Author Topic: Pronunciation of "via(s)"  (Read 10809 times)

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
Re: Pronunciation of "via(s)"
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2020, 01:03:29 pm »
What is soddering anyway?

Sounds like a prison activity.
Please, please, PLEASE let that one go. It’s been discussed to death, and then some, on every.... damned... soldering.... video... that is posted by an American.  :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse:

(Executive summary for those who don’t know: that is the correct pronunciation in American English, whose pronunciation of that word remains closer to the French word it originated from, and does not represent American laziness or inability to read. There are silent “L”s in all variants of English. We know, it sounds like a dirty word in British. There, I think I’ve addressed all the points anyone has ever made in those discussions. No need to re-hash it.)

You should have the URL stored for your post(s) which explained this in detail, then just post a link every time :).

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2020, 01:46:56 pm »
As everyone has an opinion... In British English

In Kicad I use a stitching vee-ah (via), whilst on a train, I journey vie-ahr (via) a railway station. *

By the same token, I connect to the internet with a root-er (router) and profile wood with a rowt-ar (router).

Welcome to Homographs! For the long suffering student of English:  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homograph

* Via can be plural on a PCB (lots of vias) but is only ever singular on a journey; I go vias many stations does not work.

++ Of course, we instinctively know when to say row a boat or the kids are making a row, but a speech sythesizer does not.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 02:23:56 pm by Syntax Error »

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2020, 01:49:25 pm »
You know, it may not be pronunciation that irritates some people; I think it may often be the about mis-associations certain pronunciations cause instead.

Like "sodder" vs. "to sod off", as in "the one who sods off".  Or the way scandihoovians often omit the "on one hand", and skip directly to the "on the other hand" part.

The pronunciation of "surface" is problematic for me.  I know full well that both ways ("sur-fis" and "sur-face") are correct, but whenever I hear the latter, I associate it as "super-face" or "the next face" instead of the surface being talked about.  It is somehow jarring, I think. And I agree, it's completely my own problem.  ;D

But it is also fun to play with.  For example, instead of bicycle, say bi-cycle (as in twice per cycle).

Stuff like double and triple negations that English allows – "Did you not forget to omit the blerghfagh from the whizbang yesterday?" – are just plain evil, though.  Me no grasp properly.

I go vias many stations does not work.
But it does sound hilarious, doesn't it?

The following users thanked this post: eti

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2020, 01:57:28 pm »
What about "soldering"? Brits say SOUL-DERING, but Yanks I've watched on Youtube seem to favour SOD-DERING. Which to Brits means something entirely different. Maybe the Yanks are just buggering up their reflow?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 01:59:58 pm by Syntax Error »

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2020, 02:16:49 pm »
I have lived in the US for lo, these 70 years and have never heard “mul timmitur”.  Perhaps you are thinking of “altimeter”?

Nope, I heard it 5x in the last week, from Americans on YouTube, and also my "Google Home" virtual assistant pronounces it this way too, in her American accent.

I have successfully avoided these speakers.  How do the English pronounce “multiply” and “multiple”, with an “eye” for an “I”?  And how do they pronounce “altimeter”?

British English (Gold standard, national accent - not "RP" speech but the generic, non-geographic English which is more and more prevalent in England now)

~~ Phonetically ~~:

"Multiply": "Mul tee ply"
"Multiple": "Mul tipple"

"Altimeter": (usually) "Al tee mee tuh"

Anything else, whilst not the end of the world, is just nonsensical when you deconstruct the word and speak it's component words aloud.

Shall we apply these rules to the pronunciation of "lieutenant"?

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2020, 02:28:32 pm »
Back to the word "via" in its original use as a preposition:  in the US it is normal to say "via air mail" or "via UPS", referring to the method, while other countries tend to restrict the meaning to geography, e.g. "via Berlin" for a railway ticket.  The English dictionaries accept both usages.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2020, 02:32:05 pm »

Please, please, PLEASE let that one go. It’s been discussed to death, and then some, on every.... damned... soldering.... video... that is posted by an American.  :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse:

(Executive summary for those who don’t know: that is the correct pronunciation in American English, whose pronunciation of that word remains closer to the French word it originated from, and does not represent American laziness or inability to read. There are silent “L”s in all variants of English. We know, it sounds like a dirty word in British. There, I think I’ve addressed all the points anyone has ever made in those discussions. No need to re-hash it.)
I think it's good to keep our sense of humour. No one is seriously saying the Americans are thick. Taking the mickey out of other accents is common in all English speaking countries. If we can't laugh at our differences, then we'll end up giving into PC cancel culture and end up in some authoritarian regime!

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2020, 03:07:38 pm »
The plural of 'via' is 'viae'. Just saying. >:D

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2020, 04:14:05 pm »
The plural of 'via' is 'viae'. Just saying. >:D

I'd be curious to hear an american-speaking person say this word.
 ;D

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2020, 04:44:58 pm »
"We went viae Paris, Amsterdam and Berlin." Using Latin is just cheating, but perfectly valid.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2020, 04:49:51 pm »
In that sentence, "via" is a preposition, and prepositions don't have plurals.

The following users thanked this post: newbrain, SiliconWizard

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2020, 04:55:25 pm »
Anyway, for a non-chauvinistic encyclopedic treatment of the English language, with all its hybrid vigor, and its spread throughout the world, I recommend the definitive treatment in "The Oxford Companion to the English Language, 2nd Edition", Oxford University Press, 2018  (ISBN-13: 9780199661282)   https://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10.1093/acref/9780199661282.001.0001/acref-9780199661282
Be careful:  don't drop the book on your foot.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2020, 05:14:59 am »
The pronunciation of "surface" is problematic for me.  I know full well that both ways ("sur-fis" and "sur-face") are correct, but whenever I hear the latter, I associate it as "super-face" or "the next face" instead of the surface being talked about.  It is somehow jarring, I think. And I agree, it's completely my own problem.  ;D
Ummm... “surface” has only one pronunciation in English, “sur-fis”. “Sur-face” is categorically wrong in all dialects of English. That’s a pronunciation used exclusively by non-native speakers.

I think it's good to keep our sense of humour. No one is seriously saying the Americans are thick. Taking the mickey out of other accents is common in all English speaking countries. If we can't laugh at our differences, then we'll end up giving into PC cancel culture and end up in some authoritarian regime!
Hah, if only. I’ve explained this at length in prior threads. Believe me, there are plenty of British who very much hate Americans and think we somehow stole and corrupted “your” language because we’re too dumb and lazy to get it right. I wish this weren’t the case, but it is.

What about "soldering"? Brits say SOUL-DERING, but Yanks I've watched on Youtube seem to favour SOD-DERING. Which to Brits means something entirely different. Maybe the Yanks are just buggering up their reflow?
Bit late to the party, huh? ;)

Anyway, for a non-chauvinistic encyclopedic treatment of the English language, with all its hybrid vigor, and its spread throughout the world, I recommend the definitive treatment in "The Oxford Companion to the English Language, 2nd Edition", Oxford University Press, 2018  (ISBN-13: 9780199661282)   https://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10.1093/acref/9780199661282.001.0001/acref-9780199661282
Be careful:  don't drop the book on your foot.
It’s a great book. It’s a source I use when debunking all the various claims of how American English is supposedly corrupted British English, when in fact, it’s just things from... British English. (Like “ain’t” and “aks”.)

The following users thanked this post: Nominal Animal

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2020, 05:58:17 am »
And in a thousand years it will be be known as a "sih" and no one will pronounce that correctly either.

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2020, 06:02:59 am »
Ummm... “surface” has only one pronunciation in English, “sur-fis”. “Sur-face” is categorically wrong in all dialects of English. That’s a pronunciation used exclusively by non-native speakers.
Good to know, thanks.  Apparently, I still can't decipher IPA correctly (/ˈsɜːfɪs/ vs. /ˈsɝːfəːs/)  :-[

(The lack of an e-type vowel at the end should have been a clear indicator.  See how hard it is when you rarely speak, but often read and write English?)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 06:04:44 am by Nominal Animal »

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2020, 07:12:58 am »
As everyone has an opinion... In British English

In Kicad I use a stitching vee-ah (via), whilst on a train, I journey vie-ahr (via) a railway station. *

By the same token, I connect to the internet with a root-er (router) and profile wood with a rowt-ar (router).

Welcome to Homographs! For the long suffering student of English:  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homograph

* Via can be plural on a PCB (lots of vias) but is only ever singular on a journey; I go vias many stations does not work.

++ Of course, we instinctively know when to say row a boat or the kids are making a row, but a speech sythesizer does not.
you pronounce the same word with the same meaning, differently for no reason?¿?¿?  A strange thing, not helping we Brits look any less crazy. Whydya think pcb "via" is called that? Because the circuit current travels VIA it; same meaning.

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2020, 12:17:46 pm »
@eti Such is the democratic power of the Anglicist tongue. Say it how you want to say it and no anal intellectual can stop you (unlike France).

Vee-as are specific to pcbs. But ain't vias just fancy pcb links? Or could that be pcb lynx?

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2020, 12:35:15 pm »
Same as you pronounce via in Italian when saying "Via Appia".

Since my native language has Latin roots, I prefer the second one from these two British pronunciations:

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2020, 01:50:40 pm »
"Bella via" sounds so much nicer said in Italian. English is a 'zuppa Inglese' of european languages. Even the word television is a senseless cut and paste of greek and latin. And that's just the organic way it (dis)functions.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2020, 03:06:10 pm »
Same as you pronounce via in Italian when saying "Via Appia".

Since my native language has Latin roots, I prefer the second one from these two British pronunciations:
It's preference I suppose. I prefer the first, simply because it seems to be the most common pronunciation. I've heard the second, but it seems to be more unusual. Of course this is purely due to the accent/dialect where I live. If I travelled a hundred or so miles, the other pronunciation might be more common.

Hah, if only. I’ve explained this at length in prior threads. Believe me, there are plenty of British who very much hate Americans and think we somehow stole and corrupted “your” language because we’re too dumb and lazy to get it right. I wish this weren’t the case, but it is.
A small minority of Brits think that and it's difficult to tell whether someone is serious or not, without tone of voice and body language. My view is that US English often sounds strange, sometimes archaic, but not stupid. I also think the same about variants of English spoken in some parts of Britain.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 03:25:10 pm by Zero999 »

Offline Pack34

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2020, 03:42:20 pm »
Sometimes pronounced "plated through-hole"
"Plated through-hole" and "via" are not synonyms. PTHs are plated holes through which you insert a component lead; vias are plated holes through which component leads are not placed.

Technically, it is a hole that goes through a board, that's plated.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2020, 05:28:10 pm »
"Plated through-hole" and "via" are not synonyms. PTHs are plated holes through which you insert a component lead; vias are plated holes through which component leads are not placed.

But a via doesn't always go through the board. It can be buried or blind, in which case it just joins two or more layers.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2020, 09:41:07 pm »
What is the correct pronunciation of "via's" when we talk about pcb's?

No such thing as "correct".
I use both vee-a and vie-a even within the same video.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, newbrain, Nominal Animal, eti

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2020, 11:46:37 pm »

So? Dissecting terms literally doesn’t help define their real-world meanings. I mean, if you dissect RAM and ROM — random-access memory and read-only memory — you don’t actually get the true meaning of either, because the terms were carried over from older technologies whose competing technologies had different characteristics. Nowadays, a ROM is likely to be rewritable (like Flash or other EEPROM), but above all, all modern storage and memory technologies except for tape are random access, so random access isn’t actually the defining characteristic of RAM any more. But the name stuck, so we use “RAM” when we mean volatile memory and “ROM” when we mean non-volatile memory.

Point is, the word “via” means the holes, covered or not, used for connecting one layer to another, without putting component leads in. Whereas “plated through-hole” is a subtype of a “through-hole”, which is a  hole for a component lead.

And yes, you’ll find examples of people using the terminology wrong. Doesn’t change the fact that they’re wrong.

Offline newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2020, 06:41:12 am »
Maybe this thread has served its "purpose" (it is going nowhere, and never was)
Yup, I can agree.
As for the blocking, I must apologize, it was involuntary.
Now, it definitely isn't.
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf