Author Topic: RANT: People calling themselves engineers.  (Read 160869 times)

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
Re: RANT: People calling themselves engineers.
« Reply #475 on: June 12, 2014, 02:26:27 am »
It was/is a great company, but I won't name it as people hate "Big Oil Companies" for reasons that usually are not fact based.

I love them. They work hard to bring gasoline from deep holes in far deserts all the way to my car here.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #476 on: June 12, 2014, 07:19:56 am »
It was/is a great company, but I won't name it as people hate "Big Oil Companies"
We dont hate them. Only emotionalists do so. Look Facebook for that.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #477 on: June 12, 2014, 12:41:43 pm »
It was/is a great company, but I won't name it as people hate "Big Oil Companies"
We dont hate them. Only emotionalists do so. Look Facebook for that.

Yes, I over generalized, but it's a opinion shared by a vast number of people often handed down from generation to generation. It's a easy target for politicians every time gas prices spike even though sales gas taxes are based on percentage of price, so they go up too. Big oil companies ROI is usually less then the fast food companies.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #478 on: June 12, 2014, 11:48:53 pm »
It was/is a great company, but I won't name it as people hate "Big Oil Companies" for reasons that usually are not fact based.

I love them. They work hard to bring gasoline from deep holes in far deserts all the way to my car here.

It's more likely that the oil comes from the Gulf of Mexico and not the Persian Gulf.

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
« Reply #479 on: June 13, 2014, 12:25:42 am »

It's more likely that the oil comes from the Gulf of Mexico and not the Persian Gulf.

It comes from all over the U.S., 100 year old fields in Calif are still producing. Peak oil has not been reached.

Online Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #480 on: June 13, 2014, 12:59:51 am »
Peak oil has not been reached.
Neither has peak price.

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
« Reply #481 on: June 13, 2014, 01:27:44 am »
Neither has peak price.

And I paid 29 cents for a hamburger as a youth. Raising oil prices in time is what will make alternate fuel supplies a reality rather then the subsidized mess we have today. The whole corn ethanol fraud is an example of government trying to do stuff it has no business doing, and now it's an entrenched lobby that congress can't afford to offend, let alone eliminate.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #482 on: June 13, 2014, 03:42:23 am »
Add as well the Saudi states are investing heavily in gas to fuel based on the Sasol plant method, to increase the value of the product sold at source, and to use the otherwise uneconomical to ship gas they have plenty of. Moving a VLCC full of oil or diesel costs the same, just that you have a better profit margin for diesel over heavy crude.

When I was young sweets cost under a cent ( South Africa had a half cent coin until the 1980's) for multiple.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #483 on: June 13, 2014, 11:21:59 am »
The tree huggers are right about one thing: there is a limit on our carbon energy reserves. Some solutions will need to be found or energy prices will continue to rise.

I would also add that if you look at the whole petro economy, it makes little sense that we derive 80% of value add on 20% of the petro input (through petro chemical processes). The other 80% is consumed in transportation, the least value-add.

I wouldn't mind if prices rise on that portion of the petro consumption. It would be beautiful to see $10/gl or $20/gl gas prices.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #484 on: June 13, 2014, 12:25:25 pm »
The tree huggers

Did you know that it is literally impossible to think about something clearly and without bias once you've assigned a nickname or label that has its own connotation?  There's way too much of this namecalling BS going on these days, and it's done to influence the reader/listener without making it obvious that they're being influenced. (It's a cheap trick to sway people to their side.)

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #485 on: June 13, 2014, 01:18:36 pm »
Did you know that it is literally impossible to think about something clearly and without bias once you've assigned a nickname or label that has its own connotation?  There's way too much of this namecalling BS going on these days, and it's done to influence the reader/listener without making it obvious that they're being influenced. (It's a cheap trick to sway people to their side.)

He used it to give more validity to his point. "I am not a tree hugger and therefore you should take my tree hugger opinion more seriously".

You are right, labels are used all the time to manipulate opinions and are a good way to detect bias in the media (e.g "Obama's landmark initiative" vs "Obama's controversial initiative"). NPR for example is full of these subtle manipulations.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #486 on: June 13, 2014, 05:48:38 pm »
The tree huggers are right about one thing: there is a limit on our carbon energy reserves. Some It would be beautiful to see $10/gl gas prices.
Visit Europe and your dream comes true today.

Offline JFA

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #487 on: June 15, 2014, 12:42:43 am »
How to make energy cheaper than coal, and synthetize hydrocarbon fuels...

Thorium Remix 2011 (DVD Version)

Offline johansen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #488 on: June 17, 2014, 02:58:10 am »
Neither has peak price.

i think its very close. allegedly, the oil coming out of the ground in certain places in the middle east is 90% water.. sea water they have pumped into the ground to push the oil out..

however,the following is the testimony  from my late grandfather.
he worked as a test oil driller. they drilled hundreds of test wells and capped them, over a 20+ year time frame.

not one dry spot was found. provided, you were at least 5 miles offshore and drilled at least 5000* feet below the sea floor.
he did a lot of drilling off the coast of Europe, and from northern Alaska to the bottom of South America.
*might have been 2000 feet, i'm trying to recall.

if the price of oil gets to the point that nations start to lose it, there will be rogue oil wells guarded by mercs, all over the world. currently, most of the fields my grandfather explored are offlimits.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 03:11:05 am by johansen »

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #489 on: June 17, 2014, 05:27:12 am »
currently, most of the fields my grandfather explored are offlimits.

Did he leave you a secret map of this locations?

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #490 on: June 17, 2014, 10:23:42 am »
however,the following is the testimony  from my late grandfather.

That's not important. Peak oil or not, it will run out at some point, as our rate of consumption far exceeds its rate of accumulation (production if you will). It is simply a matter of time for that to happen.

So it makes sense that we start on a solution on that now.

That's something those tree huggers got right.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #491 on: June 17, 2014, 11:21:10 am »
Watch this video and we know, where we will be 20 years from now:

Jon Stewart on:
An energy independent future:

(Sorry, the better video version is blocked in Germany)

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf