Opera > Edge > Chrome > Firefox

Just saying.

Offline botcrusher

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 04:02:26 pm »
Eh... Edge is ok, but IE only exists to download chrome/Firefox
Just as bing is only good for searching Google.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 06:20:54 pm »
 Flame away, but IE is my primary browser, and I have NEVER had any machine under my control infected with viruses and spyware (checked with multiple packages). On the contrary - lately I've been having some suspicious stuff picked up from my Chrome cache, and the only sites I go to with Chrome are my gmail and youtube to watch subscribed videos like EEVBlog and Big Clive.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 07:04:36 pm »
Edge means using Win10.  :scared:

Go back to Win7 with proper prophylactics or a version of Linux to your liking. Either that or just take it up the ass every time MS wants you to.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2016, 07:38:58 pm »
Microsoft Edge  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Running on Windows 10  :palm:  :palm:  :palm:

Please take one of these and call me in the morning

http://www.ubuntu.com/
https://linuxmint.com/
http://www.redhat.com/
https://www.suse.com/
https://www.apple.com/
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline hammy

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2016, 08:19:08 pm »
Give Opera a try. There is a build-in adblocker and VPN suport in the latest version included.  :-+

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2016, 08:32:57 pm »
Um... IE has had a notorious history for being the LEAST compatible browser, and butchering CSS rendering as a pass-time.

My experience over the years has been the opposite. The pages and applications that I frequently use all work under IE, the same cannot be said for Chrome. I realise there are things IE doesn't support or handle well, but it hasn't impacted me.

Microsoft Edge  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Running on Windows 10  :palm:  :palm:  :palm:

Please take one of these and call me in the morning

http://www.ubuntu.com/
https://linuxmint.com/
http://www.redhat.com/
https://www.suse.com/
https://www.apple.com/

I would sooner switch to Windows 10 than use Apple OSX. As with Linux, meh... been there, tried them, always ended up back with Windows.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 08:35:54 pm by Halcyon »

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2016, 08:46:08 pm »

My experience over the years has been the opposite. The pages and applications that I frequently use all work under IE, the same cannot be said for Chrome. I realise there are things IE doesn't support or handle well, but it hasn't impacted me.

This is not because IE is good, but because everyone writes their buggy crap around the bugs in IE.

Offline botcrusher

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2016, 10:57:41 pm »
Exactly!
Which i mentioned in my post as well.

Offline rs20

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2016, 11:10:27 pm »

If you haven't noticed, a lot of W3 pages mention that this tag doesn't work correctly in IE, and gives a complicated workaround.

It's also the slowest, and only works "correctly" with Microsoft sites where Its artificially forced. (Sharepoint, Forefront AUG, etc) of which I've managed to make it use chrome for almost all cases.

The security track record is a little questionable, but recently does seem to not be that bad. I'll give you that.

The two of you probably think you disagree, but you perhaps you're talking about different things.
Halcyon is saying that lots of corporate web apps are designed for, and tested with, IE, and thus they work best with IE. This is true. (Although whether IE can "take the credit" for this is questionable)
Botcrusher is saying that when W3 publishes new specifications, IE is last to be compliant. This is also true. (Although most websites still pander to workarounds for IE, so you're unlikely to experience this unless you go out of your way to explore the latest web tech)

So if you're working with 5+ year old corp apps, IE is often the best bet. If you want the latest, cutting edge features from public websites, you're probably vastly better off with just about anything else. I count myself fortunate that I'm not in need of old corp apps.

Offline _Andrew_

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2016, 11:44:17 pm »
Use Opera as main browser followed by Firefox. Edge hardly ever use but that is more to do with moving away from using IE years ago.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2016, 12:15:36 am »
Many years ago, in the early days of the internet, Microsoft had the idea that they would dominate and control Net development by leading it. Specifically, by making Internet Explorer standards deliberately different from all the other browsers, as well as making IE a mandatory part of Windows. The idea was that if they could capture a majority of web content providers to compliance with IE, they could eliminate competing browsers. One can speculate about what their game plan was to be, once they'd achieved complete dominance.

It didn't work out, fortunately.
But the residue remains, in terms of IE being impossible to expunge from Windows, and IE still having extremely poor conformance to W3 html/CSS standards. As everyone knows who codes html/css and sees the many notes about IE incompatibility, as well as the many website page sources that include code to detect IE clients and perform contortions to make the code work for that client.

If IE was so great, why did Microsoft abandon it and start virtually from scratch with Edge?
(Or, another possible interpretation could be that IE wasn't easy to adapt to whatever underhanded user-surveillance facilities MS wanted in the browser, to work hand in hand with the known nasty crap buried in Win10.)

For those who don't believe MS wanted to rule the Internet, did you know that at one stage the Australian government was in discussions with Microsoft, to have MS provide *all* Internet access to Australia, via MS-owned servers in the USA? Thank God that nightmare didn't eventuate.

As for Opera, it *used* to be great, till they dropped their own engine and replaced it with the Chrome engine. Which I totally don't trust. I still use the last pre-chrome Opera version for local development  (it's very fast and nicely customizable) but it's too old to work with many online sites now. (Still works with eevblog!)
At least Firefox has a Portable Install version available, so that's my primary online browser these days.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline XOIIO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2016, 01:24:46 am »
I don't get all the hate for IE, I only had issues with it in the last year or so, before that it worked fantastically every time.

I use firefox as my primary now, and years upon years ago on a horrid old windows 95 machine, my first pc, I used seamonkey because it was too slow for anything else.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2016, 05:47:49 am »
I turn that off in the configuration ("plain text" mode, I believe) and just write the code out, it's faster and saves messing around with the mouse:

[ url =your_url_here ]your text here[ /url ]

Becomes (without the spaces before and after the opening/closing brackets):

your text here

Offline AntiProtonBoy

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2016, 05:53:15 am »
I don't get all the hate for IE, I only had issues with it in the last year or so, before that it worked fantastically every time.
Clearly you haven't done any web development. IE was a problem child every step of the way, and MS just refused to fix issues for it over a period of a decade. IE rightly earned hate from the public and the development community.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2016, 08:05:43 am »
Clearly a lot of valid points from very different view points. I really couldn't care less which browser I use, as long as it does what I want it to do. If IE doesn't work for me, I switch over to Firefox, if that doesn't work, I go to Chrome. In the same way I don't rely solely on my seatbelt and airbags to protect me while driving, I don't rely on any one browser alone to keep me secure online. Security is an issue which requires multiple systems and processes to be put in place. You could have the "best" browser, running Mac OSX behind a firewall etc... but if you don't employ some kind of antivirus, you're asking for trouble.

Up until a few years ago I only had IE installed. I've never once been caught out by a virus or malware, had my personal details stolen or had any account of mine accessed by someone other than me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf