Author Topic: Power Supply goes up in flames  (Read 8195 times)

Offline CharlieWortonTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Power Supply goes up in flames
« on: June 13, 2017, 08:23:03 am »
Here's an interesting link from Big Clive:

It seems that someone bought an inexpensive bench power supply, hooked it up to a peltier device, and left the apartment.  Choas and flames ensued.

Scary thing is, I think I was going to buy one of those, before I bought the Korad instead.  And the Korad isn't a high end name brand supply, but at least they hit normal manufacturing standards.  Their stuff doesn't catch fire.  Mostly.

Best, Charlie

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
Re: Power Supply goes up in flames
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 08:28:23 am »

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 08:58:24 am »
WOW   :o 

it took this long for one of these -cheapskate magnet- pos PSU to go to Lab HELL ?  >:D

Bravo  :clap: :clap: :clap:

It must be better bad quality !  :-+

« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 08:49:17 am by Electro Detective »

The following users thanked this post: Monittosan, fourtytwo42

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 09:56:25 am »
I saw that too on bigclivedotcom
scarry stuff for sure.

The following users thanked this post: Lorenzo_1

Offline CharlieWortonTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 10:43:07 am »
OOPS!  Sorry about the inadvertent repost.  I'll try for more new news in the future.  Oh Well!  >Charlie

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 02:51:13 pm »
OOPS!  Sorry about the inadvertent repost.  I'll try for more new news in the future.  Oh Well!  >Charlie

It's ok, an easy mistake to make.

I sometimes worry about the potential for safety risks, with all the cheap stuff imported from China. You can get quality/safe stuff made in China (usually controlled/regulated by Western companies, who look after the Chinese factories, to keep them good quality and safe).

But when it comes directly from (relatively) unbranded companies in China, and they have been 100% left to their own devices, to design/build it how they want. Combined with a super cheap price including delivery, and being sold on (typically) ebay. It is often a recipe for disaster.

I'm surprised there aren't a lot more incidents like that, and that people get injured or worse and hence the governments are forced to take action.

BigCliveDotCom demonstrates a lot of highly unsafe items, coming (usually) directly from China, via ebay. They either catch on fire, batteries smoke/flame badly or potentially electrocute the unsuspecting user, or maybe hide some other nasties.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 02:52:51 pm by MK14 »

Offline mdszy

• Supporter
  • somehow has an ee degree
    • szy.io
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 07:01:58 pm »
I have a supply almost identical to this one! Scary stuff, I'll be sure to never leave it powering a load unattended...
somehow allowed to be a Pixie Wrangler in Training
eBay Store | My site | Hackaday.io Projects | my mastodon.technology profile

The following users thanked this post: Lorenzo_1

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 01:38:48 am »
Wow, that's scary.  Been reading up somewhat on power electronics and want to get into building PSUs, possibly some high power rectifier and inverters for my server room, and possibly solar.  These would run 24/7.  I'd only do this once I've built smaller ones and feel comfortable though and have read up on proper testing procedures (I presume there are standards for that?) and tested them a lot.   How easy it is to mess up a design for something like this to happen?  I would not have figured that something electronic like a PSU would have enough flammable material to burn to this extent.   Like, that even melted the front casing and looks like it even got hot enough to warp the metal!  It almost looks like it was designed by ISIS. lol

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 08:34:56 am »
It was designed to pass the 'brief' inspection at the end of some back alley assembly line  :phew:

After that, it's the buyer's baby (or BBQ)    :-[
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 08:40:20 am by Electro Detective »

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 02:23:38 pm »
Yeah I wonder how much these cheap Chinese things even get tested.   Turn it on, the LED lights up, ship it!   

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 05:38:32 pm »
Yeah I wonder how much these cheap Chinese things even get tested.   Turn it on, the LED lights up, ship it!
if even that... slap it together... ship it... don't worry about it...

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 06:06:05 pm »
remember with some cheap Chinese power supply's, heat-sinks & fans are optional extras.  ;D you must add them your self.
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline WackyGerman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 06:15:30 pm »
It s not a bug , it s a feature . The Wung Hung Lo Power Supply BBQ Special Edition  >:D :-+

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 06:54:54 pm »
remember with some cheap Chinese power supply's, heat-sinks & fans are optional extras.  ;D you must add them your self.

fire extinguisher optional... check.

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 06:59:35 pm »
It s not a bug , it s a feature . The Wung Hung Lo Power Supply BBQ Special Edition  >:D :-+

they should include a bag of marshmallows and some sticks with each power supply. :)

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2017, 07:06:16 pm »
I kinda want one of these for camping now.  :-DD

Offline keymaster

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2017, 07:09:41 pm »

they should include a bag of marshmallows and some sticks with each power supply. :)

marshmallows from the lowest prise supplier in china , what could go wrong ??  >:D :-DD

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2017, 10:08:45 pm »

marshmallows from the lowest prise supplier in china , what could go wrong ??  >:D :-DD

It's the talc powder and formaldehyde that gives em that unique one of a kind flavour.  :-)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2017, 01:49:13 am »
 :-DD    Guys, please go easy      :-DD

my mouse hand has a cramp, clicking so many Say Thanks   :-+

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2017, 08:33:00 pm »
Is it made by Ford? I was worried last week, parked and saw the vehicle in front was a Ford Kuga, which has been recalled because they have had quite a few catch fire while driving, and which also had the unfortunate issue of the doors failing locked when doing so, killing at least one person.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 01:18:16 am »
It's unfortunate that consumers are not told by commission whore Red Bull and ice tanked sales staff,

that most new purchases include free random BBQ capability !  :clap:

The customer merely supplies the prepared meatloaf   >:D

Offline ICR9000

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2017, 11:04:09 am »
Oh that is nasty.  You get what you pay for I suppose.  BTW what happened to quality control ? etc etc
Our Governments really have let us down now haven't they letting just anyone import inferior rubbish.  :-//
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 11:07:04 am by ICR9000 »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2017, 11:58:11 pm »
Oh that is nasty.  You get what you pay for I suppose.  BTW what happened to quality control ? etc etc
Our Governments really have let us down now haven't they letting just anyone import inferior rubbish.  :-//

The decadent 'govs' are showing their true colors and grabbing all the   _under the table_   br!be cash they can fit in their coffers (and private piggy banks),   ;)

and **** the rabble serf that foolishly believe it's 'their/our Government'  :clap: :clap: :clap:

People need to read up on some history if they can give games, sports and silly 'lifestyle' distractions BS a break for 5 minutes (lol, no way)  and get a clue.   :horse: :horse:

There's a LOT of 'Towering Infernos' out there waiting to happen, either by crappy design or too close to airports,
as well as leaving BBQ capable PSUs left on unattended, to recharge a personal vibrator on the 60th floor...    :palm:

hmmm, I think I'll give electronics the Ebay treatment and run for politics or council instead,

"the pen is mightier than the differential probe" as they say...or something like that      ;D   

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2017, 12:23:59 am »

The decadent 'govs' are showing their true colors and grabbing all the   _under the table_   br!be cash they can fit in their coffers (and private piggy banks),   ;)

and **** the rabble serf that foolishly believe it's 'their/our Government'  :clap: :clap: :clap:

People need to read up on some history if they can give games, sports and silly 'lifestyle' distractions BS a break for 5 minutes (lol, no way)  and get a clue.   :horse: :horse:

There's a LOT of 'Towering Infernos' out there waiting to happen, either by crappy design or too close to airports,
as well as leaving BBQ capable PSUs left on unattended, to recharge a personal vibrator on the 60th floor...    :palm:

hmmm, I think I'll give electronics the Ebay treatment and run for politics or council instead,

"the pen is mightier than the differential probe" as they say...or something like that      ;D

you'll end as corrupt as the rest of em...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2017, 12:43:28 am »

yeah, but no one cares about that **** any more, just think of THE MONEY !   :-+

Cheaper than playing a lottery and no crossed fingers each week praying to win  :-[

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf