Author Topic: Real or Fake? Spy chips in Chinese Clothes Iron  (Read 12262 times)

Offline chickenTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Rusty Coder
Real or Fake? Spy chips in Chinese Clothes Iron
« on: October 29, 2013, 04:20:27 pm »
A Russian news agency reports that cyber criminals are planting chips in electric irons and kettles to launch spam attacks
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-24707337
http://www.rosbalt.ru/piter/2013/10/22/1190990.html

IMO not very credible.. but now I've to get out the screw drivers. Maybe I can salvage a usable WiFi module from my $13.99 Target iron!  :-/O

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
Re: Real or Fake? Spy chips in Chinese Clothes Iron
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 04:28:05 pm »
State-owned channel Rossiya 24 even showed footage of a technician opening up an iron included in a batch of Chinese imports to find a "spy chip" with what he called "a little microphone". Its correspondent said the hidden devices were mostly being used to spread viruses

Forget the WiFi module, I'm more interested in this new method of spreading viruses by microphone.

Are we 100% sure they haven't fallen for an article from the Russian equivalent of The Onion?
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 04:38:24 pm »
saw that article on TheRegister as well, they seem to think it might be genuine  :-//

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/29/dont_brew_that_cuppa_your_kettle_could_be_a_spambot/

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 04:54:34 pm »
Use WPA with a good password (which you should if you're worried about security) and unauthorized devices would not be able to connect.

I don't believe it even though it's possible since it's a lot of work. Much easier to install malware on some random USB device.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline tehmeme

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 05:04:56 pm »
Some possible propaganda from a competing Russian iron manufacturer? or the some key people didn't get their cut?
Or is this another one of those lost in translation storm in a tea cup pieces

So many questions.
Of all the appliances, why an iron, and a cheap one at that? why not office equipment, stationary or peripherals, that would at least have a better chance of being in the vicinity of a useful signal. (edit: and would be less suspicious under an x-ray or physical inspection, the majority of irons are very sparse inside)

Irons would only be plugged for short periods so this thing would need to have a backup power source (take your pick).

Unless this shipment was targeted at specific consignees, returns whether financial or information cost of doing this would make this non-profitable.

hmm..  :-\

edit 2: also as NiHaoMike brings up the USB, peripherals could bypass the wifi security via the pc, or on printers, copiers & phones the user will enter the network credentials into the device as part of the setup.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 06:59:13 pm by tehmeme »

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 05:28:30 pm »
I think rigging a keyboard would be a better idea, record keystrokes for a couple days then connect to  a wifi to send them home (not via the pc). 

Offline tehmeme

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 06:43:04 pm »
I think rigging a keyboard would be a better idea, record keystrokes for a couple days then connect to  a wifi to send them home (not via the pc).

this would only work if the wifi wasn't properly secured, again, making it extremely mission specific.

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 08:54:21 pm »
Forget the WiFi module, I'm more interested in this new method of spreading viruses by microphone.

I just smashed every microphone I could think of in my house.  I think I'm safe.  It does make phone calls more difficult though.  Good thing I printed out that Morse Code chart.

Offline tehmeme

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 09:05:22 pm »

I just smashed every microphone I could think of in my house.  I think I'm safe.  It does make phone calls more difficult though.  Good thing I printed out that Morse Code chart.

:-DD

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 09:10:06 pm »

Way overkill, dude! I just got my flu shot yesterday, so I'm good :-+
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 09:14:46 pm »
Why not just bury them in the code for WiFi routers and things like that?  They're all made in China.

Who buys clothes irons anymore, anyway?  That's like Little House on the Prairie.  Isn't everything wash and wear now?  Why not embed chips in 8-track players too.

Offline tehmeme

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 09:30:49 pm »
Why not just bury them in the code for WiFi routers and things like that?  They're all made in China.
A very good point!

Who buys clothes irons anymore, anyway?
uhmm...  :-[
 I love my freshly ironed shirts on those dark grim British mornings, 
I bought this 2 months ago...
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/home-appliances/ironing/irons/philips-azur-gc4860-02-steam-iron-blue-10016198-pdt.html

That and my coffee maker were cheaper ways of coping with the British weather than moving to warmer climes.  >:D
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 09:32:40 pm by tehmeme »

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 09:58:52 pm »
I am 40 in a few months, i could probably count the number of times i have ironed on two hands... Just dont see the point, its a terrible waste of time and many kWs... imo  :P

Offline tehmeme

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 11:03:07 pm »
I am 40 in a few months, i could probably count the number of times i have ironed on two hands... Just dont see the point, its a terrible waste of time and many kWs... imo  :P

You're obviously doing it wrong

« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 11:04:47 pm by tehmeme »

Offline Hardcorefs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 01:01:51 am »
Obviously Chinese women do a lot more ironing than the rest of the world.
After buying an Iron 7 years ago.. it has not been used since.

Offline Dago

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronics blog about whatever I happen to build!
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 11:38:42 am »
Installing a spy chip on a device that's hidden in a closet without power for 99.9% of the time seems like a good choice.
Come and check my projects at http://www.dgkelectronics.com ! I also tweet as https://twitter.com/DGKelectronics

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 11:49:24 am »
well the chinese have never been known for putting much thought into their final designs!

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 06:22:31 pm »
I still have the  clothes iron I bought in 1987, and it still works. Did a lot of work ironing military uniforms over the years, and even did beds......

Offline JohnnyGringo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 11:18:46 pm »
Maybe it's a spy chip aimed at all the hobbyists who use "Toner Transfer for PCB Making".
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

Offline Mr Pig

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2013, 06:51:39 pm »
Putting the devices in low-cost appliances would reduce the financial hit should a shipment be intercepted and rejected. Also, as the appliances would most likely be discarded and replaced when faulty, rather than being opened up for repair, there is less chance the device will be discovered.

Just pondering on why one might choose such an apparently dumb conveyance.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2013, 07:34:50 pm »
Why bother when you can just load malware onto random USB drives? That actually has happened several times in the past, though disabling autoplay defeats it.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Mr Pig

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2013, 10:23:44 pm »
High-current devices like irons and kettles may have been chosen disguise the additional power consumption of the spy device during quality-control or import checks. Or maybe whoever wanted to do this just happened to have a bent friend with a kettle factory!

And it may not have been about collecting intelligence at all. It could be a plot by an individual or gang intending to blackmail the victims using the recordings. All pretty mad but it does prove one thing.

you really, really can't trust the Chinese!

Offline chickenTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Rusty Coder
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2013, 01:16:00 pm »

Well, here you go:
http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/10/meet-badbios-the-mysterious-mac-and-pc-malware-that-jumps-airgaps/

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2013, 01:27:37 pm »
The problem with the last article is that it's more anecdotal than verified hard evidence. BUT, it does make for a cool story. :P

Online amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2013, 01:37:29 pm »
I think neither that one nor this one is true at all... Halloween tends to bring out these sorts of pranks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf