Author Topic: Problems if we all had Tesla cars  (Read 119893 times)

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
Re: Problems if we all had Tesla cars
« Reply #400 on: October 19, 2015, 11:43:43 pm »
The same is true of electricity prices too :/
Not in my country, how is that done in your country?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 11:45:39 pm by Galenbo »
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #401 on: October 20, 2015, 12:18:34 am »
You don't have VAT in your country?
Plus taxes on coal and natural gas in the form of carbon taxing?
And corporation tax on profits?

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #402 on: October 20, 2015, 02:08:37 am »
Yes, btw on all products, belastingen on company's profits.
Taxes means here what the goverment steals on top of it, when they still don't have enough, or just because they can.

I'm not aware of those extra taxes on electricity, but ready for details.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #403 on: October 20, 2015, 11:05:12 am »
Yes, btw on all products, belastingen on company's profits.
Taxes means here what the goverment steals on top of it, when they still don't have enough, or just because they can.

I'm not aware of those extra taxes on electricity, but ready for details.
That is because here the price of electricity works like a black box, we have no idea what we are paying for. I had hard time just looking it up, how much /KWh I'm actually paying.  :--
I've payed electricity bill in a different country, there it was detailed, like 20 different lines, including the extra pension payed for some workers retired in the communist era ( like 0.3 cent per KWh). It was at the back of the bill.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #404 on: October 20, 2015, 11:34:23 am »
Over here the electricity bill is split into generation costs, transportation costs and various taxes.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #405 on: October 20, 2015, 03:42:37 pm »
The same is true of electricity prices too :/
Not in my country, how is that done in your country?

Going by ofgem figures the 5% VAT and the 7% 'environmental and social costs*' are direct taxes on customers. The pre tax margin (9%), operating costs (14%), network costs (23%), and wholesale costs (42%) all have their own taxes and duties. My electricity company makes a big deal on my bills that they only get 5% for their margin after tax and that 40%ish of the cost of the other areas are also taxes, duties, green charges etc... So 12% is a direct and easily tracked tax on the consumer and of the remaining 35%ish goes to the government or must be spent in ways the government proscribes. That comes out at about 47% of what I pay for my electricity is in one way or another a tax. Now whether that's too much is another debate but it's directly comparable with road legal petrol and diesel.

*I.e. the 'free' insulation, energy saving bulbs, 'how to save energy' campaigns etc energy companies have to provide.
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline lewis

• Frequent Contributor
  • Nullius in verba
« Reply #406 on: October 20, 2015, 09:30:35 pm »
That comes out at about 47% of what I pay for my electricity is in one way or another a tax.

Yep, gov't gotta have their slice. About 60% of a litre of UK Diesel is direct taxation in VAT and duty, let alone the tax on the oil companies' and retailers' profits. And all this disproportionately affects the poor. Energy could be a lot cheaper if we had the will.
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #407 on: October 21, 2015, 12:01:14 am »
So Consumer Reports took away their recommendation on the Model S because reliability fell below average.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/10/20/tesla-consumer-reports-reliability/74278144/

Tesla noted that the same people that responded to the Consumer Reports survey gave them best in the world for service and loyalty.

But obviously you can still have best service but still have poor reliability if major parts have to be serviced.

Consumer Reports still stands with their test results of 103 out of 100 and the claim that it is the best car they ever tested, also noting that it's not the 1st time a car performs excellent during performance testing but has poor overall reliability in the wild as it was the same case with the Corvette.

100% torque 100% of the time is a killer for drivetrains and the motors, but who can fault an owner for stepping on the juice every so often?

The sunroof problems and leaks make less sense, maybe they were badly installed or something.

The  squeaks and rattles, well I'm not sure if they still use the bonded aluminum that Lotus did for them for the roadster but my Lotus Elise sqeaks and rattles and I love every one of those noises, but then again it's not a luxury car where that would be annoying for their target group.

But I'm pretty sure they don't use the Lotus Platform but maybe they still do the bonded aluminum chassis.

At least Tesla is not keeping quiet and they are addressing the bad publicity but it did have an impact on their stock. But no worries, I'm pretty sure it will climb right up.

Anyways, I wish Tesla a good recovery in the stock exchange.

Edit: minor spell mistakes.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 12:04:21 am by miguelvp »

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #408 on: October 21, 2015, 12:57:31 am »
In the big scheme of things, I think the issues reported in CS are a minor bump in the road for Tesla. The thing they seem to have more than other car companies is human energy and pride. That does not mean they don't make mistakes, it means that they will likely respond faster than the competition. To work for a new and yet-to-be-proven company like Tesla means the talent is not risk averse and is interested in doing something more unique and special.

Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf