Author Topic: Question for UK members - Buying from TME (or Europe) post brexit.  (Read 815 times)

Offline monkey_magicTopic starter

• Contributor
I know there are a few UK members on here that may have encountered this already.

I realise I'm a bit late to the party but just logged in to my TME account to make a purchase and found out that post brexit they now only sell to UK businesses rather than individuals.
Seems some other suppliers state they no longer ship to the U.K at all.

TME suggested I fill in a form to register as a business, not quite sure on that logic - but I'm wondering what the process is now like for buying items from Europe and what extra charges I'm going to be lumbered with?
The order was well under £135, so hopefully dodging the customs charge - but it would be good to know what the real world experience is now like, as to whether it is even worth bothering with the amount of hassle for the odd one-off small order.

I do have somebody in Spain that could forward on a purchase to me, but that looks like just as much hassle, and presumably paying the VAT twice at each end.

I don't really want to proceed with an order and get hit by an unexpected massive handling fee, so any feedback or suggestions from those who have ordered recently would be gratefully appreciated.

Offline Jackster

• Frequent Contributor
    • PCBA.UK
Re: Question for UK members - Buying from TME (or Europe) post brexit.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 03:44:35 pm »
You just missed out on me ordering something the other day. Could have imported it for you.

Not sure what is up with TME around this. I didn't use to be VAT registered and it was no different to how I order now.

If they don't charge you VAT at checkout, DHL will ask for it along with a fee of around £10.

Offline Giallograle

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2024, 08:49:22 pm »
Just about to order from TME for delivery by DHL to the UK.

I'm not worried about Duty, but is UK Vat included in their prices, or will I have to pay that on delivery?

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2024, 10:00:21 pm »
Hmm, I've ordered from TME before, from New Zealand, without any problems. They didn't add any taxes, and as the total was far under NZ$1000 I was not charged anything on arrival.

I don't know why the UK would be any problem.

I'm registered as an individual. It was some time ago (2020) but I just now logged on to my account there and all looks normal, I could view my previous order etc.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf