Author Topic: Proof that software as service/cloud based, will never work for long term ...  (Read 98356 times)

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
I hate how everything is moving to requiring apps now, that's basically just as bad as software as a service, even if the app is free, because you're basically relying on a "black box" that could stop working at any time. If they pull the app off the store, or stop updating it for newer phones etc you're basically out of luck.   But charging for it too?  That's even worse.

Our local taxi company decided to get rid of their landline and now you need an app to get a cab.  |O  I rarely use cabs but when I do it's because I had something to drink.  I use a custom rom so it won't work with any of these apps as there is no play store.  Looks like next party I'm going to, I'm walking home.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
How do visitors from out-of-town or out-of-country get a cab?

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
They probably don't, but in my experience of the various local firms using taxi-cab apps, they're abysmally useless.

They don't work like Uber or other services where there's a live connection between the cab and the server, so the planning logic can find a taxi that's plying for hire and is a reasonable distance away.  Instead, they almost universally just send an email or text to the booking line of the cab company, who then hopefully schedule you a taxi.  There's no synchronisation of the booking system with the taxi and in many cases, you can book a taxi that will never show up (busy times, for instance.) 

I have given up with them.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
Similar issue with parking around here: there are metered bays which you either phone in and give them your credit card number, or use an app to do the same. I don't often park in those kinds of bays, but one hospital is totally dependent on them so needs must. Second time I chose to use the app and it was much less painful that phoning in, of course.

However, not I have the app and I notice these bays elsewhere. I took a trip into London and the place I was visiting had a car park round the back, so I figured I should take a fistful of coins. But it turned out to use the very same app and since I was that was already set with my card a registration number I just had to run it, agree I was where the GPS said I was, and it was done.

Now, I actively look for parking places covered by that app no matter which part of the country I am visiting. Sometimes this stuff works very well, although I'd be the first to be suspicious of some random app for a local business.

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
I found this exploit of smart parking lots to be interesting: scammers posted fake QR codes to take payments that parkers thought we’re paying for parking: https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/transportation/2022/01/31/418095/houston-drivers-are-asked-to-be-alert-to-a-parking-meter-scam/amp/

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
Clever!

All the more reason to use an app, I think. But only a decent one :)

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor

Guessing at some point the app will be more advertised and they'll have to go find it in play store and download it.  Quite annoying actually since if every town does this it means you're going to have to go through that process each time.  I presume you need to make an account and all that jazz too.  If you're traveling you may also not have access to your computer to check your email so you'll have to set that up on your phone too.  Sounds like a royal pain honestly, vs just making a phone call. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
I hate how everything is moving to requiring apps now, that's basically just as bad as software as a service, even if the app is free, because you're basically relying on a "black box" that could stop working at any time. If they pull the app off the store, or stop updating it for newer phones etc you're basically out of luck.   But charging for it too?  That's even worse.

Our local taxi company decided to get rid of their landline and now you need an app to get a cab.  |O  I rarely use cabs but when I do it's because I had something to drink.  I use a custom rom so it won't work with any of these apps as there is no play store.  Looks like next party I'm going to, I'm walking home.

Are there no alternative cab companies? - not all of them are "numberless"

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor

We basically have 2 here, but I think one bought the other, so we're down to one now.  I don't use cabs very often but I'll definitely want to inform myself next time I do.

I have a feeling this setup is not going to work long term and they'll go back to having a phone number and dispatcher though.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
https://hackaday.com/2022/08/12/local-simulation-feature-to-be-removed-from-all-autodesk-fusion-360-versions/

I really wish there was some fully freeware CAD programs that were viable.  I find the ecosystem for CAD now days sucks because of this cloud based/subscription stuff.

The closest thing is FreeCAD, but it's not exactly intuitive to use at all. 

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
https://hackaday.com/2022/08/12/local-simulation-feature-to-be-removed-from-all-autodesk-fusion-360-versions/

I really wish there was some fully freeware CAD programs that were viable.

I wish there was some affordable alternative to Autodesk. Asking for freeware just says no-one is interested in acknowledging others hard work, they just want free stuff, and the issue of cloud and subscriptions is overlooked. Please please please please please don't let's get an aversion to subscriptions be conflated with freetards.

The following users thanked this post: madires, harerod

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor

We basically have 2 here, but I think one bought the other, so we're down to one now.  I don't use cabs very often but I'll definitely want to inform myself next time I do.

I have a feeling this setup is not going to work long term and they'll go back to having a phone number and dispatcher though.

Recently I was at an airport and tried to hail an Uber on my phone.  The app was so slow and unresponsive that I gave up, and walked over to the taxi rank instead....   Not only was this a lot easier and faster, but to my surprise, the cost was not higher than Uber!

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
With PWAs it seems ridiculous to me for a small company to offer a native app. The PWA will let them get an icon on the home screen for better sell through just fine and they have a functional website in the bargain as well.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
Recently I was at an airport and tried to hail an Uber on my phone.  The app was so slow and unresponsive that I gave up, and walked over to the taxi rank instead....   Not only was this a lot easier and faster, but to my surprise, the cost was not higher than Uber!

Service quality of Uber has really deteriorated in the last 2-3 years I'd say.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline AnalogueLove1867

• Regular Contributor

most ordinary cabs still respond to landlines or ordinary mobile phone calls.....
That is the case in Australia at least.
In fact all the major cabs here don't require a phone application at all.
So I don't understand what the issue is.

Offline AnalogueLove1867

• Regular Contributor

Service quality of Uber has really deteriorated in the last 2-3 years I'd say.

Uber is and always was a hipster "for the people by the people" startup that appeals to the lowest common denominator.
The worst passengers and the worst drivers are attracted to it like flies on a doggy doo.
It's the craigslist of taxi services.
As is typical for self-professed "entrepreneurs" these days, the founders Travis Kalanick and Garret Camp
are experts at selling ideas to investors and then after gaining enough traction, selling those ideas to huge corporations.

Offline AnalogueLove1867

• Regular Contributor

I really wish there was some fully freeware CAD programs that were viable.  I find the ecosystem for CAD now days sucks because of this cloud based/subscription stuff.

The closest thing is FreeCAD, but it's not exactly intuitive to use at all.

I don't respect people
 that ask for free highly complex programs & technology and complain about poor quality of said free stuff.
It is the same people that have no problems with stealing other peoples ideas.
It is the same people who are only obsessed with privacy and freedom of speech because they are worried about police finding CP on their computer.
The same people jump through hoops every day like an acrobat to defend their terrible free programs whilst finding faults in non GNU / open-source software.
It is all weirdly tinged with a kind of ASD/communist/hippy mentality that is exemplified by Richard Stallman himself.
Everything would be so much better if the Linux / GNU / Hacker / freeware community was more like Linus Torvalds.

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
I don't like people who ask me to change the license of my software from GPL to BSD because they want to take and don't want to give back...

The following users thanked this post: AnalogueLove1867

Offline olkipukki

• Frequent Contributor

Yes, Autodesk has a lot of telemetry to decide what to do next and how to earn $$$.

People who bought 3-years license and assumed all features been locked - delusion about that, some features moved to add-ons extra paid packages and effected on these too.
Why? Just read T&C!

Autodesk warrants that, for any paid subscription, as of the date on which the subscribed-for Offering is made available to You and for 90 days thereafter or, if the subscription period is shorter, such shorter period (“Warranty Period”), the Offering will provide the general features and functions described in the end-user Documentation for the Offering.

P.S.
A hard reality, not much alternative for similar functionality, do you want SolidWorks or NX perpetual license - be ready paid 5 figures upfront + maintenance to keep up the latest updates

Offline olkipukki

• Frequent Contributor
I wish there was some affordable alternative to Autodesk.

Would a perpetual license cost equal to 1-year AutoCAD consider 'affordable'?

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
I wish there was some affordable alternative to Autodesk.

Would a perpetual license cost equal to 1-year AutoCAD consider 'affordable'?

Depends entirely on the user wanting same. For me it wouldn't since I use TurboCAD (which is a perpetual license).

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor

I really wish there was some fully freeware CAD programs that were viable.

I wish there was some affordable alternative to Autodesk. Asking for freeware just says no-one is interested in acknowledging others hard work, they just want free stuff, and the issue of cloud and subscriptions is overlooked. Please please please please please don't let's get an aversion to subscriptions be conflated with freetards.

True, something that I can pay ONCE for and also not need to remortgage my house would work too. 

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
I remember that Solidworks can be obtained for relatively cheap through EAA. Not sure on the details.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf