Author Topic: Recommendation for an Air -> Liquid Head exchanger?  (Read 2791 times)

Offline Lord of nothingTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Recommendation for an Air -> Liquid Head exchanger?
« on: December 06, 2021, 01:31:16 pm »
Hey everyone
I looking for an Air to Liquid heat exchanger for my Gasoline Generator and, or my Diesel Fuel Heater who have both an exhaust I want to tap in to extract the produced Heat for an (additional) Liquid Based heating since the would get vent into the Air.  :=\
Can I use that: https://de.aliexpress.com/store/group/Plate-Heat-Exchanger/1461112_518260606/2.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.8148361.1.35bd3f52RmewTM&origin=n&SortType=price_desc&g=y ?
I guess the have 2 separate Chamber? Or maybe someone have a better recommendation?
Thanks
Made in Japan, destroyed in Sulz im Wienerwald.

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
Re: Recommendation for an Air -> Liquid Head exchanger?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 03:41:23 pm »
It needs to not restrict the exhaust flow too much, and needs to allow the liquid side to flow fast enough to avoid boiling.  Then, the heat exchager needs to be able to tolerate the temperatures of the engine exhaust, and possible corrosive nature.
Jon

The following users thanked this post: Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 03:53:03 pm »
I guess the will not over 100C. How about that:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/Ladeluftk%C3%BChler/1628007_515992466.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.pcShopHead_6042656.1_3_1
I guess the Buzz Word is a "Intercooler" ?  :-//

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 04:12:56 pm »
Why not look at auto parts? There are surely many possible options there, starting with a regular car radiator (for which you would have to fabricate a cowling to direct the exhaust gas through it), but also the air heater/cooler from the HVAC system, the refrigerant condenser from the AC system, an oil cooler--the possibilities are endless.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 05:05:14 pm »
Yes auto parts is a good call. Check out written off hybrid vehicles. The Kia Niro and Hyundai Iconiq (same running gear) both have heat recovery exchangers on the exhaust and EGR systems. The main exhaust one is thermostatically controlled whereas the EGR one is smaller and basic. I don't know if other Hybrids use them.

I've certainly seen the EGR ones listed fairly cheaply on ebay in the UK by parts recyclers. Here's a picture of the EGR one (plus a few ancillary bits)...

Edit: and another one in a UK ebay listing. With the inlet pipe fitted, the inlet and outlet flanges almost line up,which could be handy... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124955523363
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 05:25:05 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 05:25:41 pm »
 :scared: that is way to big for the small Heater unit. Also for the cute Gasoline Generator.
Here is a Picture of the Internals and the Heater:
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/H05e7501659ab41dbafb6400119ade4d9P.jpg
The Air Intake is horizontal and the Air Intake for the Burner also the exhaust is from the Bottom.
Both System are separate so no exhausts Gas will be blown into a Room.
As I mention before I would like use the heat who normally get vent outside use for what usefull stuff I will found. For that I would prefare an Air -> Water exchanger.
in the UK
non Eu mean I have to pay Tax + Import Fee,...
Why not look at auto parts?
Because I dont have any clue about them. The only way I come in contact are when I board the local Bus.  :-DD

I watched some German Speaking Video about there Heater and the sayed the exhaust have a diameter of 2,5cm. Its a thiney one.  ^-^
Can I use that without risking blocking to much of the Airflow?
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32932744835.html
Thanks  :clap:

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2021, 05:34:07 pm »
I wasn't suggesting you actually buy one from the UK. I'm sure you crash cars in Austria too. ::)

It's actually smaller than it looks - it's on the small diameter, maybe 1", EGR (exhaust gas recovery) pipe going back to the inlet manifold - not the main exhaust pipe! The main exhaust one is fairly compact as the gas temperatures and flow are much higher.

Edit: I'm not going out to look, it's dark and raining!  :P     
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 05:46:56 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2021, 06:28:05 pm »
 ??? I have no clue about the Auto stuff what did you mean with that?  :-//

That German Guy Measured (I dont know what the use but i look like quite the same as mine and I dont know (or watched all his Video) how much the got Isolated) got Measured (Min ~3:50) round about ~200C directly at the point where the exhaust leave the device.  :o
WOW that is way hotter than expect! So I guess a heat exchanger would bring some nice Temp for an Emergency Shower.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 07:21:39 pm by Lord of nothing »

Offline BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2021, 07:55:01 pm »
Link isn't working for me, but I would think you'd want something made from cast iron or welded stainless steel for this application.

Big EGR cooler off a big diesel? See if you have a heavy truck junkyard nearby.

Might be a marine solution, but most of those exhaust coolers are designed to go at the end of the raw water loop and discharge the hot water into the exhaust stream, which goes to a rubber those at that point.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2021, 07:57:12 pm »
Link isn't working for me
which?

Offline BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2021, 09:41:28 pm »
I got them working on my desktop, I don't think a plate exchanger would flow well enough, those are built for liquid-liquid and an aluminum air-water intercooler probably wouldn't handle the heat, a naturally aspirated gasoline engine will easily get the pipe dull red hot at the outlet under a heavy load and probably erode an aluminum heat exchanger in the exhaust stream.

You might also consider fabricating something from steel plumbing parts, like a simple length of pipe with a larger one welded over it to form a water jacket. Ideally this would be sloped downward (as to not trap any corrosive condensate) and mounted below the exhaust port (to prevent water going into the engine in the event of failure).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2021, 10:03:14 pm »
Sadly I dont have any Welding Equitment (yet). How about the Barrel Cooler I post before? Do you mean that is Alu and will not work? Currently I will be start with my (upcoming) Diesel Heater first.
THX!

Offline Miyuki

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me on youtube
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2021, 07:01:45 am »
None of the Chinese stuff will last
You are getting to exhaust condensation conditions and it is highly corrosive
You need the right kind of stainless steel to withstand it so you have either automotive stuff or condensing boiler heat exchanger

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2021, 08:13:07 am »
While not the most effective solution, a simple method is to wrap some copper tubing around the outside of the muffler. The heat exchanger from a condensing boiler as mentioned above or a tankless gas fired water heater ought to work well too. Keep in mind you will produce condensate just as with a condensing appliance so you'll have to provide a drain for that.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2021, 08:38:00 am »
You will have to measure the pressure drop of the heat exchanger you add to make sure its within the engine spec. I don't know what the engine spec is.

Your probobly gonna end up with corrosion problems if you try to interface anything but pure copper to your water system.

If you do this, add a over pressure valve.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 08:39:36 am by coppercone2 »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2021, 10:20:32 pm »
@BrokenYugo
You are right. I try to search on Ebay and found some stuff:
https://www.ebay.at/itm/384286652522

The big Pipe is for the Air and the small for the Water right?

Edit here is my Heater:
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/H19fd202791f24a9085f6ae6cf2113b00w.jpg
On the Bottom is the Air intake and exhaust.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 11:48:53 pm by Lord of nothing »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2021, 03:32:36 pm »
So I order some exhaust heat exchanger. I am a little worried how to connect them to the exhaust Pipe. Is there some flexible Pipe on the Market who withstand the Hight Temperatures and can be Shield with Insulation?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2021, 01:49:27 pm »
So everyone.
Today the arrived here yes I got 2 of them since the Seller have 2 in Stock for a good price.
The are "the big one". I found that the Company made many different Models of that Heat exchanger.
When I see, know,... that the not ectract all the Heat who come out of the exhaust a bigger is maybe better.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2021, 04:50:32 pm »
For exhaust heat recovery you would be better of with a tube heat exchanger, plate types tend to clog up easily. Well that is my experience of them, I used to make essential oil distillation equipment back in the late 90's and plate exchangers were constantly needing to be taken apart for cleaning whereas tube type exchangers did not need cleaning as often and when they did it was a simple job of removing one end and running a brush through the tubes, plates need a gasket between every plate and both the hot and cold side are held together by the same fasteners. Plate coolers are much more efficient but sometimes that is not always best.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2021, 07:17:43 pm »
Hi
I bought 2 "AGR Cooler" who are strait Tubes inside. I just need to wait until the Heater arrive.  :=\

Offline BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2021, 07:35:00 pm »
Is there some flexible Pipe on the Market who withstand the Hight Temperatures and can be Shield with Insulation?

Yes, called a "flex pipe", a springy stainless steel bellows protected by a braided stainless sleeve, terminated with short sections of exhaust tube for clamping or welding. In a car these are normally used somewhere between the manifold outlet and main catalytic converter. At least in the USA an assortment are carried by every auto parts store with the exhaust repair parts.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2021, 09:29:06 pm »
auto parts store
Here every Car Part must be certified and so on its not so easy to put something into an Car. So everything is expensive. I bought my cooler as used and save a lot of money.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2021, 11:53:05 pm »
keep in mind too your generator has the possibility of spitting out sparks and stuff out of the engine, there is usually a strainer on the exhaust, cleaning it is part of the maintenance cycle. That is the type of fouling you should expect there.

Think about how nasty a car muffler is. You essentially want a water cooled car muffler. Did you ever see a muffler that looks good?

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2021, 08:55:13 am »
https://www.ubuy.hu/en/product/15K5EV4KM-dnysysj-pool-heat-exchanger-stainless-steel-tube-shell-heat-exchanger-for-swimming-pool ?

That is designed for water to water heat transfer with no way to get in and clean it. You need one that has an end that is removable. Quite frankly your best bet would be to obtain a generator that is designed for marine use with a water cooled engine and exhaust manifold, that way you capture all the waste heat and have in effect a CHP unit ( combined heat power).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf