Author Topic: Queensland University of Technology defends removing 'merit' from hiring policy  (Read 5752 times)

Offline EPAIII

• Super Contributor
She is an idiot. So they put her in charge of hiring at the university.

Sounds like an excellent reason NOT to attend that university.

No students. Problem solved.
Paul A.  -   SE Texas
And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
You will find that it has discrete steps.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
True, but there will always be tons of students applying. Probably just not the most capable ones.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
   (Knock on wood), If I end up in emergency room, gazing up at ER people, We don't want thems people to all look the same.
If I wake up in an ER room I do want the people to all look the same. Calm. In control. Well prepared. Knowledgable, Thorough. Are there any other qualities in a person's demeanour that might matter?

Open and honest about what they don't know. I hate bullshitters, and tend to trust someone after they have told me what they do and don't know.

Fortunately medicine is so much better nowadays that there is less need for the patient to only have faith the doctor will cure them.
Its interesting visiting a doctor, being asked your profession, and replying engineer. Usually, their faces light up. Here's someone with a STEM education and an analytical mind. They can have a meaningful conversation about what's wrong, and what can be done about it. This is clearly not the kind of interaction they have with most patients, and most medical people seem to appreciate the opportunity.

By and large that's been my experience, but the converse can also be true.

Sometimes they prefer an easy docile patient that believes them implicitly, and does as they are told. Questions means they have to think/ persuade, and that takes time and mental energy. A consultant once told me during an  excellent conversation, that I knew more than the average GP about the condition. Some GPs might not like that.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
   (Knock on wood), If I end up in emergency room, gazing up at ER people, We don't want thems people to all look the same.
If I wake up in an ER room I do want the people to all look the same. Calm. In control. Well prepared. Knowledgable, Thorough. Are there any other qualities in a person's demeanour that might matter?

It depends on who is doing the hiring, apparently, and stop being selfish  :)

If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Its interesting visiting a doctor, being asked your profession, and replying engineer. Usually, their faces light up. Here's someone with a STEM education and an analytical mind. They can have a meaningful conversation about what's wrong, and what can be done about it. This is clearly not the kind of interaction they have with most patients, and most medical people seem to appreciate the opportunity.

Happens to me a lot. Once you tell them you want to know every detail, and also when you ask really obscure technical questions, they really light up.
I'm the nerd that brings my thermal camera to the doctor  ;D
In fact if a doctor or whoever it is, could be a tradie for example, doesn't light up and start talking technical when you ask, that's someone whos incompetant and should be avoided IMO.

The following users thanked this post: Circlotron, CatalinaWOW

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
In fact if a doctor or whoever it is, could be a tradie for example, doesn't light up and start talking technical when you ask, that's someone whos incompetant and should be avoided IMO.
Either that or they are simply not a doctor / tradie / whatever at heart. They possibly won't do as good a job as someone who eats and sleeps the subject night and day because they love it.

That is such an interesting thought.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor

Happens to me a lot. Once you tell them you want to know every detail, and also when you ask really obscure technical questions, they really light up.
I'm the nerd that brings my thermal camera to the doctor  ;D

They can just be pushed for time, which can be difficult to avoid for <political rant omitted> :(

Being able to have such conversations is part of knowing you've found someone "compatible". Other people will have different versions, e.g. my mother who wanted doctors to tell her what to do and, to a lesser extent, why.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
Either that or they are simply not a doctor / tradie / whatever at heart. They possibly won't do as good a job as someone who eats and sleeps the subject night and day because they love it.

That is such an interesting thought.

When on interview panels, I always tried to find out what people did outside of their courses (and jobs), simply because they liked it. That is a good way of detecting (and avoiding) time servers.

And no, that doesn't mean I was looking for "passion" (ugh!) :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf