Author Topic: Raspberry Pi  (Read 5085 times)

Offline Ozzy Pete

Raspberry Pi
« on: January 10, 2013, 12:13:21 am »
what about element14 announcing they have sold over 500k Raspberry Pi's? anyone got one?

Offline Dataforensics

• Supporter
Re: Raspberry Pi
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 12:18:58 am »
Yes, its playing at being an NTP server at the moment. From Farnell as they still seem to be known as in the UK.

Offline 8086

• Super Contributor
    • Circuitology - Electronics Assembly
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 12:36:23 am »
Yup, mines being colo'd in Austria (not Australia ;))

Offline vvanders

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 03:54:19 am »
The wife got me one for Christmas since I'd been talking about it a lot. Haven't figured out what I'll use it for next, but it's a heck of a nifty device for the price.

Offline AlphZeta

• Regular Contributor
    • Kerry D. Wong
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 07:02:03 pm »
I got one from element14 last month as well. I read somewhere the the new latest ones were made in UK? But mine still has a sticker of "Made in China" on it.

Anyway, the board is a bit picky on the power supply. You will need a 5V one that can supply at least 1A of current and make sure the voltage at the board is within the acceptable range. Otherwise you will run into all kinds of weird problems (like keyboards not responding or repeating key strokes, intermittent network issues or stuck on boot, etc.) Also the IO pin out had changed for the latest board which is a bit confusing as well.

Offline Kibi

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 09:15:50 pm »
Yep, I've got two.

One has been running FreePBX for the last six months. FreePBX runs the home SIP phone system. I am using Cisco handsets, cheap ones from ebay.
I used to run Elastix on a 50W laptop, now with FreePBX on the Pi it's down to 2W  8)

The other Pi is a testbed, although I did run XBMC on it for a bit so that we could watch some 1080p, DTS  movies on the telly.

Offline amd

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 10:08:07 pm »
I got a couple of them. Very neat devices!
I did an extension board for the Raspberry Pi called RasPiComm (http://amesberger.wordpress.com/2012/09/24/raspicomm-update/)
It has a real-time clock, RS-232, RS-485, a 5-way joystick and 2 outputs.
Its an open source project, we also did drivers for it (https://github.com/amescon/raspicomm).
We also have a driver for the Steprocker board to control stepper motors (nice board with 256-microstep support and RS-485 interface) and a driver for an OLED Display and a sample tablet app to control the stepper motor.

It is all on my blog at http://amesberger.wordpress.com. Our website goes online this weekend.
RS-Components already bought the first batch, so it will be available soon.

Just if you have a lack of ideas ;)

Offline MikeK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 02:41:18 am »
I'm thinking about getting one myself.  Just a month ago I was running an experiment and wanted to upload the data to one of my Google docs.  Hadn't though to get an RPi, but I think it would do nicely at much less power than my regular PC.

Offline RayJones

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal Website
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 08:13:18 am »
Yep got 2, 3rd on the way.

I'm using them to suss out a RF link design using nRF24L01+ SPI modules.

The ability to have all the user interface already going for debug output etc makes it far easier than tooling about directly on a micro for the initial foray.

Once understood the C modules should transplant into whatever micro with appropriate changes to the hardware specific layer (famous last words).

First day of use seen one work as a XBMC - it seems to work OK for that, but was a bit sluggish at times.

Offline nitro2k01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 12:38:35 pm »
I got one from element14 last month as well. I read somewhere the the new latest ones were made in UK? But mine still has a sticker of "Made in China" on it.
Peel it off.  :-DD
They probably made a ton of boards which were initially planned to be populated in the UK, but then they had to change their plans.
Whoa! How the hell did Dave know that Bob is my uncle? Amazing!

Offline AlphZeta

• Regular Contributor
    • Kerry D. Wong
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 03:09:32 pm »
Peel it off.  :-DD
They probably made a ton of boards which were initially planned to be populated in the UK, but then they had to change their plans.

No kidding!!!!!! I just peeled the sticker off. See attached pictures.  :palm:

Offline AlphZeta

• Regular Contributor
    • Kerry D. Wong
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 12:09:53 am »
Hmm. interesting to see they have shuffled things around to accommodate a couple of mounting holes. They also dropped a row of pins between the audio and composite video. There are a couple of devices labeled F1 and F2 on mine where the screw near the USB is. Also I have a LED labeled labeled 10M where the one pictured has a label 100.

Yes, they did change the board a little bit in Rev 2. The most noticeable is the 512MB RAM versus the previous 256MB. Also, they had changed the pinout on the 2x13 headers which is a bit confusing.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electron Fiddler, FPGA Hacker, Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 02:07:00 am »
Anyway, the board is a bit picky on the power supply. You will need a 5V one that can supply at least 1A of current and make sure the voltage at the board is within the acceptable range. Otherwise you will run into all kinds of weird problems (like keyboards not responding or repeating key strokes, intermittent network issues or stuck on boot, etc.) Also the IO pin out had changed for the latest board which is a bit confusing as well.

I measured the current of my (first edition, made in China, original) Pi running XBMC a few months ago. It's about 300mA continuous and doesn't budge much if you put it under load. I think 1A is overkill. It will also run down to about 3.9V before showing signs of instability. I managed to get 1080p video playing down to 3.6V, but the CPU (not GPU) locked up, so it wouldn't stop playing the video (seems that the CPU isn't involved in playing the video at all, not even in loading data from the SD...) Very odd.

The newer made in UK boards have "Made in U.K." printed on them.

Offline tbbw

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 06:40:13 am »
I got a Pi with a acrylic case :)
The case is translerant so i can easely see the LED's in it and access the GPIO... realy worth the 15 bucks i payed for it :)
I run debian and xbmc on it.
I got mine March 2012 so iwe had mine for a while :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 06:43:06 am by tbbw »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf