Author Topic: Rant. Why I'm not going to see Rise of Skywalker  (Read 6790 times)

Offline Ed.KloonkTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
Rant. Why I'm not going to see Rise of Skywalker
« on: December 21, 2019, 03:48:38 am »
Reading Cinemas.

Their stupid bloody website.

Once a year I go to the cinema, not really a flick fan. Only go for the experience. Nice big screen, sit there with my drink and popcorn. Nice big gold lounge seat.

Herein lies the problem. Trying to pre purchase a damn ticket for a seat. For any session, before you can even see if any seats are available, there are four fields that must be selected for -every- search: the location, the movie, the date, the session time.

Then, you get sent to another page asking how many seats. Then, because the movie is a new release..THE SESSION IS SOLD OUT. Why is it an option to even click on it if it is full?

You then have to go through the whole procedure again.

Why can't they print on the drop down list X seats remaining?

The Accoms websites like booking.com can do it. "Hurry, last room still available" - though I suspect that's a sham and a rant for another day.

iratus parum formica

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
Re: Rant. Why I'm not going to see Rise of Skywalker
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 11:07:58 am »
I'm not going to see it because of the last Star Wars movie, it was such a turkey that I'm not going to risk my time and cash on another one.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, MagicSmoker, I wanted a rude username

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 11:42:58 am »
I always go to cinema on a week day morning about three weeks after the film is released. Get the whole place to myself so I can pick a seat, chew loudly and fart as much as I want.

Matters less if it’s a turkey then. But it’s Star Wars - what do you expect? The whole series runs like it was written from the dictation by a 5 year old of night terrors of someone snooting coke off the ass crack of a hooker.

Online bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 11:59:22 am »
After Disney took over , the movies have become boring and "Too decent"

I'm skipping too

/Bingo

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 12:01:07 pm »
THE SESSION IS SOLD OUT. Why is it an option to even click on it if it is full?
Ah, but is it sold out? These days concert and cinema web sites do weird things with the seating, indicating the whole place has sold out, when many of the seats just haven't been released for sale. I don't know what this is supposed to achieve. It might make the event look more popular than it is, and build up some buzz, but many people will just go away thinking they missed out. I recently went to a concert that appeared to be sold out months in advance when I first tried to buy tickets. However I went back to the web site some time later and was able to buy tickets, even in the better parts of the theatre. A few checks after successfully buying, to see what was going on, showed decreasing and increasing amounts of seats still available. The actual event was pretty much full, so they did managed to genuinely sell out. Ticket selling is an old game, so I assume the practices being used have proven successful, but they puzzle me.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 12:03:35 pm »
After Disney took over , the movies have become boring and "Too decent"
Disney is so messed up they took one of the most successful stage shows ever - cats - and turned it into one of the few movies ever to be getting zero stars in numerous reviews. That takes real talent.

The following users thanked this post: Cyberdragon

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 12:06:36 pm »
I saw cats here years ago. Totally agree. The trailer of the new Disney version is dire in comparison. One trick pony Disney are.

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2019, 04:02:19 pm »
The original Star Wars® movie was a self contained story with a begining, middle and end. All prequels and sequels are just fragments of this story. There's no new big ideas like a Death Star®, a Light Saber®, two sun sunsets® and dressing like a Wookie® on Halloween®.  It's permutations on existing characters, locations and time-lines. As the CGI becomes ever more impressive, so the story concept... flatlines.

This is not the point. Star Wars® is not art it's a f®anchise. All of those associated merchandising options including toys, games and Comic Con®, make a fortune for LucasArts®. Who then get to invest in bringing us even more of the same f®anchise.

Parents, oh what festive joy, another set of Lego Star Wars® minifigs® on Amazon® to add to your kids existing Indiana Jones® and Harry Potter® minifigs®.

Offline 001

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2019, 04:13:57 pm »
I see a lot of dumb silly treads, ugly schematics and overpriced crap every saturday
Is it real world or I`m so evil ?

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2019, 06:49:32 pm »
The original Star Wars® movie was a self contained story with a begining, middle and end. All prequels and sequels are just fragments of this story. There's no new big ideas like a Death Star®, a Light Saber®, two sun sunsets® and dressing like a Wookie® on Halloween®.  It's permutations on existing characters, locations and time-lines. As the CGI becomes ever more impressive, so the story concept... flatlines.

This is not the point. Star Wars® is not art it's a f®anchise. All of those associated merchandising options including toys, games and Comic Con®, make a fortune for LucasArts®. Who then get to invest in bringing us even more of the same f®anchise.

Parents, oh what festive joy, another set of Lego Star Wars® minifigs® on Amazon® to add to your kids existing Indiana Jones® and Harry Potter® minifigs®.

Nails it! This post gets my vote as Post of the Month.

The following users thanked this post: Syntax Error

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2019, 06:57:05 pm »
I see a lot of dumb silly treads, ugly schematics and overpriced crap every saturday
Is it real world or I`m so evil ?

I thought you started all them?  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Ysjoelfir, Jacon

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2019, 08:36:09 pm »
I realized a few years ago that I just don't enjoy the experience of going out to a movie anymore. Cost aside, the seats are less comfortable than my sofa at home, I have no control over my environment, I have to deal with crowds and lines, noisy children, people messing with their mobile phones and all manner of other stuff. I finally sold off some movie gift cards I had accumulated over the years when I realized I hadn't gone out to a movie since 2015.

Then there is the fact that it's almost impossible to find anything I want to go see anymore. It's all a mindless sea of reboots, remakes and franchise sequels. I'll always have a soft spot for the original Star Wars movie, then the two early sequels I consider ok but not great. The more modern prequels have been mediocre to awful and it's only going downhill as Disney milks it for everything they can. I can't quite put a finger on why but there is something about Disney movies I just don't like and never really have. Even when I was a kid I was not really into Disney.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, Electro Detective

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2019, 08:50:16 pm »
I can't quite put a finger on why but there is something about Disney movies I just don't like and never really have. Even when I was a kid I was not really into Disney.

I think the same, but, The Jungle Book was very good. :-+
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2019, 11:28:14 pm »

fwiw if anyone missed out on Starship Troopers, it's well worth a watch and still holds up today,
better than a lot of todays sci-fi ordeals 

The first 'Starship Troopers' and 'Starship Troopers 3: Marauder' are the ones to go for, and buckle up!  8) 

'Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation' is ok and watchable, but the original main cast/actors aren't in it,
and TBH doesn't pump as well for me in comparison.. EMMV

Then there's the Riddick/Pitch Black movies starring Vin Diesel, nothing shabby about those, kickass all the way   :popcorn:

Tom Cruise has some goodies too: Oblivion, Edge Of Tomorrow, Minority Report, all well done  :-+

Back on topique: I will watch Rise of Skywalker, to ensure I'm done with this series/franchise/whatever of Star Was,

and revisit the original Star Wars trilogy on DVD or Bluray on occasion.. for the real deal   :clap:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2019, 12:15:06 am »
Rather liked Oblivion  :-+

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2019, 02:32:18 am »
I always go to cinema on a week day morning about three weeks after the film is released. Get the whole place to myself so I can pick a seat, chew loudly and fart as much as I want.

Matters less if it’s a turkey then. But it’s Star Wars - what do you expect? The whole series runs like it was written from the dictation by a 5 year old of night terrors of someone snooting coke off the ass crack of a hooker.

I can understand why you'd want the cinema all to yourself whilst indulging in your hookers and blow habit.

I don't mind a packed cinema despite the drawbacks I look at it as increasing my chances of survival in case of surprise ninjas.

It's just that there are a few random empty seats scattered across multiple sessions and days and unfortunately the website fails to present them in a concise way enough for my to tell them to take my money.

Airlines do it. Cruise lines do it with last minute cabins.
iratus parum formica

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2019, 02:36:14 am »
THE SESSION IS SOLD OUT. Why is it an option to even click on it if it is full?
Ah, but is it sold out? These days concert and cinema web sites do weird things with the seating, indicating the whole place has sold out, when many of the seats just haven't been released for sale. I don't know what this is supposed to achieve. It might make the event look more popular than it is, and build up some buzz, but many people will just go away thinking they missed out. I recently went to a concert that appeared to be sold out months in advance when I first tried to buy tickets. However I went back to the web site some time later and was able to buy tickets, even in the better parts of the theatre. A few checks after successfully buying, to see what was going on, showed decreasing and increasing amounts of seats still available. The actual event was pretty much full, so they did managed to genuinely sell out. Ticket selling is an old game, so I assume the practices being used have proven successful, but they puzzle me.

There was that vblogger who had problems getting tickets for the Solo movie and when he sat down there were a half a dozen other peeps.

iratus parum formica

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2019, 02:41:42 am »
The original Star Wars® movie was a self contained story with a beginning, middle and end. All prequels and sequels are just fragments of this story. There's no new big ideas like a Death Star®, a Light Saber®, two sun sunsets® and dressing like a Wookie® on Halloween®.  It's permutations on existing characters, locations and time-lines. As the CGI becomes ever more impressive, so the story concept... flatlines.

Lucas not showing up to the premiere was the biggest tell. No lame excuse such as "I had to go do my hair" or something. Nothing.

Or.
Did.
He? ...

iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective, Syntax Error

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2019, 06:44:42 am »
...Once a year I go to the cinema, not really a flick fan. Only go for the experience. Nice big screen, sit there with my drink and popcorn. Nice big gold lounge seat...

Hope you are not noisy.

I don't go to cinemas, except Gold Class which tends to have a better class of patrons rather than those who attend a regular cinema. Some people lack respect for others in cinemas, especially those with loud lolly or chip bags. Mobile phone addicts annoy me too.

At a regular cinema during a quiet film called Gravity, some prick next to me slurped noisily with his frozen coke for 20 minutes, then crinkled lolly bags for 10 minutes, then moved onto searching around for bloody popcorn :popcorn: with his right hand going up and down continuously to get the next piece of popcorn (well, I assume that was what he was doing). When more ice melted in his frozen coke, he started slurping again louder than ever.... sluuurrrpppp! I swapped seats and the mongrel just went at it louder, clearly to annoy me. I then lost it and told him where he can go. He ignored me and kept at it. I was tempted to :box: his lights out.

One another occasion some old bastard next to me would grunt or make a "hah" sound when anyone said anything in the film. I noticed the woman next to him was also a grunter. I should have given them a free frozen coke containing battery acid to burn out their vocal cords. The grunt family were the last straw... I do not attend a normal cinemas, even if I got free tickets. It is better for all concerned if I don't attend. Unless...

A technical solution to this problem is if the cinema transmits the audio in Bluetooth and sensitive patrons can use noise cancelling headphones if they wish. Now there's an idea!

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2019, 07:45:41 am »
...Once a year I go to the cinema, not really a flick fan. Only go for the experience. Nice big screen, sit there with my drink and popcorn. Nice big gold lounge seat...

Hope you are not noisy.

I don't go to cinemas, except Gold Class which tends to have a better class of patrons rather than those who attend a regular cinema. Some people lack respect for others in cinemas, especially those with loud lolly or chip bags. Mobile phone addicts annoy me too.

At a regular cinema during a quiet film called Gravity, some prick next to me slurped noisily with his frozen coke for 20 minutes, then crinkled lolly bags for 10 minutes, then moved onto searching around for bloody popcorn :popcorn: with his right hand going up and down continuously to get the next piece of popcorn (well, I assume that was what he was doing). When more ice melted in his frozen coke, he started slurping again louder than ever.... sluuurrrpppp! I swapped seats and the mongrel just went at it louder, clearly to annoy me. I then lost it and told him where he can go. He ignored me and kept at it. I was tempted to :box: his lights out.

One another occasion some old bastard next to me would grunt or make a "hah" sound when anyone said anything in the film. I noticed the woman next to him was also a grunter. I should have given them a free frozen coke containing battery acid to burn out their vocal cords. The grunt family were the last straw... I do not attend a normal cinemas, even if I got free tickets. It is better for all concerned if I don't attend. Unless...

A technical solution to this problem is if the cinema transmits the audio in Bluetooth and sensitive patrons can use noise cancelling headphones if they wish. Now there's an idea!

I wasn't Red Symonds and his twisties packet was it?

iratus parum formica

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2019, 12:57:41 pm »
Had not heard that song in 45 years. They used to play it on the 5th Floor at Myer Bourke St Store in 1974 when I worked part time in the Children's Shoes Dept when I was a high school student. Did anyone there listen to the lyrics? Incidentally, besides being an electronics engineer, I am also a trained children's shows fitter :wtf:.

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2019, 01:19:44 pm »
Had not heard that song in 45 years. They used to play it on the 5th Floor at Myer Bourke St Store in 1974 when I worked part time in the Children's Shoes Dept when I was a high school student. Did anyone there listen to the lyrics? Incidentally, besides being an electronics engineer, I am also a trained children's shoes fitter :wtf:.

There are worser songs they could have aired from the band's playlist.. "Why don't you all.. Why don't you all.."

;D
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2019, 02:28:11 pm »
The Mandalorian is the best thing (so far) to happen since Rogue One.

The rest of the movies have been various shades of crap (Although the Solo movie had its moments, but meh overall)
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline Clarmrrsn

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2019, 12:03:43 am »
Would not know about the Mandalorian as not been released in UK yet.  :wtf:  But if the reviews are anything to go by it should be worth the wait.

Rogue One was probably my second or third favourite Star Wars film of all time, a superb piece of filmmaking and not at all what I expected.

I remember the hairs standing up on my neck while watching it and my memory flicking back to watching the original series when I was just a nipper with my mother in the cinema.

Incidentally, does anyone else wish we could go back to the days of ushers monitoring the films and whacking anyone who breathed a little loudly on the back of the head with a large stick before ejecting them from the film.

People these days have no respect, if you are not getting treated to a nose full of the feet of the git behind you as he rests them on your shoulder, he is trying to see if he can move you forward a few rows by persistently kicking the back of your seat while holding a conversation about what he would like for his lunch the next day.

Hence why I have a projector onto a 180” screen and a pretty kicking Kef 5.1 surround system, most of the time I would rather wait for BluRay releases and watch at home with a few beers.  :popcorn:

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2019, 01:17:22 am »
Hence why I have a projector onto a 180” screen and a pretty kicking Kef 5.1 surround system, most of the time I would rather wait for BluRay releases and watch at home with a few beers.  :popcorn:

Same, I got me a 115" screen and 7.1 surround. I'll get around to calibrating the projector one day...
180" diagonal is like 4m across, you got a big screen there....

The good thing about Japan is the theaters are practically silent even when full.
Although it was weird watching Deadpool, only me and a couple other foreigners were actually laughing as the crappy jokes on screen. :D
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf