Author Topic: Raspberry Pi GPU unlocking.  (Read 41933 times)

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
Re: Raspberry Pi GPU unlocking.
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2012, 08:08:17 pm »
BTW, sharp claims a RGB+Y colour setup
Real or not?
yes ,if its a quattron display.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2012, 08:09:52 pm »
BTW, sharp claims a RGB+Y colour setup
Real or not?
yes ,if its a quattron display.

but anyway i don't see a point in RGB+Y, doesn't make it better by a order of magnitude anyway

Offline nitro2k01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2012, 08:14:57 pm »
most lcd's use the bayer filter.
Aren't you thinking of CCDs?
Whoa! How the hell did Dave know that Bob is my uncle? Amazing!

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2012, 08:15:04 pm »
oops brainfart.. forget the bayer pattern.. i was thingking bout picture captured by a camera sensor. these are trapped in a bayer pattern
when displayed they need de-mosaicing becasue of thre RGB order in an lcd monitor..
here is some info : http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~atcheson/f/atcheson%20-%20subpixel%20rendering%20of%20bayer-patterned%20images.pdf
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline firewalkerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2012, 11:41:48 am »
MPEG-2 and VC-1 decode support.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1839

http://www.raspberrypi.com/mpeg-2-license-key/

I believe that someone will find a way through...
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline poptones

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2012, 06:02:04 pm »
Has anyone done anything with these besides just use them as tiny htpcs? I ordered one when I was finally able - it should be here in like sept/oct, but I still have no idea what I might do with it. It looked like a fun toy so I decided to order one, but I really have no interest in dedicating it as a htpc.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2012, 07:28:14 pm »
PowerVR chips are really not that brilliant at GPGPU. In shaders, 128-bit vector operations are executed as four independent 32-bit scalar ops, for instance. And memory bandwidth is really limited.
PowerVR is infamous for being "the worst graphics core ever". That's true regardless of what silicon it's on - Broadcom, TI, or even Intel. Look up "Poulsbo" and see the flood of complaints for terrible drivers.

My Cedarview Atom was affected by that issue, so initially, I stuck in an old FX5200 card to get an acceptable level of performance. Now I installed some better drivers so I no longer need that FX5200, and I get great 2D performance and good video performance (it offloads but nowhere as well as Nvidia's VDPAU), but try to start any 3D program and it won't work. (Fortunately, the Atom system is not for gaming.)

As for Broadcom wireless chipsets, they just can't compare to the good brands like Atheros/Qualcomm, Intel, or Ralink. But if you have one that is supported by the open source driver, unlocking it to use extended channels is supposed to be easier than for the others.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2012, 12:56:04 am »
Has anyone done anything with these besides just use them as tiny htpcs? ...

I have a weather station and (soon) an outdoor webcam that will need some form of local processing and a Pi looked like a cheap way to get this done.  I'm finding the delay in getting one to be frustrating so that's been put on hold.
I also have a GPS tracker application that would work well on the Pi but have decided to go with another device for that (Mele A1000). I'll probably end up getting a Pi, as you say it looks like a fun toy.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 12:59:39 am by GeoffS »

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2012, 03:33:43 am »
PowerVRs are terrible but at least they are ultra low power.
The savior for mobile graphical computing goes to previously-AMD Qualcomm Adreno And Nvidia Geforce ULP

Shall i throw Mali-400MP out of the equation?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf