General > General Technical Chat

Recommend multimeter for electronics

(1/2) > >>

I am willing to invest some money into good multimeter. It will be primarily used for electronics.
Fluke 117 and 179 are not designed for electronics (or are they?). What about 77 series?

So, what should I choose?

If you've already decided its a Fluke then the tried tested electronics model is the 87 V, that the 5th version of this series.

If you need it to be waterproof and rugged, its the 28-II.

I've had the 85 series one for over 20 years, so its likely you'll never have to buy another one for life.  It was near $300 then, in 1980s dollars, so it cost me a lot.  You'll buy lesser DMM later in your career that you won't mind destroying or losing or getting stolen, but when you need confidence and safety in measurement, I reach for the Fluke.

The next question is whether to buy new or used.  Used one can be good deals if it wasn't used heavily in industrial electrical work.  Its input overload protection circuits include MOVs, which wear out if exposed to high voltages, it depends on how high and how long the exposure lasted.  If they were never exposed, they could last a lifetime.  If and when they blow, the input will be dead so you'll know.

[edited corrected 289 should have been 28-II]

I picked Fluke because of it good products. I don't know any other good brands (it does not mean they do not exist).

I do not need it to be waterproof and extremely rugged. I want to buy new one.

At the moment I am looking at 87, 83 and 77. I am contemplating that maybe 83 offers enough precision for me, maybe I do not need such an accurate device. 77 is not that accurate, but I like its design, where 87 and 83 looks a bit strange to me (design is not that important, but still I do not want it to look as a brick).


--- Quote from: saturation on April 20, 2010, 10:39:06 am ---If you need it to be waterproof and rugged, its the 289.

--- End quote ---

Make that the 28-II

The 70 and 170 series are not ideal for general electronics as they do not have a uA current range. But apart from that they are superb meters.

Fluke isn't the only good brand, but they are the #1 seller for many reasons. But if you lay good money down for a Fluke for general electronics use, I'd make it the 87-V. Prices vary a lot from place to place.


Since you've already narrowed down your choice to just one maker, Fluke, you should have a good time choosing.  Any of their meters are safe to use in industrial applications.

But you ask about electronics, not electrical, and in that field we use much lower voltages commonly, so it should read accurately in the mV and uA range.

The only thing better than an 87 V is a good benchtop.  

You can compare for yourself using the product guide:



[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Go to full version