Author Topic: Project Part Mangement  (Read 1458 times)

Offline FratinkTopic starter

• Contributor
Project Part Mangement
« on: November 24, 2021, 03:18:27 pm »
Hello,

I'm trying to come up with a good system for managing project "detritus" or "artifacts" to keep my workplace from losing bits of projects, and just organsing it all together so we can keep track of it long term.  Things like project specific programmers, parts, testing boards, components, etc need to be preserved in some cases so that we can do maintenance of projects not in current active development.

So far my best idea has been to do a library-like thing, where you have each part labelled with the project name, number, etc and then have matching card that you sign out with your name.  All these parts are normally in boxes specific to each project.  My concern is that this might be enough effort that people just won't do it.

Has anyone implemented something similar for organizing projects?  I'd love to hear what worked and what didn't.

Offline Terry Bites

• Super Contributor
  • Recovering Electrical Engineer
Re: Project Part Mangement
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 06:11:42 pm »
Excel?

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 08:06:44 pm »
I have seen excel used before.  That might work since this isn't going to be used in a distributed way.

A previous workplace did that by having a PC nearby and an excel spreadsheet open that had cells that looked like the physical layout of the shelves.  The shelves had these nice boxes (I think they're called euro-box but not sure) that fit just perfectly.  The idea was that you signed out each cell by placing some project information in them, then put the parts in the box and back on the shelf.  It worked alright but didn't allow granularity of the things in the shelves.

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 08:35:40 pm »
Using Excel for asset or stock control or generally as a database, with more than one person responsible for data entry, even though only one instance is running is a disaster waiting to happen.   If you build an application on top of  Excel to reduce its deficiencies and make it harder for a moments inattention to FUBAR the  worksheet, you've just set your personal bus-factor to one, and will be stuck with maintaining it evermore.

Use a real database, or better yet, a real asset and inventory control application, that can log all transactions with their user ID so you know who to question if tools or jigs are logged out then found to be damaged or incomplete, and barcode each storage container, and subcontainers within them, so checkin and checkout can be reduced to simply scanning one's ID badge + the items in question.

Offline penfold

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 11:46:22 pm »
... My concern is that this might be enough effort that people just won't do it.

There is no system imaginable that can be considered too easy not to do  :D. There will always be some reason in someone's mind that takes a greater priority than even scanning a barcode, I'm both guilty of that and witnessed it enough times (with great hypocrisy I probably called them out on it as well!) but even the simplest scheme has the potential to slip. So whether it's excel, paper, or a formal database, (as with so many things) its function can only possibly be as good as its measurement, how easily you can discover problems.

Based on a good system I once saw, the equipment was marked in some way to show it is 'from the shelf', a red tag or sticker or something with asset number and not easily removed, each user had a number of tags on elastic bands to attach to equipment when removed from the shelf. Any item then floating in the company was then both identifiable as needing a responsible person and having a responsible person. There was a general understanding that anyone had the right to restore the "ambiguous" equipment to the shelf. Each person had a limited number of their own tags, and longer-term "per project" ones assigned separately, different colors (maybe a symbol or shape in case of color blindness) per project or purpose maybe...

...it was only items that were formally listed as 'assets' or requiring calibration that had propper asset numbers, otherwise just had a shelf number and description, and things kept pretty much under control. I think it was just accepted that some things will end up in desk drawers no matter how its implemented, but it added that psychological step of "I'm taking this item, I need to put a tag on it else it'll get returned, best just sign it out also". It's pretty flexible and scalable.

The following users thanked this post: Fratink

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2021, 03:37:52 pm »
That's very true. I've got a plan started for a little "education" campaign and the department head is on board with explaining to people that this new process is something that is expected of them as part of their jobs.  So that will hopefully help.  Unsurprisingly we do have some hoarders that I think this will be an issue for, I've often found expensive equipment stashed away in random places obviously not in use.

I do like this idea of "from the shelf" tags, that might help with relocating items that were taken from storage.  What this plan is evolving into is a way to keep the "artifacts" from a project together so that as we transition to a maintenance phase we're able to continue that without having to invest in re-creating wiring harnesses, adapters, modded boards, etc or spend hours searching for them.  We tossed around the idea of trying to keep track of what should be in the box, but that seems like something that would easily break.  As soon as a couple people don't log box "transactions" the system becomes pointless.  But if everything in the box was tagged, it would make identifying what goes where more simple.  Since we already have a company wide shutdown where all test equipment is returned for calibration, we could probably extend that into a "put things back" phase and go through all the offices and return project parts not in use.  Hopefully as you say the added psychological step will limit the necessity of that, but at least until it becomes a culture it will probably be necessary.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2021, 10:11:01 pm »
Currently I use plastic storage bins and cabinet drawers (surplus duplex card cabinets).

I keep multiples of three bin sizes for flexibility, the front of each has a large number label. Items in the bins if loose are stored in a box or bag. There is no serious sorting of bin numbers or contents, it just works on space availability. The idea is that a cursory glance of the room can identify it's location.

The cabinet drawers don't need to be physically labelled, I just call them A1-7 B1-7 etc. They are mainly for quick access to parts, adapters, hardware, tools and accessories. The drawers fully extend out on rollers and are tall purposefully to vertically store containers.

I use a text document as an overview of all bins and drawers. For detailed contents (if necessary) I create a folder and store info like parts lists, datasheets, invoices, photos, manuals. Simple to move things about or consolidate. Example of the layout:

\Storage\Locations.txt
\Storage\A3\Leds.txt
\Storage\A3\Fuses.txt
\Storage\A3\Fuses\Bussmann.pdf
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 10:40:46 pm by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2021, 10:16:18 pm »
Hello,

I'm trying to come up with a good system for managing project "detritus" or "artifacts" to keep my workplace from losing bits of projects, and just organsing it all together so we can keep track of it long term.  Things like project specific programmers, parts, testing boards, components, etc need to be preserved in some cases so that we can do maintenance of projects not in current active development.
I use storage containers for very project specific things like prototypes and specific test cables. I have a single location where all kinds of programmers (hardware) are stored and then there is a filing cabinet with the project documentation + a location somewhere on a file server. This is pretty much how all companies I have worked at organised projects as well.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2021, 02:55:57 pm »
... My concern is that this might be enough effort that people just won't do it.

There is no system imaginable that can be considered too easy not to do  :D. There will always be some reason in someone's mind that takes a greater priority than even scanning a barcode, I'm both guilty of that and witnessed it enough times (with great hypocrisy I probably called them out on it as well!) but even the simplest scheme has the potential to slip. So whether it's excel, paper, or a formal database, (as with so many things) its function can only possibly be as good as its measurement, how easily you can discover problems.

Based on a good system I once saw, the equipment was marked in some way to show it is 'from the shelf', a red tag or sticker or something with asset number and not easily removed, each user had a number of tags on elastic bands to attach to equipment when removed from the shelf. Any item then floating in the company was then both identifiable as needing a responsible person and having a responsible person. There was a general understanding that anyone had the right to restore the "ambiguous" equipment to the shelf. Each person had a limited number of their own tags, and longer-term "per project" ones assigned separately, different colors (maybe a symbol or shape in case of color blindness) per project or purpose maybe...

...it was only items that were formally listed as 'assets' or requiring calibration that had propper asset numbers, otherwise just had a shelf number and description, and things kept pretty much under control. I think it was just accepted that some things will end up in desk drawers no matter how its implemented, but it added that psychological step of "I'm taking this item, I need to put a tag on it else it'll get returned, best just sign it out also". It's pretty flexible and scalable.

Hello Penfold, thanks for this suggestion. This is basically what we're going to start with I think.  We're going to print label templates that people can fill in and slap onto boxes for projects.  Then each item in the box will have a tag that can fit similar labels that just identify the project and what the item is for (test cables are so difficult to identify on their own).  I think getting the uniquely coloured tags for this storage solution is brilliant so we'll implement that as well. I'm going to have to create a little training system for people as well so that everyone is using the system consistently.  I think this will at least be enough to get started and should be flexible enough to allow it to adapt as we learn what works and what doesn't.

I threw around ideas of getting the 2part tags with unique numbers as well, so that when you wrote down the information you would have a carbon copy to place somewhere and let us know what is missing.  This seemed a little too complicated for our goals, but perhaps that idea might be helpful for others.  U-line and McMaster both sell those products.

Thanks again!

Offline penfold

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2021, 03:24:27 pm »
I think ultimately it depends a little on the exact problem you're trying to solve. The way I suggested stemmed from the "messy-bench problem", especially the "messy spare-bench" problem! The emphasis there was more about making sure any pieces of equipment left out were either accounted for or unmarked items could be returned: saving the time spent sending emails around asking what's what. In that way it was equally about saying "hands-off, this is mine for now" as naming/shaming messy bench culprits.
We had the token "bossy-clean-freak from the front office" do a check once a week - so it's well worth having someone who, naturally, you need to be nice to in order to get your purchase order requests processed in good time

I guess it's the other way about and the concern is "where's the equipment that should have been on the shelf", a tool-chit style system could work better, could have tags on the shelf you attach when you take the equipment and a personal tag you leave behind... that could be getting a bit over-complicated still...

Anyway, for tags, after trying it out with paper tags, we had traffolyte ones made up (the multi-colour-laminated plastic stuff for engraving name-plates etc), available in loads of colours - custom shapes and engraving was super cheap.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2021, 10:00:15 pm »
custom shapes and engraving was super cheap

Can you give us an idea of cost? Ballpark is fine (much better than the website provides!)

Offline penfold

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2021, 12:27:21 am »
custom shapes and engraving was super cheap
Can you give us an idea of cost? Ballpark is fine (much better than the website provides!)

I seem to recall them coming in at £0.25 a piece in a quantity of 400. My memory has faded on it a little. I suppose 25p isn't necesarily 'super cheap', but even the £100 ish for the lot isn't many engineers worth of 5 minnutes messing about with paper tags.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2021, 01:23:12 am »
Ta. That's cheap enough to put on the 'might be cool if I can find a use for it' list :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf