General > General Technical Chat

Power Supply 240V to 120V

(1/2) > >>

redek:
I bought 2 Thurlby Thandar power supplies off ebay for cheap.  The only problem is that they are set up to run off 240V with a British plug and I live in the US.  The Instruction Manual gives clear modification instructions to change the voltage, which consists of changing a few wires around on the inside.  Since the plug and cord are integral to the power supply I have a few options for conversion.  Use a plug adapter from type G to type B, clip off the plug end and put on a type b plug, or replace the whole cord and plug.  Are their any better options?
Thanks

Varal:
Well I personally would narrow my options to changing the whole cable or buying a plug adapter. Cutting the wire and replacing the plug may create unnecessary threat of electric shock or short-circuit plus it doesn't look pro ;) 

squeezee:
If there aren't any clearance issues I'd suggest installing an IEC socket on the back panel.

Simon:

--- Quote from: Varal on May 25, 2010, 06:57:04 am ---Well I personally would narrow my options to changing the whole cable or buying a plug adapter. Cutting the wire and replacing the plug may create unnecessary threat of electric shock or short-circuit plus it doesn't look pro ;) 

--- End quote ---

if done properly with a good quality plug there should be no issue

allanw:

--- Quote from: redek on May 25, 2010, 05:18:10 am ---I bought 2 Thurlby Thandar power supplies off ebay for cheap.  The only problem is that they are set up to run off 240V with a British plug and I live in the US.  The Instruction Manual gives clear modification instructions to change the voltage, which consists of changing a few wires around on the inside.  Since the plug and cord are integral to the power supply I have a few options for conversion.  Use a plug adapter from type G to type B, clip off the plug end and put on a type b plug, or replace the whole cord and plug.  Are their any better options?
Thanks

--- End quote ---

Did you buy from the seller that was selling the one, two, and three output versions at once? From topdogtest? I won the two output one, and haven't picked the package up yet. That's disappointing to hear that it'll require modification to get it to work here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version