Author Topic: Radio Shack Rant  (Read 34409 times)

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
Re: Radio Shack Rant
« Reply #100 on: March 05, 2014, 05:45:02 am »
RS is a strange beast. They are shrinking, but still making money. I heard recently they have one of the largest cash reserves of any retail chain based on relative size, but they cant seem to figure out how to grow. Selling batteries at double price ensures profitability, but really limits the over all volume of sales. Also its where where people in small communities by default get their cell phones and satellite TV. I am glad to see their new AD campaign however. Gotta keep things fresh as a company. They know they cannot compete on price with online or large format stores, but when you need that XYZ cable or ABC battery right that minute, its nice to have them there.
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

Offline kolonelkadat

• Regular Contributor
  • Obviously, windows are central to Windows.
    • Force Project X
« Reply #101 on: March 05, 2014, 05:51:26 am »
I went there the other day to buy some parts for a gate monitor. I walk up to the counter with like a project box and strip board, maybe a battery holder. The cashier asks me not "did you find everything okay" or whatever other upsell they are required to ask, but instead, dude asks me "are you building a bomb?"

It shocked me so much it physically knocked me back like I just took one on the chin. My mind was reeling. How do you answer some shit like that these days? I mean sure, hes probably just joking, but what if he isn't? Is he going to send my credit card info off to dhs so they can come swoop me.

I rolled the dice though. Went ahead and assumed he was joking. Got stopped by the cops on the way home. probably a coincidence. probably. :-//

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102 on: March 05, 2014, 06:01:47 am »

I rolled the dice though. Went ahead and assumed he was joking. Got stopped by the cops on the way home. probably a coincidence. probably. :-//

Good thing you didn't head to the local farm store and pick up some ammonium nitrate fertilizer first....

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: March 05, 2014, 06:03:40 am »
I went there the other day to buy some parts for a gate monitor. I walk up to the counter with like a project box and strip board, maybe a battery holder. The cashier asks me not "did you find everything okay" or whatever other upsell they are required to ask, but instead, dude asks me "are you building a bomb?"

It shocked me so much it physically knocked me back like I just took one on the chin. My mind was reeling. How do you answer some shit like that these days? I mean sure, hes probably just joking, but what if he isn't? Is he going to send my credit card info off to dhs so they can come swoop me.

Joking? They are asked to watch out for "you":
(Note: Only click on those links if you can afford to end up on some watchlist.)

You could be reported for being a terrorist!  ::)
http://info.publicintelligence.net/FBI-SuspiciousActivity/Electronic_Stores.pdf

And in hobby shops too:
http://info.publicintelligence.net/FBI-SuspiciousActivity/Hobby_Shops.pdf

Dave.

Comparing the old thread this is from

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/beware-buying-stuff-from-us-electronics-store!/msg150905/#msg150905

with recent events

http://www.eevblog.com/2014/02/24/element-14-holding-orders-based-on-us-government-watch-list/

might make you think ...

Just clicking on the links you provided will add you to some list.

Awesome!  :P

Dave.

Dave's wish got granted.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 06:14:21 am by Bored@Work »
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #104 on: March 05, 2014, 06:46:04 am »
They used to pull this crap until somebody filed a lawsuit. They used to ask for your phone number. Now they can't. It did one time years ago lead to an arrest of somebody who did build a bomb timer with parts from radio shack, but it was found to be too much of a liability and somebody sued a few years back. No more asking. 
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: March 05, 2014, 12:48:10 pm »

When I walk in, and one of the employees asks if I need help with something, the blank look I get when I ask for an LM357 regulator tells me exactly how much the company emphasizes component sales to their employees.

/rant

Here in Australia, we have a store called Dick Smith Electronics. You cannot even find a 1K resistor there, let alone a transistor. In general, the workers there don't even know what a resistor is.

What was once a reasonable electronics store where you could buy IC's, transistors and capacitors has become a laughing stock. They now only sell Chinese made consumer crap.

The former owner, Dick Smith, has his face still plastered on the store front. If it were me, I would be embarrassed.

This is what I think of Dick Smith...  :-DD

Offline mos6502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #106 on: March 05, 2014, 01:04:07 pm »

WTF? Sounds like a story from the Soviet Union or Nazi Germany.

How did the cop encounter go?
for(;;);

Offline rr100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107 on: March 05, 2014, 01:21:09 pm »
WTF? Sounds like a story from the Soviet Union or Nazi Germany.

Ahaha, read the link posted before, seems to be from a different reality (but unfortunately is ours...): http://www.eevblog.com/2014/02/24/element-14-holding-orders-based-on-us-government-watch-list/

And to think I've got from the US a watch similar to the "CASIO terrorist watch" (my favorite since 20+ years...).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf