Author Topic: Proof that software as service/cloud based, will never work for long term ...  (Read 93820 times)

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
Re: Proof that software as service/cloud based, will never work for long term ...
« Reply #528 on: September 10, 2022, 10:27:30 pm »
Google Cloud IoT Core goes on the end-of-life list: https://www.itnews.com.au/news/google-cloud-iot-core-goes-on-the-end-of-life-list-583990

Who could possibly have seen that coming.
It launched in September 2017 and it will close down in August 2023. That's longer than Google keep most things alive.  :)

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
Re: Proof that software as service/cloud based, will never work for long term ...
« Reply #529 on: September 26, 2022, 02:18:08 pm »
If you think it's a good idea to rely on cloud storage: https://support.google.com/photos/thread/180787712/corrupted-photos

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #530 on: September 26, 2022, 02:32:08 pm »
To be fair to Google (had to cross my fingers when I typed that) it looks like the original photos are OK and it's just the app's cached version.

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #531 on: September 27, 2022, 06:35:41 am »
The only reliable cloud service is water storage.

The following users thanked this post: madires, bitwelder

Offline bpiphany

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #532 on: September 27, 2022, 10:42:33 am »

Isn't it a bit random where it falls out?

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #533 on: September 27, 2022, 12:16:49 pm »

What, not even iCloud? You'll have to turn in your badge.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #534 on: September 29, 2022, 07:02:47 pm »
And another Google service will be shut down:
- A message about Stadia and our long term streaming strategy (https://blog.google/products/stadia/message-on-stadia-streaming-strategy/)
- Google is shutting down Stadia (https://www.theverge.com/2022/9/29/23378713/google-stadia-shutting-down-game-streaming-january-2023)

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #535 on: September 29, 2022, 07:05:39 pm »
- A message about Stadia and our long term streaming strategy
I don't think that 'r' belongs in streaming.

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #536 on: September 30, 2022, 06:23:52 am »
- A message about Stadia and our long term streaming strategy
I don't think that 'r' belongs in streaming.

;D ;D

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
Re: Proof that software as service/cloud based, Works for manufacturer not you
« Reply #537 on: September 30, 2022, 08:41:21 pm »
I am still having difficulty believing Enphase had restricted access to the built in web server, then restrict and start to charge for "tokens" just to see stuff and get away with it.

https://support.enphase.com/s/question/0D53m000074fNdNCAU/enphase-10-is-the-system-controllable-over-the-network-without-relying-on-off-site-cloud-services

Kluttz_6334 asked a question. July 21, 2021 at 11:32 AM
Enphase 10 - Is the system controllable over the network without relying on off site cloud services?
I am very likely about to purchase an enphase solar system with encharge 10's on it. I am hearing that the system has an app :bullshit: for phones which typically means the system is reliant on cloud :bullshit: services that are not under my own control for my own system. I work in IT security and find it unacceptable :-+  that I have to authenticate to someone else's servers and request permission from THEM to change settings on something I own that exists behind my firewall in that home. It is digital equivalent to buying a home from a real estate agent and the agent keeping the keys and saying that they will let you in and out every time you need to pass through the door. Oh and they also need to know and approve everything every time you rearrange furniture or paint. I really need to be able to control settings on this system without any off site requirement.

Rother_3681 a year ago
Sonnenkult, when i use that link (http://envoy.local/ivp/ensemble/inventory) i get a dialog asking for my user and pw. When i enter that, i get a 401 Unauthorized or a 403 Forbidden error. I am OK not changing the battery mode, but it's important to me to know the state of charge. Any advise?

Nakashian_6446 Edited December 18, 2021 at 8:24 PM
that URL http://envoy.local/ivp/ensemble/inventory now is going to give you 401 Unauthorized, after firmware update D7.0.68, even if you use installer password that firmware was just pushed 2 days ago. It will redirect you to https://envoy.ip/home#auth asking you for access token. There is no instruction how to get that token

Nakashian_6446 9 months ago
@Marcol that API under user ID is how enlighten data can be accessed, there are different tiers, only Watts tier is free if number of hits is below a certain count. here's the price plan that enphase will charge if your code hits too many times.
https://developer.enphase.com/plans?utm_source=community&utm_medium=answer_links&utm_campaign=internal_reference

I used to give my utility company "Reliant" access to enlighten via the API method. But just to be sure, I did grab the API key from this screen and used it as access token to my local device it didn't work. the Local envoy access seems to require access token that expire around 1hr. There is no programmatic way to renew the access token, so my home automation is dead in water on using local envoy.

My home automation used this URL http://envoy.local/ivp/ensemble/inventory to figure out if I'm on the grid still or backup battery, and turned off power to some appliances to conserve power, most of the time, it seems when I loose power, I also loose internet access, so * Enlighten access is not a full proof solution, even the Iphone Entune app on cellular signal wasn't functioning properly when I lost power a couple of days ago, so I couldn't tell if I was on backup battery or on the grid. The city I live in, it seems power loss happens frequently.

* Joke (Sarcasm): He is completely wrong, it IS a 'bullet proof' solution that will ALWAYS works for Enphase as long as they are business. When they are out of business well it isn't going to matter to them anymore . It is all about the Enphase, how important they are and the brightest minds of society working there and their feelings towards the insignificant buyers who are stupid and confused, don't know what they are doing for these naturally born geniuses to know better that the mass majority need internet and a website half way around the world in the middle to work at all time for whatever it is they are trying to do.

MarcoI 9 months ago
@Nakashian_6446​  Gotcha. looks like i just got the * updated FW as well, i now see the token page. If Enphase wants to security it they should just a Authenticator app vs token page. My token page doesnt work at the moment so i cant log into the local unit right now.

*When they say the term, 'taking the p*ss' that has to be it.
So it is not security they want it is tokens paid for after a certain of hits.

Third class citizens of their own stuff that they brought and paid for.

Are they classing those who want to view the stats to their satisfaction developers in order to charge them these tokens?

I am thinking, do they think their customers are stupid. I know I asked this before in another thread. Would you be stupid enough to own such a system (let alone inadvertently allowing access to the manufacturer to do as they as please with it via the broadband) but when those who don't realize what they are being sold and what is happening and then are stuck with it then I can imagine they woudn't want to admit it at first until things get better and I believe I might know how they would feel as similar things happened to me many times before that were out of my control. I'd myself feel cheated and angry and feel like hurling a lot abuse at them down the phone all day and week which of course won't lead anywhere and I have feeling they might enjoy that too secretly but that is just my perception.

I believe what may be right in that situation would be to call up the contractor/installer and demand for them to replace it or make to the way it was before (if changed like that) or have them rip it out and go to court over it.

A solution that works for them but not always for the customer when they feel like it.

Tokens aka fee, what an insult.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 08:53:15 pm by MrMobodies »

The following users thanked this post: madires

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #538 on: September 30, 2022, 11:16:22 pm »
Not having the pleasure of a decent roof to put a load of panels on, what happens when you decide you want a system? Do you specify the parts and get someone to put them up, or do you buy a system from an installer? If the latter, it would be interesting to know if they get a kickback or something for using the Enphase controllers.

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
No we didn't go for Enphase stuff which was in one of the quotes.
They showed us what they were proposing.

I was shocked that his cloud nonsense has grown bigger with lying to people that their inverter can't datalog and monitor locally without internet and their hosting, and then restricting the built in webserver (on models that did have them when brought new) through forced updates and now restricting the website API and charging to see or use certain things.

Actually the contract/installers that were chosen (I didn't choose them) were quite good in that, in light all of this "cloud" only nonsense I have been fed by many manufacturers of these inverters about their "smart wifi sticks" as the only means possible, that we had been quoted on, I decided if it is not "in house" it is no good, I'm no interested, so no monitoring. For a start I'd want it wired not through wifi. Also I was told I could change many aspects on the inverter through the websites such as operating voltages and frequencies which is a big nono if becomes compromised.

I asked the installer when I pointed out that the insurance policy excludes (first and third party damage due viruses pc malware, pc code, hacking, misuse etc.) and they took me seriously on my requests that once it is working, to disable all wifi and bluetooth signals after they leave and I want the invterter left alone. They also written in the quote "owner manages system" and they didn't set a password for the installer menu's on that or the charger which we will do soon so that is nice.

They said they couldn't help with the monitoring solution.

After I discovered the inverter that they put in did have a built in ethernet port The manual stated that it is for pc monitoring and third party monitoring but the manufacturer Fox ess lied to me on inquiring about that and said it was "reserved port" and non functioning when it did work with Modbus and is now functioning with a ready made package from a Homeassistant appliance.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 05:43:40 am by MrMobodies »

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
If there were a chance we'd install any panels, I'd ask you for their phone number :)

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
If you are in England I suppose I could.

I started a thread on it and here are screenshots of it working:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/dodgy-technology/foxess-inverter-ethernet-data-to-pc-data-and-other-monitoring-lie/msg4421923/#msg4421923

And at the bottom when I discovered some of the horrors of Enphase.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 07:40:04 am by MrMobodies »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
Stadia controllers could become e-waste unless Google issues Bluetooth update: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/09/stadia-controllers-could-become-e-waste-unless-google-issues-bluetooth-update/

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Offline 50ShadesOfDirt

• Regular Contributor
To post #120 ("paper defense" moved to the ms store) ... it's not too hard to access any free item in the store from a different site or method, and then you can pick apart the executables (x64, x32, arm, etc.) and the needed libraries (vclibxxxx, etc.) ... with these in hand, run the program on any reasonable os.

#1 ... see if the item is also on github, like "Windows Terminal". If you can get the item there, easiest of all. Some things are dev'd on github, and then packaged up and pushed to the ms store.

#2 ... get the "product id" of the ms store item. take that to the site(s) that will translate the id into the actual files that make it up. With the same files downloaded that are "locked" behind the ms store, now you can test running them on any other recent os (win7, etc.)

If you'll google accessing microsoft store programs offline (using product id), you'll find the same methods I was successful with. I ripped the ms store off of my win10 machine some time ago (using powershell), and when I wanted to get at Windows Terminal, I used both of these methods to get at the actual files.

Not a perfect system, but a workaround that gets me at some things (many things?) now supposedly "locked" in the store ...

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
and then you can pick apart the executables (x64, x32, arm, etc.) and the needed libraries (vclibxxxx, etc.)

Thanks for the info, but I think it misses the point of my posts, which was that Microsoft is doing their best to prevent things running on Windows 7 for no reason other than to force people onto W10.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
If you think that providers of cloud services know what they are doing then you might be interested in a tiny Azure incident:
- SOCRadar's blog post about a misconfigured data bucket: https://socradar.io/sensitive-data-of-65000-entities-in-111-countries-leaked-due-to-a-single-misconfigured-data-bucket/
- MS's comment: https://msrc-blog.microsoft.com/2022/10/19/investigation-regarding-misconfigured-microsoft-storage-location-2/

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Ah, great!  ;D
There sure are a lot of underlying issues, technical and otherwise.

But one very effective way of making something dodgy "work" is... to make it mandatory. Let's see how that goes. :popcorn:

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #547 on: December 30, 2022, 08:15:47 pm »
"As D-Link continues to refocus on developing products and solutions that provide our customers the most value and highest security, we are announcing the End of Service for the mydlink Home and mydlink Baby Monitor Apps and Cloud Services on December 30, 2022."

https://www.mydlink.com/faq#id-topFAQ/ans-4242

Email:

"Dear Customers,

We got in touch earlier this year to inform you about the End-of-Service of your mydlink Home and mydlink Baby Camera Monitor on the 30th of December 2022. As such, all devices using the announced apps (listed in table below) will stop working as of the 30th of December 2022 (CST). These includes:

Model number
mydlink Home DCS-935LH, DCS-8200LH, DCS-5025L, DSP-W110, DSP-W215, DCH-S150, DCH-S160, DCH-G020, DCH-G020X, DCH-Z110, DCH-S220, DCH-Z120, DCH-Z310
mydlink Baby Camera Monitor DCS-700L, DCS-800L, DCS-820L, DCS-825L , DCS-850L, DCS-855L
While we try to maintain support and related services after our products are sold for as long as possible, technologies evolve and security requirements change, which means we had to make this difficult decision.

Your mydlink account, which you might be using for other mydlink apps, will continue to be active after the End-of-Service date. If you do not wish to keep your mydlink account, please click here to delete it.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause and thank you again for your understanding."

« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 08:18:59 pm by Karel »

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #548 on: December 30, 2022, 09:21:32 pm »
At least their form letter did not say "For your convenience, we are forcing your hardware to stop working tomorrow."
(Emphasis added, as academic writers say.)

Offline madires

• Super Contributor

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf