Author Topic: Proof that software as service/cloud based, will never work for long term ...  (Read 93863 times)

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
Re: Proof that software as service/cloud based, will never work for long term ...
« Reply #200 on: November 09, 2019, 04:50:40 pm »
Not completely the same but related:

A message appears on your TV: Netflix will no longer be available on this device

[Updated 11/8/19] Netflix has announced that due to technical limitations, as of December 2, 2019, the Netflix streaming service will no longer be
supported on several consumer electronics devices, including some from Samsung. This change will impact select 2010 and 2011 Samsung Smart
TV models that were sold in the U.S. and Canada. Affected devices will receive a notification reflecting this change.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01203568/?CID=afl-ecomm-cjn-cha-092118-52057&cjevent=4c0bfd9a026511ea8052014e0a180512

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Proof that software as service/cloud based, will never work for long term ...
« Reply #201 on: November 09, 2019, 05:57:54 pm »
It is pretty clear to me that the so-called smart TVs are a complete bust. The software simply isn't supported long enough.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: CatalinaWOW

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #202 on: November 09, 2019, 07:03:17 pm »
It is pretty clear to me that the so-called smart TVs are a complete bust. The software simply isn't supported long enough.
You're forced to support the industry though. Finding a decent spec television without the ill-supported smart part is pretty much impossible.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #203 on: November 09, 2019, 07:24:06 pm »
You're forced to support the industry though. Finding a decent spec television without the ill-supported smart part is pretty much impossible.
But who needs a television nowadays? Most settop boxes have HDMI out so a PC style monitor will do just fine.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #204 on: November 09, 2019, 07:51:07 pm »

Fortunately we can use smart TVs without any internet connection. But this may change and we might have to create a login for the manufacturer's cloud for maximizing profit via targeted ads.

Offline BravoVTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #205 on: November 09, 2019, 07:57:17 pm »
But who needs a television nowadays? Most settop boxes have HDMI out so a PC style monitor will do just fine.

Computer monitors are never made as big as TV, that alone does matter, e.g.: I want to sit lazily on my cozy big long sofa while watching "big" screen from a "distance" thats hanging on the wall.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #206 on: November 09, 2019, 08:04:30 pm »
Computer monitors are never made as big as TV, that alone does matter, e.g.: I want to sit lazily on my cozy big long sofa while watching "big" screen from a "distance" thats hanging on the wall.

You can find monitors that are just as big as a TV set. They are unfortunately much more expensive!

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #207 on: November 09, 2019, 08:06:12 pm »

You can find monitors that are just as big as a TV set. They are unfortunately much more expensive!

Exactly my point, as not everyone has money growing tree in their garden.  :P

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #208 on: November 09, 2019, 09:02:55 pm »
I don't think there are 4K 55" OLED monitors.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #209 on: November 09, 2019, 09:06:57 pm »
I don't think there are 4K 55" OLED monitors.
They exist. You could have Googled that yourself ofcourse.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 09:09:34 pm by nctnico »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #210 on: November 09, 2019, 09:37:49 pm »
I should have counted on some pedant chipping in.  :palm: Those are around the $4000 mark and effectively off the table. Let me supplement myself with the obvious. I don't think there are 4K 55" OLED monitors available within reason.

The following users thanked this post: Red Squirrel, bd139

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #211 on: November 09, 2019, 09:49:36 pm »
I should have counted on some pedant chipping in.  :palm: Those are around the $4000 mark and effectively off the table. Let me supplement myself with the obvious. I don't think there are 4K 55" OLED monitors available within reason.
Moving goalposts as usual. Like with any type of electronic equipment prices will go down rapidly. 49" TVs and monitors seems to be on par when it comes to price. Logical because the panels are not different.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #212 on: November 09, 2019, 11:22:40 pm »
Moving goalposts as usual. Like with any type of electronic equipment prices will go down rapidly. 49" TVs and monitors seems to be on par when it comes to price. Logical because the panels are not different.
The Goalpost Moving Champion is trying to lecture me. Colour me unimpressed.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Bassman59, bd139

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #213 on: November 10, 2019, 05:58:39 am »

I hate that most TVs now are smart. This plague is moving to other things like fridges now too.  I don't want that crap.  Especially with the spying it comes with and I presume you're forced to tie it to some account before it even lets you use it.  Wish it was possible to buy just a regular TV.    My TV is old enough that it only has very basic smart features (reading from a USB stick etc) but not looking forward to when it needs to be replaced.

On similar note I hate that lot of misc products now days have an app.  The minute I see that what that tells me is that the product NEEDS this stupid app to work, and in 5-10 years from now will be unusable because they'll have stopped updating the app.  And of course, this app will require you to create an account and be tied to the cloud.  For example my DJI drone is like that.  You can sorta fly it without the app but you lose most of the functionality like being able to record video.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 06:01:37 am by Red Squirrel »

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #214 on: November 10, 2019, 09:46:01 am »
Most of the so called smart devices are dumb crap with smart crap strapped on the side. I reckon it’s possible to eviscerate the smart bits at some point. When that full size double smart fridge gets turfed for being software discontinued I’m going to be there to help dispose of it  8)

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #215 on: November 10, 2019, 10:57:09 am »
On similar note I hate that lot of misc products now days have an app.  The minute I see that what that tells me is that the product NEEDS this stupid app to work, and in 5-10 years from now will be unusable because they'll have stopped updating the app.  And of course, this app will require you to create an account and be tied to the cloud.  For example my DJI drone is like that.  You can sorta fly it without the app but you lose most of the functionality like being able to record video.

Cloud tethered stuff is another form of planned obsolescence.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #216 on: November 10, 2019, 11:39:30 pm »
Monitors tend to be more expensive than smart TVs because the smart TVs are subsidized by the data they harvest. Anyone who actually connects a smart TV to the internet is a moron.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #217 on: November 10, 2019, 11:57:59 pm »
Monitors tend to be more expensive than smart TVs because the smart TVs are subsidized by the data they harvest. Anyone who actually connects a smart TV to the internet is a moron.

Well, it's a question of market first - they sell A LOT more TV sets than huge monitors, so you have a large economy of scale, and then there is the acceptable price point, which is obviously not the same. But after that, sure the "added" functionalities are a trap. TV vendors make a lot of money out of all the extra services, just like with many other devices these days... I'm sure the mere fact they would ship the TVs with the Netflix app preinstalled makes them a significant amount of cash per sold TV...

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #218 on: November 11, 2019, 08:51:34 am »

Watch out for the emergence of a market for "little black boxes" that make cloud tethered devices work by pretending to be whatever cloud service they need to work...

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #219 on: November 11, 2019, 09:04:39 am »
Just curious, are there chip/IC companies have something similar ? That their product only can be used/developed/trouble-shooting and etc, using their proprietary tool/app that constantly need to be connected ? MCU ? Sensor ? Etc ?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 09:23:41 am by BravoV »

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #220 on: November 12, 2019, 07:21:21 am »
Most of the so called smart devices are dumb crap with smart crap strapped on the side. I reckon it’s possible to eviscerate the smart bits at some point. When that full size double smart fridge gets turfed for being software discontinued I’m going to be there to help dispose of it  8)

Yeah I imagine for now it's probably not too hard to bypass all the smart stuff, replace everything with an MCU of choice and program it to do whatever it has to do (keep temperature of a fridge for example) and call it a day.  May need to replace certain sensors with ones you buy so you know how to interface with them as theirs could be proprietary with no datasheet available but that's about it.

Eventually though I think they will make it so the stuff is so integrated that it will be a practical rebuild of the entire appliance.  For example they might even use "smart relays" that have logic built in, or even "smart motors" with the logic built right in etc so you can't just replace the control board and keep the other parts in tact as you won't be able to control those parts.   They might even put some "safety" interlocks where if you try to open it it just disables the product for good.   If they get their way and make it illegal they could even get people arrested if it sends a signal out when you try to open it.  Basically they'd make it so when you buy the product you're only buying a license to use it and you're not allowed to open it.  John Deere already does this.     I hope I'm wrong, but I could see it get that way.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #221 on: November 12, 2019, 08:00:31 am »
I’m hoping European warranty legislation will end that crap. It’s quite funny now when you take a 5 year old iPhone into Apple store and ask to exercise the Consumer Rights Act 2015. They actually deal with it. My sister got her iPhone 6 repaired last week.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #222 on: November 12, 2019, 08:35:02 pm »
In the future, there may certainly be an increasing number of products that will REQUIRE an internet connection to function properly (with all the crap you can imagine that comes with it.)
That's already the case with most "IoT" products. Sure this is what they are about, but come on. Do you really need an internet connection to be able to read the temperature inside your house? Because those gadgets are often just bricks if they have no internet connection. This is ridiculous.

So yes, hopefully some basic legislation will prevent the "require" part. For how long, I don't know... because we already see this is tolerated for all the so-called IoT crap. If tomorrow, all the TV sets are qualified as IoT devices, we'll be fucked. Plain and simple.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #223 on: November 13, 2019, 01:43:41 am »

I'll have to disagree. Many manufacturers, such as Samsung, LG, Sony, NEC, Philips and others produce commercial displays without the "smart" nonsense and many of them are actually reasonably priced. You generally will pay a bit more as they are displays which are designed for continuous operation or have other improvements over consumer models but even still, it's not unusual to find large commercial 4K displays for well under AUD$2000.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #224 on: November 13, 2019, 06:15:45 am »

I'll have to disagree. Many manufacturers, such as Samsung, LG, Sony, NEC, Philips and others produce commercial displays without the "smart" nonsense and many of them are actually reasonably priced. You generally will pay a bit more as they are displays which are designed for continuous operation or have other improvements over consumer models but even still, it's not unusual to find large commercial 4K displays for well under AUD$2000.

Exactly, the so called Professional Displays:

https://www.samsung.com/hk_en/business/smart-signage/professional-displays/

https://pro.sony/en_HK/products/professional-displays

https://business.sharpusa.com/Professional-Displays

https://www.philips.com/content/dam/b2c/category-pages/2017_USA_Range_Brochure.pdf

https://panasonic.net/cns/prodisplays/

Of course they are not going to cost the same as most of the SmartTVs, probably 2x or 3x more, but they are better constructed and the panels are better (handpicked no defects, best levels and colour reproduction, the others that are less capable are used in consumer tvs and PC LCDs).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf