Author Topic: Random Wordpress question  (Read 3153 times)

Offline ashley.hughesTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Rather by taught than told
    • Arduino Tutorials
Random Wordpress question
« on: October 01, 2011, 11:59:05 am »
Does anyone use word-press and if so  how do I unsticky/desticky (What every the anti-sticky term is) a post?

Googled I can find script's hit the help pages no luck, hoping someone here might have done it in the past
My Blog -> http://hughesy.net/wp
My Blog has some tutorials for Arduino mainly based around the mac environment, with xBee and  AppleScript
Starting 2nd year Electrical engineering

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
Re: Random Wordpress question
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 12:29:45 pm »
Do you mean the feature to stick a post to the front page?

If so, then in the Post editor, you click on "Edit" near "Visibility" on the right and tick the Stick box.

To change, edit the post again, edit visibility and untick the Stick box.

Richard

• Regular Contributor
    • Arduino Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 10:27:24 pm »
Thank you its now not my first post.
My Blog has some tutorials for Arduino mainly based around the mac environment, with xBee and  AppleScript

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 11:30:05 pm »
Did I answer your question?

Love your site:  http://ashleyhughesarduino.wordpress.com 

I really like the writing style - sort of  a narrative of what you did and why.  It is very easy and entertaining to read content like that.  All the relevant links are there. Fantastic!

Please keep going.

Richard

• Regular Contributor
    • Arduino Tutorials
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 12:21:29 am »
Thanks I find it hard to rouse up enough effort to add more posts but comments like that make me want to. Thanks

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 01:11:54 am »
Unfortunately you will never hear from most of the people who learn from your site.

Your content is exactly what people are looking for if they do a Google search on how to do something  - like building an Audio VU meter.

I was listening to a podcast with the authors of the Delta3D open source gaming engine. When asked how many people were using their engine, they said "We have no idea". 

They would turn up at trade shows, and see an interesting commercial simulator, and find out it is using their 3D engine.

The thing is I think you have a talent for this kind of writing.  I think if you wanted to, you could develop the site into something valuable - that is if you really want to regularly put hours into your site.  Perhaps moving your Wordpress site to your own $5 a month domain to allow you to really be able to customize Wordpress.

Richard

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
  • You do nothing, you get nothing.
    • Books, services and more:
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 03:21:52 am »
Thanks I find it hard to rouse up enough effort to add more posts but comments like that make me want to. Thanks

Just write what you think is interesting - then over time your audience will grow, feedback will arrive and motivation will increase.
My first couple of months was only a few thousand views, now it's ... well a lot more.
Two hints:
1 - Double check everything before you post it. People will jump all over the tiniest of errors.
2 - Negative feedback is a part of life - you will receive constructive criticism which is good and helps you learn; and you will also receive crap from people who are just a waste of oxygen. E.g. being called a Communist for using the metric system. Just laugh and move on.

Otherwise keep up the great work and have fun :)

• Regular Contributor
    • Arduino Tutorials
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 09:29:27 am »

Just write what you think is interesting - then over time your audience will grow, feedback will arrive and motivation will increase.
My first couple of months was only a few thousand views, now it's ... well a lot more.
Two hints:
1 - Double check everything before you post it. People will jump all over the tiniest of errors.
2 - Negative feedback is a part of life - you will receive constructive criticism which is good and helps you learn; and you will also receive crap from people who are just a waste of oxygen. E.g. being called a Communist for using the metric system. Just laugh and move on.

Otherwise keep up the great work and have fun :)

Lol, I am one of the many people that read your blog every time you have a new post. Thanks I will start adding more of my projects now as I believe there starting to get to a level where it is worth it. Where before I was just tinkering.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf