Author Topic: Really RS Components, I am not allowed to order solder anymore??  (Read 10647 times)

Offline bson

• Supporter
Re: Really RS Components, I am not allowed to order solder anymore??
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2021, 02:29:13 am »
Lead solder is mainly a problem in Europe where they like to incinerate trash.  During this the lead is vaporized and like with most gases scrubbing is a matter of percentages, not whether you remove it all since that's impossible.  Solid lead is harmless, you can handle it all day without problems.  Lead bullets don't cause lead poisoning - you bleed out if you're shot, poisoning is really not a concern.  The real problem is when you poke holes in the meat bag, the bullets themselves are sometimes left in place.  The main problem is when it's used on ranges small amounts of it is turned to dust or vaporized, which makes it bioavailable.  Just lead bullets themselves are not a concern - you could eat them and just poop them out the other end; they're not bioavailable.  Copper jackets are likely to cause more problems.  The problem with lead paint is it contains lead alloys that are highly bioavailable, taste sweet, and is difficult to keep away from children who might eat it like candy and hence can get huge doses of it - not like the naturally occurring trace amounts.  Steel bullets are a problem in dry climes since they tend to spark fires when they hit rocks.  (And believe it not, ingesting bioavailable iron in sufficient quantities will similar to lead cause iron poisoning.)  For this reason shooting ranges tend to ban them.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 02:30:52 am by bson »

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
Re: Really RS Components, I am not allowed to order solder anymore??
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2021, 03:37:06 am »
Lead solder is mainly a problem in Europe where they like to incinerate trash.

You guys incinerate about 32Mt of waste a year yourselves. And that's only the municipal figure - apparently you don't bother gathering figures on industrial waste.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 03:44:20 am by Monkeh »

The following users thanked this post: Yansi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf