Author Topic: Remote for Philips TV  (Read 831 times)

Offline soldarTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Remote for Philips TV
« on: February 20, 2024, 01:50:08 pm »
I have a Philips 22PFL2807h TV which is missing the remote control. I do not need the remote desperately but it would be nice to have.

I believe the remote P/N is 996590003112 and the photo, from the manual, is the one with the color keys just above the numeric keys.

I happen to have another Philips remote from a different Philips TV but it does not work with the one I need. The photo is the one with the color keys in the upper part and the photo of the PCB with some codes.

I am wondering if there might be a way to program or configure it to work with my TV.

I have opened it up and it has a single SMD IC with no markings and no jumpers or switches that may be used to configure it for a different receiving device.

I can only think if it may have some software way of configuration. Something like "press <setup> and <format> together for 5 seconds, release and then press a three digit code for the TV model and then press <return> ".  Similar to programming one of those universal remotes. I figure there is a good chance Philips has a similar system.

Anyone have any idea about this?
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
Re: Remote for Philips TV
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2024, 03:13:18 pm »
Philips and Vestel remote controls share codes, probably due to historical collaboration.  You can use most Vestel remotes with most Philips TVs (the exception would be some of the newer Philips sets that are made by TCL or UMC.)

There is probably no chance you can reprogram the remote, it will be flashed at the factory as a one-time programmable MCU.  Maybe it is a flash MCU but even so, you would not be able to get a copy of the firmware.  I doubt it has a built in programming mode, no need to do so.

You can also buy a ~10EUR universal remote and try the various codes with those, I've usually had reasonable success there.

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2024, 03:32:02 pm »
You can buy an 'original' (looking) one on Ali for around €10, I bet they will work fine, I got some from there and no problems.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 03:59:26 pm »
Philips and Vestel remote controls share codes, probably due to historical collaboration.  You can use most Vestel remotes with most Philips TVs (the exception would be some of the newer Philips sets that are made by TCL or UMC.)

There is probably no chance you can reprogram the remote, it will be flashed at the factory as a one-time programmable MCU.  Maybe it is a flash MCU but even so, you would not be able to get a copy of the firmware.  I doubt it has a built in programming mode, no need to do so.

You can also buy a ~10EUR universal remote and try the various codes with those, I've usually had reasonable success there.
Thanks. I guess that answers my question. It was a long shot but I thought I ask.

Some years ago I decoded a remote control for a satellite receiver and found the commands had 10 bits which were invariant, so I assumed they identify the device, and another 12 bits which identified the command key being pressed (plus some other various bits).

I suppose Philips and other vendors use different codes in each model so that they do not interfere with each other if the devices are in the same room. I thought there might be a way to reprogram them to other devices of the same brand.

Yes, I am aware of the universal, programmable remotes but I am trying to avoid that for several reasons. One is that I am having too much stuff lost in the mail and I am trying to save myself the aggravation. Another is that I's rather have a purpose-built remote for that model, rather than a programmable one. My experience with programmables is that sometimes they are a pain to program and sometimes they lack keys I need. And sometimes both. And the price is just more than it is worth to me. My target is a $5 used remote for that model, not a $20 new super-duper programmable. I guess I'll just have to wait.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2024, 04:26:03 pm »
You can buy an 'original' (looking) one on Ali for around €10, I bet they will work fine, I got some from there and no problems.
Thanks. I might end up doing that in time but right now I am a bit ticked off because I recently had a couple things lost in transit and it aggravates me. Wait two months for something to arrive only to have to start over again.

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2024, 05:19:43 pm »
Got no local shop to buy one from? my universal remote came from the pound shop an its worked with everything ive pointed it  at .No codes needed,put the device in standby,hit a key combination  sit back and wait until the device turns on,another key press to stop it , job done

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2024, 06:08:37 pm »
Got no local shop to buy one from? my universal remote came from the pound shop an its worked with everything ive pointed it  at .No codes needed,put the device in standby,hit a key combination  sit back and wait until the device turns on,another key press to stop it , job done
I would rather get the dedicated model if I can.  I generally do not like those universal remotes because I have had trouble with them. Some lack keys I need. Sometimes I have trouble getting the self-programming to work. Sometimes they lose the programming and I have to do it over again when I forgot everything.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf