Author Topic: Proof that software as service/cloud based, will never work for long term ...  (Read 10185 times)

Online BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Yep, don't be too complacent with VPN, just because the provider "claimed" they won't betray their customer.

Essentially the provider says ... "Trust us, because we said so ...".

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
VPN providers have to pay for traffic and transit which means it's expensive to run a VPN service. They are a race to the bottom industry at the same time so every cost cut and corner is cut. That leads to shitballs such as NordVPN who:

Get hacked and sat on it for months: https://techcrunch.com/2019/10/21/nordvpn-confirms-it-was-hacked/

Use dubious and unethical endpoints for traffic exits: https://medium.com/@derek./how-is-nordvpn-unblocking-disney-6c51045dbc30

Fucking nightmare companies.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
Sony did that to me years ago. YouTube went. Now I just steal all my content.

Where do you steal your Youtube content?

Online bd139

• Super Contributor

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
They've been doing that here for a long time now. The three strikes rule has been in place for years. I got my first claim of infringement in 2014.  I switched to a proxy service in 2015 just for torrents and haven't had a claim since.

That’s good to hear. Getting quite litigious here. The media companies are tracking peer IP addresses on torrents these days and contacting the ISPs who send you an email. Three strikes policy apparently.

Online james_s

• Super Contributor
VPN isn’t really a solution. They’re all shonky as fuck and run by morons. Also your behaviour on the end of it betrays you (cookies etc)

There's always the option of using VM's for specific purposes and avoiding any cross-pollination between them. You can have a VM that you *only* use for accessing a specific website for example.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
VPN isn’t really a solution. They’re all shonky as fuck and run by morons. Also your behaviour on the end of it betrays you (cookies etc)

There's always the option of using VM's for specific purposes and avoiding any cross-pollination between them. You can have a VM that you *only* use for accessing a specific website for example.

I do that with Facebook, for example (I wouldn't use it, but my whole family is on there...).

Do you think that stops the f@ckers from trailing me with ads?  I think other sites (eBay, Google, etc.) are feeding Facebook with information behind the scenes.

Online james_s

• Super Contributor
I don't even know, honestly other than the unobtrusive banner ads in this forum which I leave because they don't bug me and I figure it's doing Dave a favor, I don't remember the last time I saw an ad anywhere on the internet. I run adblock and noscript religiously and have for years. It reduces both my annoyance level and my likelihood of getting infected by some kind of malware.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor

I've started using a local DNS server that has a block list for the worst offenders,  it has helped a lot.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf