Author Topic: products you hate  (Read 133539 times)

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
Re: products you hate
« Reply #175 on: September 22, 2016, 02:41:50 pm »
Also I hate those classes of products that are a part of a ridiculous jumble of overlapping standards that could be reduced to just a necessary few. Several spring to mind:

[..]

Paper sizes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_size

[..]

The paper size thing, I just love it.  Like other US measurements, the US letter format makes no sense... while the ISO standard is very nicely defined:

« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 02:46:13 pm by mariush »

The following users thanked this post: vinicius.jlantunes

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #176 on: September 22, 2016, 05:33:55 pm »
What about pentabole screws? It resembles a torx plus, but it isn't  :palm:

*pentalobe

Not a big problem...just more screwdrivers or worse bits to keep track of. (I always loose bits)
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #177 on: October 01, 2016, 07:01:14 pm »
'Tactile rubber coating' or whatever it's called, added in a thin layer on hard plastic or metal.
It *always* turns into tacky revolting filthy peeling gunk. If you are lucky it might be possible to tediously scrape all this crap off, with a lot of effort. If unlucky, there's no way to remove the leprous stuff, and you just have to throw the thing out because it's now unbearable to touch.

Example: some plastic knobs from a Tektronix TLA 715 logic analyzer. I just spent about 1.5 hours (3:30am to 5am) removing this shit. (Got home  from party, didn't want this chore hanging around to ruin next day too.)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 07:03:45 pm by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #178 on: October 01, 2016, 08:43:45 pm »
IBM and Lenovo seemed to have the magic formula with those rubber coatings. Their laptops used to have it. And it never turned into a sticky gunktop.

Offline ruffy91

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #179 on: October 01, 2016, 08:51:39 pm »
After the gunk turned sticky you normally can remove it with IPA. Had to do this with my cars (Peugeot/Citroen/Lancia/Fiat Eurovan2) A/C knobs and with my mouse (Razer).

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A3003 mit Tapatalk

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #180 on: October 01, 2016, 11:14:39 pm »
'Tactile rubber coating' or whatever it's called, added in a thin layer on hard plastic or metal.
It *always* turns into tacky revolting filthy peeling gunk. If you are lucky it might be possible to tediously scrape all this crap off, with a lot of effort. If unlucky, there's no way to remove the leprous stuff, and you just have to throw the thing out because it's now unbearable to touch.

Simple Green and hot water takes it off quickly with a bristle brush. It's no big deal, really.
Much more annoying are feet made of poorly vulcanized rubber, that over time turn into black sticky liquid. So much for the nice table you put your stereo on...

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #181 on: October 02, 2016, 06:12:17 am »
I dislike Smoke detectors which are remotely set off every time I change the volume or channel of my TV using my XFinity Comcast Remote!  :/

No idea why it does it. The alarm doesn't seem to have any remote control type properties. IR, Digital, etc.

Annoying as hell though.

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #182 on: October 02, 2016, 06:55:13 am »
never did it until we switch from Comcast to Comcast Xfinity.  Doesn't change the fact I hate the smoke detectors, but I love Xfinity. Download speeds I'm getting are 82mps.  Much better then the 10-20 from before.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #183 on: October 02, 2016, 07:08:47 pm »
never did it until we switch from Comcast to Comcast Xfinity.  Doesn't change the fact I hate the smoke detectors, but I love Xfinity. Download speeds I'm getting are 82mps.  Much better then the 10-20 from before.
It's most likely because, to avoid interference from daylight and lighting, the IR in the smoke alarm is at a very specific wavelength and switched at certain frequency but unfortunately the wavelength and switching frequency of your remote control is similar to the smoke alarm so it sets it off.

Changing to an ionisation smoke detector will solve the problem but it's slightly radioactive.

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
« Reply #184 on: October 02, 2016, 10:34:47 pm »
I hate red light cameras.  I love thermite.  Just sayin'...
Have You Been Triggered Today?

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #185 on: October 02, 2016, 11:55:04 pm »
I hate red light cameras.  I love thermite.  Just sayin'...

youtube    /watch?v=Q1ezKlUi794
DESTROYING 19 Red Light Cameras and Turning Yourself In

By 'destroy' this apparently means paint. But whatever. Discusses details of corruption and illegality of the cameras.

Edit to add:
Also I hate any product that is specifically designed to be impossible to repair.
Case in point: A Braun 'Turbo 600W' hand blender.
Belongs to my ex-wife. It stopped working. Having a look, it turns out the plastic case is carefully designed to snap together in ways that are impossible to open without unrepairably destroying it. This is not the first time I've seen this kind of designed-by-arseholes technique.
Pic is at present stage of disassembly. It's already trashed, and I'm still not able to access the motor and control block. I'm about to cut it open with an angle grinder, just to see how it was put together.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 12:07:41 am by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline R005T3rTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #186 on: October 09, 2016, 05:22:10 pm »
Yep. Android user here. Everyone I know who has an iPhone got it because they had an android phone and it sucked or support was dropped after 6 months or they had to get it repaired. All of these are hell and I agree with them. The moment mine hits a wall it's going and I'll get an iPhone and this chunk of junk is going to eBay.

So I'll add Android to products I hate.

Have you ever tried Android on a £50 phone? I did, and it resulted in the phone fatality: I simply couldn't control myself and i smashed it on the wall.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #187 on: October 09, 2016, 09:19:39 pm »
HTML5 YOUTUBE VIDEOS!!! (Please don't do it Dave!)

Utter :bullshit:

All it does is cause lag, freezing, and failed loading. And whoever thought it was a good idea to make it rewind and forward like old VHS tape is an IDIOT! (This means YOU GOOGLE!) It's very annoying!

Edit: Yes, I am on android, but that's still owned by google! You'd think their stuff would be compatable! BUT NO, it won't work at all in android chrome! :palm: :palm: :palm:

*dumps a truckload of pimps into the Google HQ to bitch slap them all for doing everything wrong*
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 09:25:32 pm by Cyberdragon »
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Offline setq

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #188 on: October 09, 2016, 09:29:35 pm »
Yep. Android user here. Everyone I know who has an iPhone got it because they had an android phone and it sucked or support was dropped after 6 months or they had to get it repaired. All of these are hell and I agree with them. The moment mine hits a wall it's going and I'll get an iPhone and this chunk of junk is going to eBay.

So I'll add Android to products I hate.

Have you ever tried Android on a £50 phone? I did, and it resulted in the phone fatality: I simply couldn't control myself and i smashed it on the wall.

Yeah old Samsung Galaxy Ace. I'd rather have sex with the business end of a crocodile than use one of them again.

Offline Kuro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #189 on: October 09, 2016, 09:52:34 pm »
Politicians!

They're not a product you say? But they are. All of them are the product of very poor upbringing and a lack of solid scientific education.
The universe is made of protons, neutrons, electrons and morons - March for Science 2017

The following users thanked this post: Galenbo

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #190 on: October 10, 2016, 01:30:28 am »
HTML5 YOUTUBE VIDEOS!!! (Please don't do it Dave!)

Utter :bullshit:

I don't think Dave has any control over how his videos get streamed to you by youtube, but isn't HTML5 video still just an option on youtube?

Anyway, it works fine on my pc and not having to install that adobe flashplayer crap is something I like very much.

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #191 on: October 10, 2016, 03:02:52 am »
barrel connectors otherwise interchangeable ,some are AC some are DC  not the first time kids did,blow up something with the wrong plug-pack
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 09:43:58 pm by jonovid »
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #192 on: October 10, 2016, 05:23:22 am »
Speaking of Android - who the hell is that moron who designed 2 seconds lag when you invoke the list of running apps before the closing X appears on the title bars. Drives me absolutely nuts...  :rant:
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Gary350z

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #193 on: October 10, 2016, 09:28:23 pm »

I agree.
This stuff turns into nasty stuff.
I removed this junk from plastic knobs with IPA alcohol. It dissolved it completely. It was black colored coating. 100% clean knobs now. :)

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #194 on: October 15, 2016, 01:56:08 am »
I hate oscilloscopes with partially populated front panels. They look cheap.

The following users thanked this post: Galenbo

Offline bitslice

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #195 on: October 15, 2016, 02:39:46 am »
My God, what was Tektronix's marketing department thinking? Everyone knows more buttons = better value.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #196 on: October 15, 2016, 08:13:40 am »
Speaking of Android - who the hell is that moron who designed 2 seconds lag when you invoke the list of running apps before the closing X appears on the title bars. Drives me absolutely nuts...  :rant:

What X? There is no X for me. What version are you on? it's swipe up to close for me.

My God, what was Tektronix's marketing department thinking? Everyone knows more buttons = better value.

There seems to be some channels missing on my scope! It looks like they were right there! Where have they gone? Who took them?! I demand the return of my stolen channels immediately! :rant:
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 08:19:47 am by Cyberdragon »
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #197 on: October 15, 2016, 08:37:35 am »
Cinnamon scrolls - without the topping.
Just the plain style.
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #198 on: October 17, 2016, 12:45:44 pm »
barrel connectors otherwise interchangeable ,some are AC some are DC  not the first time kids did,blow up something with the wrong plug-pack

That bloody things are made to be glued. Fortunately I'm cautious with my boards and I always check them with a multimeter to avoid bad things happening...

Glue them, you can't go wrong....

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #199 on: October 17, 2016, 12:50:42 pm »
Cinnamon scrolls - without the topping.
Just the plain style.

Are you referring to the fact that if your screen locks and you don't want to log in you can't restart/shutdown the system? That thing still happens to me and it drives me nuts all the time, but it's nothing compared to the password misspells because you can't see them (damn dots!)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf