Author Topic: QR Codes. Is there much use of them in your experience ?  (Read 4350 times)

Offline FreelanderTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
QR Codes. Is there much use of them in your experience ?
« on: December 06, 2017, 05:51:40 pm »
Hi,
A colleague in China asked me about the use of QR codes in the EU and the Trump Banana Republic. ::) . Oz would also qualify as well (not as a banana republic of course) - as a potential user.
He believes that adding QR coding to his website for the 'west' will have a major impact on usability and sales - to which I coughed a few times....

Ok, in Asia there seems to be a HUGE interest and use of QR codes. From finding information on items in stores to paying for cups of coffee.

In the 'west' though, I personally see very very VERY little, if any, use (in fact I know of no-one that has ever been bothered to use one or can even see the point in them) - caveat - apart from one guy I  know who has the 'alipay' application that he uses for aliexpress. - but has since used his debit card as he finds searching the site a PITA on a mobile device....

I ONCE experimented with a QR code that came with my QNAP Nas -  It was for starting the automated setup. I scanned it and the link was broken - ho hum .. never bothered again. It was far easier to actually type 'start.qnap.com' into the browser, job sorted.

I think for a few years QR were on every damn thing -even cornflakes packets as the marketing bods told all that this was 'the next big thing' (which was shortly after the 'last big thing' and slightly before the 'next NEXT big thing'

My experience and the people I have talked to indicates zero interest at all for QR. -
The people also knew of no other person who had ever shown any interest at all in using this tech.
I think it is a solution looking for a non existent problem. But, that is only IMHO. and in my own experience. Perhaps you have a completely different outlook, opinion and usage of QR ?

so, please.
What are your own thoughts and usage regarding QR codes ?. Do you actually use them ? if so, how often,  and what for.  ?
How common is usage, that you are aware of, in your circle of acquaintances / friends ?

Much appreciated. !
FL.

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
Re: QR Codes. Is there much use of them in your experience ?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 06:22:26 pm »
Not exactly QR codes, but my bank uses coloured 2D codes as a way to communicate with a verification key generator (which takes your bank card) for online transactions. That way they can securely communicate the recipient (only for singly transactions) and the amount transferred to the generator, which it then shows on its own display.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 06:24:18 pm by Marco »

The following users thanked this post: Freelander

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 06:24:29 pm »
Not exactly QR codes, but my bank uses coloured 2D codes as a way to communicate with a verification key generator (which takes your bank card) for online transactions.
Hi Marko, thanks for the reply. I have seen that kind of system but I am specifically referring to QR codes.
Cheers
FL

Offline Retep

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 06:34:46 pm »
I couple of years ago I saw those QR codes in a lot of places. But the last  couple of years I haven't seen them much anymore. I think the average person won't know what to do with them, or if they do can't be bothered to figure out which app can actually read those.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 07:13:43 pm »
QR Codes are only used for whatsapp web. I occasionally use them to transfer an URL to my phone, since it's quick with a web plugin.
iPhones can read them in the camera app now!

I have never used an QR code randomly found on the web. I have in the real world, since some IoT apps use them to pair with devices.
Sometimes there are websites with a  "download app" qr code, that might also work, if people would understand the purpose of the square things. Spoiler: they do not.

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 07:26:20 pm »
Our new office phone system uses a QR code to initiate configuration of the mobile app.  You log into your account on the management website, it gives you a QR code.  You scan the code with the app, and it loads your user information and phone configuration.  That part seemed to work quite well.  I assume (or hope) it contains a one-time token of some sort to prevent it from being captured and reused elsewhere, like any other sort of one-time validation code.  Although I'm not sure how a QR code is more useful for their purposes than the ~5 digit alphanumeric codes that most other systems seem to use. 

That's the first time I've actually used a QR code in a long time, though. 

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 07:33:13 pm »
QR code = no typo on mobile = happy camper

I put them on some things. If you want to make it easy for someone to look something up on their phone, they're great. And I doubt you'll find too many people under 40 who can't work out what they're for.

In NZ we often see them on advertising posters and such, which I'm sure sounds wonderful if you're in marketing, but IRL I can't believe they ever get scanned.

Occasionally I wish a website provided one. Typically this'd be for a download link for something phone specific.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 07:48:04 pm »
Most useful for mobile purposes, although I don't think I have used one myself in anger.

One area  where they do see a lot of use is in cryptocurrency transaction,  mobile wallets etc,  which would be pretty impractical without them.

I do have a QR on my shipping sender address labels, but was just to be one of the cool kids, I can't imagine anybody really used it.  I also have one on  the recipient address label because I had grand plans of automated photo-taking of outgoing packages and recognising the qr to associate with orders in system, but generating the qr in the label was about as far as that project ever got :-)
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline woody

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 07:55:15 pm »
I label devices I make for a customer with a sticker containing a serial number and a QR code. The code links to a (protected) webpage that contains the history (repair/test/etc) of the device.

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 08:15:12 pm »
One area  where they do see a lot of use is in cryptocurrency transaction,  mobile wallets etc,  which would be pretty impractical without them.
Also 2FA. Things like Google Authenticator.

Anywhere you want to get something easily and typo-freely into a phone.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 09:22:50 pm »
barcodes and QR codes are such a great way to speed up data entry and reduce errors, and are severely underutilized.

Outside of work, I don't use it too often though: sending cryptocurrency, syncing to whatsapp or portal (phone to PC wireless link).
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 10:22:52 pm »
barcodes and QR codes are such a great way to speed up data entry and reduce errors, and are severely underutilized.

Outside of work, I don't use it too often though: sending cryptocurrency, syncing to whatsapp or portal (phone to PC wireless link).
I think those are very valid points. A few 'out loud' responses...
The main thing differentiating QR and Bar is the numerical info used alongside (under) Bar and also the fact that Bar is ubiquitous in the data entry / retrieval / cataloguing, inventory and is already on virtually every single product available, and, does the job very well.
In a sales environment, any failure to correctly read a bar can be manually over-ridden whereas QR does not offer this opportunity.
I believe Barcodes have been extremely well utilized and continue to be. I do not personally see any actual benefit to a changeover to QR, actually I see drawbacks.
I cannot actually see a use for QR OVER Bar. One of the original 'concepts' of QR was the ability to post a LARGE image that can be photographed from a distance (ie - 'escalator / subway / tube type advertising). This seems to have  gone down like a lead balloon in the 'west'.
AFAIK, the camera and associated software has absolutely no issue in reading barcodes.
One could perhaps put forward an argument that IF a 'code' type input was needed or advantageous then the bar code could do the job perfectly well. Some arguments say that the permutations of 2d barcodes are limited however they are, in the real world, not limited in a meaningful sense. 10 sequence can equal 3.6 quadrillion permutations using alphanumeric representation. It would be interesting to have a reflective scan barcode reader built into a 'phone' as opposed to photographic OIR.
I cannot help thinking that the wheel is trying to be re-invented ?
Just IMHO of course.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 10:26:21 pm by Freelander »

Offline steve30

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stephen Coates' Homepage
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 10:31:40 pm »
I've been aware of them for ages but have never used one until recently. Firstly, I've never seen the point. Secondly, I don't have a QR code reader.

They evidently have some industry-specific uses though. One of my local bus companies recently purchased ticket machines with QR code readers. The ticket is printed with a QR code which you show to the reader on your next journey, and it beeps.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 10:55:55 pm »
I believe Barcodes have been extremely well utilized and continue to be. I do not personally see any actual benefit to a changeover to QR, actually I see drawbacks.

Information density, as with any 2D barcode is far far higher than a 1D barcode

Information capability, especially 1D barcode schemes are typically severely limited in the information they can represent, a QR code can contain essentially arbitrary data.

Resiliency, error correction (not just detection) is baked in.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline tablatronix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 11:37:07 pm »
I use qr codes everyday, ios 11 camera now scans them by default also. Use them alot for wifi ap sharing and iot app download links

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 12:01:24 am »
In a sales environment, any failure to correctly read a bar can be manually over-ridden whereas QR does not offer this opportunity.
I cannot actually see a use for QR OVER Bar. One of the original 'concepts' of QR was the ability to post a LARGE image that can be photographed from a distance (ie - 'escalator / subway / tube type advertising). This seems to have  gone down like a lead balloon in the 'west'.
AFAIK, the camera and associated software has absolutely no issue in reading barcodes.
One could perhaps put forward an argument that IF a 'code' type input was needed or advantageous then the bar code could do the job perfectly well. Some arguments say that the permutations of 2d barcodes are limited however they are, in the real world, not limited in a meaningful sense. 10 sequence can equal 3.6 quadrillion permutations using alphanumeric representation. It would be interesting to have a reflective scan barcode reader built into a 'phone' as opposed to photographic OIR.
I cannot help thinking that the wheel is trying to be re-invented ?
Just IMHO of course.

The QR codes I use will have the "important" data written below them in plain text. So for example a license code might have 20 digits but the first 16 are always the same for that product, the last 4 digits will be printed beside the QR. If whoever put the code did not put some plain text beside it, that's a failure on their part.

Reflective scan readers are still used a lot, but should really be replaced by optical at some point. A good optical reader can read at any orientation, at a wide range of distances, and at significant angles. Good is not cheap yet though, about $400 for the optical reader I've used compared to a basic reflective reader which might be <$40.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 03:02:30 am »
I think Australia isn't much different - at least in my experience.  The QR codes are there, but it's only specific purpose that would make me scan one - and billboards aren't really in there at all.

To be honest, the greatest use of a QR code I know of is what I did for a friend who ships stuff daily through their local post office.  I took the QR code on the back of their MyPost card and put it on the form they use for the post office.  The counter staff just have to scan this code to have any payments recorded with a 'digital receipt'.  This was working perfectly until last week when (I believe) Australia Post introduced their Shipster product.  The codes still scan - but the Australia Post system doesn't handle them at all.  The alternative is for the email address to be manually typed in - which is much slower and open to error.

Must send Australia Post a question: "Have they ever heard of Integration Testing, System testing, Regression testing ... as well as Unit testing??".
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 03:05:09 am by Brumby »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 12:07:06 pm »
My Chinese friend has been telling me about all the things they use the QR codes for in China. They can even order items from a menu in a restaurant (whilst seated IN the restaurant) by scanning the codes and sending them. How much they find useful and how much is a novelty I know not.
He sent me this picture of a beggar in the street with QR codes on his sign for people to donate. ;)
He actually says it DOES happen as it saves the beggar from being robbed !. :o
In the big cities they are moving rapidly to a cashless society. Personally, I prefer cash, however, I am an old git in terms of so called 'smart phone' technology.  :-DD

I think the best thing about smart phones is watching people walk into lamp posts - the zombie walkers with their head down having a fix of their drug. it is a constant fix need though, not a quick shot. We had a stupid young woman in front of us (whilst we were driving a 2 ton 4 x 4) pushing a pram ahead of her into the road without looking at all !. I presume she had her head buried in faeces-book or whatever it is called.  :palm: - she was SO lucky. It should be an offence, but that is another topic.
I think the general  faeces-book zombies would never use other tech as they are too hooked on getting their daily fix of their 500 'friends' saying they are bored.

See ? - Old AND Grumpy... :-//

Pah humbug...

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 05:01:56 pm »
We use QR codes for automated registration of handheld devices into a security portal, they're dynamically generated on a per user basis and work well.

Prepaid postage on Royal Mail uses them too and I think a few other 'print your own despatch label' couriers use them too.

Outside of that, not so much, I'd not consider using them on any promo material and I know graphic designers who will fight to the death (OK, perhaps not quite that far) to try and convince clients they're  bad thing.

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 05:20:31 pm »
boston robotics use them so spot can find the door.
traffic signs for autonomous vehicles maybe the thing  8)
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 05:36:58 pm »
There is a payment system here, where you can pay or send money with a QR code on your phone screen. You push send X amount button, enter pin of your debit, they read it with the other app, done.
I have a QR code on my CV leading to my Linkedin page.
Every physical manual I'm writing has an online version, with QR codes linking to it.
Every smart device should have links to apps and whatnot in their manual, not "download this from appstore". That is just rude.
So yeah, they are useful.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 05:59:32 pm »
UPS is using them on shipping labels, CanadaPost is using them, train tickets using them, airlines tickets using them. Just the latter alone answers the question in the topic Subject.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 06:00:59 pm »
There is a payment system here, where you can pay or send money with a QR code on your phone screen. You push send X amount button, enter pin of your debit, they read it with the other app, done.
I have a QR code on my CV leading to my Linkedin page.
Every physical manual I'm writing has an online version, with QR codes linking to it.
Every smart device should have links to apps and whatnot in their manual, not "download this from appstore". That is just rude.
So yeah, they are useful.
2 things of concern here. You enter your Debit card PIN !!! ????????????? I hope you mean something else here. :wtf:

Also, what do you mean by 'links to 'apps' in their manual' ? By 'links, I presume you mean an HTTP address ?.  - and what is 'just rude' about asking someone to download from a website or 'store', I have nothing against someone wanting to put a QR code on a box or leaflet etc, but they MUST also put a REAL address and site details.
Apologies, but you are not very clear in what you are saying.
My PC and Laptop are very smart devices, however, I do not want to photograph a pictogram with a mobile phone to enable me to update a piece of software or to download a piece of software for a new device.  - ie - buy device for PC, need latest drivers or main application, QR on box, point phone at QR, info is downloaded to phone - hopefully, as opposed to link not found, then copy data from phone to pc. .... far far far easier to just access the manufacturer's site and download exactly what I need.

Just a personal mini 'dislike'
I wish people wouldn't use the word 'app' it is soooo, errr, yuk :palm:nothing more embarrassing than the balding 'Sat Nad' at Microsoft reluctantly using the offending word and trying to sound 'hip' ...totally  cringe inducing..
Tim Cook also really seems to cringe when he utters the offending word :-DD .
'Sat Nad' is probably the only person ever to have used the Windoze 10 Spyware 'store'.  :o

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2017, 06:03:35 pm »
UPS is using them on shipping labels, CanadaPost is using them, train tickets using them, airlines tickets using them. Just the latter alone answers the question in the topic Subject.
But, there is a HUGE difference in 'putting them on X Y Z and them actually being USED and USEFUL.
They have been on boarding cards / tickets for donkeys years yet I know of nobody who ever actually USED the QR..
Major difference OM.

edit - Cannot Splelllll.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:06:47 pm by Freelander »

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2017, 06:08:39 pm »
Yes, the PIN of your debit into your phone...
https://www.bancontact.com/en/bancontact-app

What is wrong with the word "app"... They are called that.
And QR code is much much more preferred than just the app name. Especially because there are what, 10 zillion apps in the appstore? So they come up with names like "X company Home smart device controller" Your phone is in your  hand. The manual is in your hand. Scanning qr takes 1 second.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf