Author Topic: Recommend multimeter for electronics  (Read 5513 times)

Offline kcsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Recommend multimeter for electronics
« on: April 20, 2010, 09:34:49 am »
Hi,
I am willing to invest some money into good multimeter. It will be primarily used for electronics.
Fluke 117 and 179 are not designed for electronics (or are they?). What about 77 series?

So, what should I choose?

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
Re: Recommend multimeter for electronics
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 10:39:06 am »
If you've already decided its a Fluke then the tried tested electronics model is the 87 V, that the 5th version of this series.

If you need it to be waterproof and rugged, its the 28-II.

I've had the 85 series one for over 20 years, so its likely you'll never have to buy another one for life.  It was near $300 then, in 1980s dollars, so it cost me a lot.  You'll buy lesser DMM later in your career that you won't mind destroying or losing or getting stolen, but when you need confidence and safety in measurement, I reach for the Fluke.

The next question is whether to buy new or used.  Used one can be good deals if it wasn't used heavily in industrial electrical work.  Its input overload protection circuits include MOVs, which wear out if exposed to high voltages, it depends on how high and how long the exposure lasted.  If they were never exposed, they could last a lifetime.  If and when they blow, the input will be dead so you'll know.

[edited corrected 289 should have been 28-II]
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 01:35:11 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline kcsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 12:23:10 pm »
I picked Fluke because of it good products. I don't know any other good brands (it does not mean they do not exist).

I do not need it to be waterproof and extremely rugged. I want to buy new one.

At the moment I am looking at 87, 83 and 77. I am contemplating that maybe 83 offers enough precision for me, maybe I do not need such an accurate device. 77 is not that accurate, but I like its design, where 87 and 83 looks a bit strange to me (design is not that important, but still I do not want it to look as a brick).

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 01:31:13 pm »
If you need it to be waterproof and rugged, its the 289.

Make that the 28-II

The 70 and 170 series are not ideal for general electronics as they do not have a uA current range. But apart from that they are superb meters.

Fluke isn't the only good brand, but they are the #1 seller for many reasons. But if you lay good money down for a Fluke for general electronics use, I'd make it the 87-V. Prices vary a lot from place to place.

Dave.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 01:34:18 pm »
Since you've already narrowed down your choice to just one maker, Fluke, you should have a good time choosing.  Any of their meters are safe to use in industrial applications.

But you ask about electronics, not electrical, and in that field we use much lower voltages commonly, so it should read accurately in the mV and uA range.

The only thing better than an 87 V is a good benchtop.  

You can compare for yourself using the product guide:

http://us.fluke.com/Fluke/usen/Products/prodSelection_Grouping.htm

Enjoy.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 01:37:04 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 01:37:38 pm »
Dave, thank you for the correction, my mistake I meant the 28-II which you so well showed on the eevblog.

If you need it to be waterproof and rugged, its the 289.

Make that the 28-II

The 70 and 170 series are not ideal for general electronics as they do not have a uA current range. But apart from that they are superb meters.

Fluke isn't the only good brand, but they are the #1 seller for many reasons. But if you lay good money down for a Fluke for general electronics use, I'd make it the 87-V. Prices vary a lot from place to place.

Dave.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline kcsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor

Offline PetrosA

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 11:02:16 pm »
Fluke isn't the only good brand
What are the other good brands? Name a few.

Agilent, Gossen Metrowatt (Dranetz-BMI in N. America) and AEMC (although I'm not 100% sure they make meters geared towards electronics use) are a few.
I miss my home I miss my porch, porch

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 12:58:08 am »
Fluke isn't the only good brand
What are the other good brands? Name a few.

Gossen Metrawatt (Dranetz-BMI) and Agilent are two of the biggies.
Lesser players that still make decent meters are Extech, Amprobe (owned by Fluke, made in China), BK precision, Yokogawa, Ideal, and likely many others.
Generally speaking, you get what you pay for. If you pay say $300 for a meter, you are going to get something decent.

The thing with the Flukes (80 or 70/170 series) for example is not that they are the best meters out there, or the best value, or the best performing, but it's that they have the decades of field proven reliability, and the support is excellent. That's why they are #1.

Dave.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf