Author Topic: Red Tesla launch - Is it still driveable ?  (Read 13021 times)

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: Red Tesla launch - Is it still driveable ?
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2018, 10:18:21 pm »
I wonder if 'Starman' is still repeating on the radio. In space, nobody can hear....
Best Regards, Chris

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2018, 11:36:27 pm »
Here ya go...
Live streaming video from the first car to orbit the Earth.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2018, 01:37:59 am »
Seems like a far more use of the test payload capacity would have been a bunch of small amateur satellites, something similar to the cubesats created by students.

Instead all this did is create more space junk.

The following users thanked this post: jancumps, MT

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2018, 01:47:39 am »
Seems like a far more use of the test payload capacity would have been a bunch of small amateur satellites, something similar to the cubesats created by students.

On this trajectory cubesats are no use. Normally those benefit from a nice, low orbit and the easy communication that allows. The trajectory of this mission is normally reserved for the flagship missions of major space agencies. It goes way out into interplanetary space quickly. Nobody capable of building a satellite suitable for such a mission would be willing to spend millions or even billions on development, only to get the craft shot into a useless trajectory and with a high probability of losing the craft.

Besides, space junk is a problem in Earth orbit. On this trajectory, not so much.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2018, 01:53:17 am »
Apparently, it's not an actual car. If you look at the footage, it seems to be a support structure with Tesla panels mounted on top. See the wheel well in the attached imagine. In the actual footage you can see right through the car in some shots. This all makes sense too, because you don't want an unpredictable payload in your rocket.

Driving it would be out of the question.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2018, 01:58:04 am »

Given there was a very real chance of the launch failing in some spectacular manner, that would leave a number of junior satellite fabricators feeling very let down.

The following users thanked this post: station240

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2018, 02:29:56 am »
It is the actual car complete and ready to drive.
It's Musk's personal Model S Roadster.

Sue AF6LJ

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2018, 02:48:46 am »
Do you have a source that states it's unmodified and ready to drive? The footage seems to quite clearly show it is. There's a frame and empty space where the steering rack and motors normally would be. None of the pre-launch photo's show the bottom, conveniently enough.

Offline ez24Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2018, 03:20:39 am »

This was discussed on the radio.  There was a great chance the rocket would explode and if it did the students experiments would be destroyed.  They determined it was not worth the chance.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2018, 03:37:29 am »
Must not have had the battery on board, since Musk announced in the post launch news conference that the batteries for the live TV from the car would last only about 12 hours.  Even half charge on the vehicle battery should give far more amp-hours than that.

Pretty bold move to launch the Tesla, no matter how much they simplified and braced it.  The advantage of the concrete block is the very simple and reliable dynamics.  I'm sure things were dancing every which way in there during the boost.

Another thing that surprised me about the video section between the 2nd and 3rd burn of the second stage is that it is not stabilized during this phase of flight as you can see by watching the earth and sun drift past.  Makes for some really great shots but seems riskier to shut down stabilization and restart than to keep it on for the few hours.

And just in case you haven't heard, the third booster apparently ran out of fuel for the igniters and couldn't start two of three rocket motors.  Hit at 300 mph either on or close to the landing barge.  Close enough to take out two of the barge propulsion systems.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2018, 04:00:36 am »
Do you have a source that states it's unmodified and ready to drive? The footage seems to quite clearly show it is. There's a frame and empty space where the steering rack and motors normally would be. None of the pre-launch photo's show the bottom, conveniently enough.
It was in one of his news conferences.

Sue AF6LJ

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2018, 04:03:37 am »
If I were to design the "payload", I would add a few solar panels and have it constantly transmit some SSTV mode that any hobbyist can receive with a RTLSDR and a sufficiently good antenna/preamp setup. It would definitely be interesting to see how long such a "simple" device would stay operational. And maybe even get some good astrophotography out of it.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2018, 06:09:37 am »
Elon Musk: "Printed on the circuit board of a car in deep space"

Offline ez24Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2018, 06:46:46 am »

Someday this car will be so valuable, someone will send a rocket to get it back
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2018, 08:14:57 am »

Someday this car will be so valuable, someone will send a rocket to get it back

Not sure about sending a rocket to get it ... but the thought did cross my mind about it becoming of interest as an historical artifact.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2018, 08:30:11 am »

Elon Musk Gives Updates on Mission to Mars.

If you missed this, watch it.  BFR, heh, heh. Old Doom players will understand.

As for what's underneath the Tesla, given some discussions of the intended possible final orbits, I'd guess it still has the booster attached.

Let's hope there are no fire engines parked out around Mars.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 08:37:52 am by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2018, 11:39:59 pm »

Given there was a very real chance of the launch failing in some spectacular manner, that would leave a number of junior satellite fabricators feeling very let down.

So what? How often does a private citizen have a chance to launch something into space? So there's a good chance the mission will fail, that's a fact of life when talking of space exploration. I certainly would have been willing to volunteer time designing and constructing something that might make it to space, even if there's a very real chance the launch will fail. A workable satellite doesn't have to cost millions of dollars, it could be done for a few thousand with volunteer efforts. Certainly had Elon put his car up for auction it would have fetched more than enough to fund such an endeavor.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2018, 11:43:55 pm »
It was in one of his news conferences.
Do you have a link? As far as I can tell, they never actually say it's a drivable car.

Offline raptor1956

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2018, 11:49:59 pm »
It's Elon's personal roadster and the only thing that would prevent it from being driven if it were recovered is the high likelihood that the battery pack was removed for safety.  The "Don't Panic" sign on the center console display looked more like a sign attached to the screen than the screen itself.  I'm not sure how a consumer LCD panel would handle the vacuum of space -- my guess is not very well.

Brian

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2018, 11:57:39 pm »
It's Elon's personal roadster and the only thing that would prevent it from being driven if it were recovered is the high likelihood that the battery pack was removed for safety.  The "Don't Panic" sign on the center console display looked more like a sign attached to the screen than the screen itself.  I'm not sure how a consumer LCD panel would handle the vacuum of space -- my guess is not very well.

Brian
Do you have a source? Because I've seen a lot of claims being made either way, but nothing trustworthy to substantiate it. The only real thing I've seen so far is the footage, which seems to quite clearly show an empty front end with a support frame not part of the car. Obviously, if you did use a shell of a car rather than a full car, it would be beneficial to be vague about it for PR purposes. It having been Elon's personal Roadster wouldn't prevent them from stripping it and modifying it for their purposes either.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2018, 12:12:04 am »

Brian

The battery pack.. the motor. The transmission. The drive shafts. The suspension.

It's a shell.

It's not like they just drove it up there and tied it down with some ratchet straps. It is very much modified and undrivable.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2018, 12:13:35 am »

Brian

The battery pack.. the motor. The transmission. The drive shafts. The suspension.

It's a shell.

It's not like they just drove it up there and tied it down with some ratchet straps. It is very much modified and undrivable.
Do you have a link to support this claim?
Sue AF6LJ

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2018, 12:15:43 am »

Brian
Do you have a source? Because I've seen a lot of claims being made either way, but nothing trustworthy to substantiate it. The only real thing I've seen so far is the footage, which seems to quite clearly show an empty front end with a support frame not part of the car. Obviously, if you did use a shell of a car rather than a full car, it would be beneficial to be vague about it for PR purposes. It having been Elon's personal Roadster wouldn't prevent them from stripping it and modifying it for their purposes either.
At this point we are only guessing, however....
During the end of the of the 2 hour plus live in space video you could see the car venting something, maybe battery coolant.
I am not convinced the car is a shell, however it could be.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2018, 12:15:55 am »

Brian

It's a shell.

Do you have a link to support this claim?

Have you looked at the video showing a total void between the front wheels? That's where the motor and transmission and suspension should be. They ain't.

E: Correction, the motor and transmission are in the arse. Still.. where's the brake disc? Where's the hub? Where's the shock and the spring and..

Right. Not there, because those parts bouncing around is not desired.

It stands to reason they'd take the batteries out - they're not going to cope well with the temperature swings, for a start. And the motor.. well, you've got the batteries out. The transmission and driveshafts went away with the suspension..
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 12:19:23 am by Monkeh »

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2018, 12:44:30 am »
Have you looked at the video showing a total void between the front wheels?

Don't see it, sorry. Do you mean this reflection? (1st pic)

Or the A & B things in 2nd pic?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 12:52:05 am by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf