Author Topic: Proof that software as service/cloud based, will never work for long term ...  (Read 93777 times)

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor

Bottom line -  cloud based services can't really be relied on long term as you are not in control of anything - you are a mere tenant and the landlord can evict at any time.

That said, there can be good reasons for renting facilities for shorter time frames,  or where the project / information is not super critical.

Offline olkipukki

• Frequent Contributor
...,  or where the project / information is not super critical.
..or not your data and money  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
...,  or where the project / information is not super critical.
..or not your data and money  :-DD

That's the only reason I am AWS cert  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Yahoo groupds are shutting down

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/10/yahoo-is-deleting-all-content-ever-posted-to-yahoo-groups

Yep. Many users were actually seeing this coming for a couple years, and many have switched to a different platform (many have migrated to groups.io).

And of course you can't trust a private company to keep a service available forever. You can't trust it to itself exist forever either.

That doesn't mean in itself that the model is borked. That means that users should ALWAYS prepare for transitioning to something else. Problem with this is that this cloud model can't keep its (false from the start) promise that users would never have to worry about their data/software/... anymore once they use cloud services. This is just a plain LIE. Services shut down, get hacked, occasionally loose data... users should ALWAYS back up their data with several means and not just one. But yeah, this is exactly what those services claimed users wouldn't have to do anymore. Premium bullshit.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Yep.

I got some funny looks today when I told people I back up github  :-DD. They be fools!

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
I got some funny looks today when I told people I back up github  :-DD. They be fools!

Ahah, who cares... you'll be the one laughing when they lose their repos (or just the access to them) and potentially years of work.

That said, when working with github, you pretty much always have at least one local copy of the repos, and more often several if several people work on the same project. So even if you don't back that local copy up (which wouldn't be wise), you'd still have one or more copies if the service shuts down... you'd have to be extremely unlucky if you lost the github repos AND your local copies at the same time... (but yes Murphy likes good jokes! And for older projects you don't work on anymore, the probability raises significantly.)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
You'd be surprised how often carnage occurs there. 400 private github repos. Occasionally a guy leaves, forgets to push his local changes (which are at that point deployed because of the propensity of cowboys at this place) and then operations come along and hose his PC. So someone goes to fix something and finds that in github, the repo is empty and someone else has his pc :-DD.

All human related.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Oh sure, but this last example is unfortunately a possible rationale for having everything online. Just force editors/IDEs as online services only, and there won't be a single local file anymore. Your scenario becomes impossible.

Of course then we're back to square one: a single point of failure with all your data on servers you have no control over.

Meanwhile, the big ones make huge benefits while we're running in circles. :-DD

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline andy2000

• Frequent Contributor

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/10/yahoo-is-deleting-all-content-ever-posted-to-yahoo-groups

I stopped using Yahoo groups years ago when they did a major redesign.  It may have looked more modern, but they made it almost unusable.  All of the groups I read eventually moved to other platforms due to this.

Am I the only one who still misses Deja News?  There was a lot of good information in old Usenet posts, particularly when I needed some information on an old piece of computer hardware.  If I needed DIP switch settings for a particular EGA video card, chances are there was a post from back when they were still new.  Deja News reined it when they tried to turn themselves into a shopping site, then Google bought them and it briefly became usable again. 

It didn't take long for Google to merge it with Google groups, and make it impossible to find anything.  I just did a search for my name on Google groups and if I sort by relevance, I get 9373 hits, if I change that to sort by date, I only get 5.  This plus infinite scrolling makes it impossible to find anything specific.  You used to be able to filter by date, newsgroup, and other options, and everything wasn't polluted with irrelevant Google groups content. 

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
That was my experience as well, Yahoo Groups were great, I was an active member in several of them. Then the redesign made it completely unusable, the last one I tried to use was the local Freecycle group and after trying for some time to post something I gave up. I cannot fathom what they were thinking, unless their goal was actually to ruin it so thoroughly that they could shut it down. Absolutely nobody liked the change, within a few months every one of the groups I was in was all but dead.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
The problems that Facebook has encountered is a big headache that most companies don't want...  you can't just put up a forum and leave it unattended or up to the users to manage, any longer...   the risks of abuse are too high, and increasingly the focus of lawmakers (and lawyers  !).

This means it becomes more expensive to run these kinds of sites,  which in turn means companies choose to shut down the marginal ones (and delete all the data) rather than risk having to take responsibility for it.  (e.g. Yahoo Groups)

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor

Yep. Many users were actually seeing this coming for a couple years, and many have switched to a different platform (many have migrated to groups.io).
Premium bullshit.
Ah, yes, groups.io and Premium bullshit. What do they have in common? Well, groups.io owners are politically motivated. They give you free Pemium plan if you support impichment of president Trump. Guess it is good news for those who do, but those who dont - be aware political bullshit may come down on you as a member of the service at some point and/or the groups.io owners may count you in when bragging "look how many people support the impichment". Possibilities are endless. Political shills are in the driver seat.  This may open a new trend in computer services. Create a platform, get people subscribe and start selling bulk access to the sheep to political clients. Indeed,  Premium bullshit.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
There's so much irony in that post it hurts.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Wait for quantum cloud then. We ain't seen anything yet. All your data will be stored who knows where, churned who knows how by machines we don't have a fucking clue what they are actually doing.

Time for a beer I guess.
 :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Sounds like Azure :-DD

Offline olkipukki

• Frequent Contributor
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/06/28/microsoft_ebooks_death/

No wonder...

I still remember a moment when I were comfortable sitting in a chair 35,000 feet above the ground and was planning to do something meaningful until Excel told :blah: -  want connect to a cloud regardless my offline Office subscription  :wtf:  :-//

Since then, MS Office is 'dead' for me  :horse:

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/06/28/microsoft_ebooks_death/

After the PlaysForSure and Zune debacles I'm baffled as to why anyone would invest in any Microsoft product or service involving purchased content. They are notorious for killing off products and platforms after a few years.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
After the PlaysForSure and Zune debacles I'm baffled as to why anyone would invest in any Microsoft product or service involving purchased content. They are notorious for killing off products and platforms after a few years.

Yep, and I'm waiting for the time they'll be killing off Windows.
 :-DD

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
There's so much irony in that post it hurts.
Right, right. I am not surprised. It is so common these days for people to complain someone hurt their feelings. Why don't you take your pain to a bullshit social media of your choice?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Right, right. I am not surprised. It is so common these days for people to complain someone hurt their feelings. Why don't you take your pain to a bullshit social media of your choice?
Yes, bd139 is known for his sensitive nature.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: sokoloff

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Right on.

The point was that you can't go whining about political manipulation when the current situation was created through political manipulation. And it's not like I don't have any first hand experience of that as I worked for one of the companies doing it.

And the only people who whine about it outline their political orientation. Which you can track. There's the irony.

Offline Canis Dirus Leidy

• Regular Contributor
Meanwhile, GitLab has made telemetry mandatory for users of its cloud hosting:
For GitLab.com users: as we roll out this update you will be prompted to accept our new Terms of Service. Until the new Terms are accepted access to the web interface and API will be blocked. So, for users who have integrations with our API this will cause a brief pause in service via our API until the terms have been accepted by signing in to the web interface.
GitLab.com (GitLab’s SaaS offering)and GitLab's proprietary Self-Managed packages (Starter, Premium, and Ultimate) will now include additional Javascript snippets (both open source and proprietary) that will interact with both GitLab and possibly third-party SaaS telemetry services (we will be using Pendo(https://www.pendo.io)).

The following users thanked this post: SiliconWizard

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
So much for Gitlab being an alternative for Github. It seems they're holding people's work and even operations hostage until they agree with the new terms and conditions. So much for freely and willingly engaging in a contract.

The following users thanked this post: SiliconWizard

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf