Author Topic: remember math yeah, it was just a theory right ?.......  (Read 82583 times)

Offline SionynTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
remember math yeah, it was just a theory right ?.......
« on: June 29, 2011, 07:11:27 pm »
some ding bats
eecs guy

• Frequent Contributor
Re: remember math yeah, it was just a theory right ?.......
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 07:25:34 pm »
who needs math, these people don't :P
eecs guy

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 07:34:51 pm »
you need good in math to get those (mathless) people.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline ndictu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 07:58:09 pm »
At least Vermont seems to have some brain...

See you later guys, I'm going to fly around since gravity is just a theory.

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 08:10:39 pm »
boobs
-Time

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 09:05:07 pm »
Don't forget to watch the original

The combined IQ of these broads is less than my shoe size.

Love miss Georgia :- "We are smarter than ever these days"....

Nope, kids are as dumb as ever if not dumber. They just think they are smart because no one is allowed to tell them they are dumb for fear of damaging their self esteem. Dumb people who think they are smart are a much bigger problem than dumb people who know they are dumb.

edit: corrected dumb typo ;)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 01:10:48 am by Rufus »

Offline ndictu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 09:13:30 pm »
Nope, kids are as dumb as ever if not dumber. They just think they are smart because no one is allowed to tell them they are dumb for fear of damaging their self esteem. Dumb people who think they are smart are a much bigger problem and dumb people who know they are dumb.

Quote from: Charles Darwin
It has often and confidently been asserted, that man's origin can never be known: but ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.

Quote from: Bertrand Russell
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 11:21:16 pm »
It's somewhat unfair that half the population is routinely represented by dim coat hangers with long eyelashes.

Still the dim market must be pretty big when they can sell jars of promises called anti aging creme  for $150 a pop. These videos going some way towards explaining why.

Offline Vertigo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 11:27:23 pm »
i think you guys are all missing the real issue here:

are these chicks to dumb to f###?

:P

but seriously, does it occur to any of you that these girls are extremely careful not to offend any particular demographic?
(Well besides intelligent people, but they wouldn't know about that)
they are all very careful to not offend evolution 'believers', wile at the same time trying to strongly state their preference for creationism.

does that sound like a presidential candidate to any of you?

also would you guys agree that these chicks are not particularly hot?

i think maybe this has to do with a selection process that is biased towards creationism, and terrified of the idea of an intelligent woman,
run by people who are mentally stuck in the 30s.
i wonder if smarter and prettier girls have not tried and failed for stating an unpopular opinion...

Offline Armin_Balija

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 01:01:14 am »
Oh my God... Can you imagine if people like this actually had some sort of actual influence? ...May God have mercy on all of us..

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 01:15:50 am »
Oh my God... Can you imagine if people like this actually had some sort of actual influence? ...May God have mercy on all of us..

They do! Current Australian Prime Minister, just as thick and nowhere near as easy on the eye!

“We of course remember the days when the leader of the house was the bovver boy, stand over man of Australian politics, now he's just pathetic and this is just a pathetic resolution moved to try and guillotine this debate through this House from a minister who only yesterday ... was complaining about debate being guillotined.”  - J. Gillard

This is supposed to pass as leadership.

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 03:55:15 am »
They don't realize that the building they are into would fall apart at any time if it wasn't for math. Also, designing telecommunications to get their faces on my TV screen involves a lot of math and logic. Oh, and who can forget satellites?

Do they really think their computer is a collection of random chips connected in a way to look cool? Some times science advances too quick for people to assimilate it. Then they say it  is some sort of black magic or something. It is amazing that people still believe that something as complex as life simply appeared from nowhere because God wished it happened. Sure, it is too much coincidence when you get to this point in which we are, definitely there's something guiding this world. It just can't be random.

Now back to math, it is so stupid when people complain about it while texting with a cellphone in their hands.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 05:11:56 am »

They do! Current Australian Prime Minister, just as thick and nowhere near as easy on the eye!

I thought my voice was annoying, but every time I hear Julia's monotonic voice it just makes me want kick puppy or something!

But at least she is a she, has red hair, and is an unmarried childless atheist. I at least call that one giant leap for political kind.

Dave.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 05:24:07 am »
boobs + puppy + read head = pussy... cat.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 05:43:02 am »
well theres only one thing those women are useful for........ ! and that will get boring after a while.

Some people really should not be allowed out if not on a lead and should actively told how stupid they are. If people get offended about the truth then that's their problem, the truth is a mathematical certainty  ;D

It pains me to see young people around my age and younger that have 0 problem solving skills and are just clueless about anything, and by problem solving I mean just figuring out how to get a job done which is not even a problem. If those tarts knew what general everyday problem solving is they'd be wanting that abolished too.

I wowed someone at work by working out very roughly how much water had been spilt on our factory floor...... apparently the basic calculation of a volume (LxHxW) is high tech stuff......

There is a young lady in a social club I am a member of and to be honest you'd struggle to tell her apart from another young lady that has a mental health problem. And even now that she knows she still asks her why she doesn't get a driving licence.....dooooooooooh, her ex boyfrind is not much more savvy either, he brings his xbox hard drive enclosure round to me to see if we can open it up and rig the sata drive inside up because he wants to access it on a computer. We ascertain that he'll need my usb/sata adapter and have to bring his laptop to me, so lets me put it back together then suggests he goes and gets his laptop. DOH
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 05:49:05 am by Simon »

Offline ndictu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 09:30:48 am »
they are all very careful to not offend evolution 'believers', wile at the same time trying to strongly state their preference for creationism.

I think this is the main problem - science isn't a belief system. It is not something you have a preference for. You can't cherry-pick scientific facts based on whether you like them or not. This concept seems lost on many people. If you teach them science as an alternative to religion, and then tell them they will burn in hell for "believing" in it, guess what do they pick.

I don't understand how there isn't any class on critical thinking, scientific method and logic in every single school worldwide.

It is amazing that people still believe that something as complex as life simply appeared from nowhere because God wished it happened. Sure, it is too much coincidence when you get to this point in which we are, definitely there's something guiding this world. It just can't be random.

BTW, since this is an engineering forum, there is a nice argument for this in one of Richard Dawkins' books (not sure which one right now, probably The Selfish Gene or The God Delusion). Since god is omnipotent and omniscient he could in fact create the first life on Earth and let it go from there, knowing it'll make humans after a while. Or, even better, just start the big bang and sit back. When you know all the possibilities, what would you do? Make every single species currently on earth, including millions very similar, but yet different insect species, or just make the minimum (big bang) required to get into this state?

Offline Vertigo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 11:05:18 am »
well when you really think about it 'god' is a contradiction.
choices and decisions are the result of human limitations; obstacles to overcome.
what kind of obstacles does an omnipotent being have?

see the one thing a 'god' could never do is: everything.
something that is all powerful and all knowing does not know challenges, therefore it has no needs
or wants, and really nothing to do other then exist. it does not make decisions like we in our ignorance and limitations
need to do.

anyways
I think this is the main problem - science isn't a belief system. It is not something you have a preference for. You can't cherry-pick scientific facts based on whether you like them or not. This concept seems lost on many people. If you teach them science as an alternative to religion, and then tell them they will burn in hell for "believing" in it, guess what do they pick.

actually i have to wonder if any of that is actually their opinion, or if they even have one of their own.
seems to me that all they are doing is scrambling to get out the right combination of words that is
most likely to make the highest number of people like them.
i don't think they ever bothered to make a choice of their own, they just say whatever they think people want to hear.

point being: we are not looking at stupid people so much (though allot) as we are looking at a stupid culture.
and u cannot spell 'culture' without 'cult'...

Offline ndictu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 11:28:57 am »
It's sad really. And since these people are the majority in many countries (there was a census recently in Slovakia but I can't seem to get to the results yet. I feel like religion is on a decline here, but I could be wrong) it's hard to change. The best thing you can do is to lie in your campaign and then try to change as much as you can before getting kicked out. Luckily, in the last election an liberal party won so there is still some hope.

If it were to me, if religious people (especially in USA) want to teach religion in school, they should be required to teach science in church.

Actually, if it were to me, religion would be banned, but that wouldn't work out.

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 11:33:20 am »
But at least she is a she, has red hair, and is an unmarried childless atheist. I at least call that one giant leap for political kind.

Dave.

Whilst none of those attributes should ever be an impediment from holding office, I cannot see how any of them constitute a giant leap or a reason winner selection.

After all the cowboys, playboys, iron ladies, washed up action heroes that we've seen make a putz of public office you'd think we'd learn.
Same applies for the pageant glamours and sporting icons, they more often than not get elected to boards committees etc, based on how many runs (or pageant promoters) they have scored. Merit often doesn't get a look in.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 11:47:31 am »
It's sad really. And since these people are the majority in many countries

Thankfully not here.
Surprisingly to many, atheism is the fastest growing "religion" in many many countries, including the US.
But because it's effectively a "lack of belief", by it's very nature it's a very laissez-faire position and hence doesn't have the political momentum like the religions do.

If it were to me, if religious people (especially in USA) want to teach religion in school, they should be required to teach science in church.
Actually, if it were to me, religion would be banned, but that wouldn't work out.

Likely not, that makes'em fight harder.
The believers just have to be continually laughed at and not pandered to, and they will hopefully eventually just all disappear into obscurity once it becomes fringe enough and embarrassing enough. It'll happen, at least in many countries, I'm an optimist.

Dave.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 11:55:38 am »
not sure if I have a religion, I mean I do but it is probably not politically correct enough to recognize. It's called freedom of speech and I find it deeply offensive (from a religious point of view of course) for anyone to expect me to respect their views

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 11:59:38 am »

Whilst none of those attributes should ever be an impediment from holding office, I cannot see how any of them constitute a giant leap or a reason winner selection.

It's the first time we've had an openly (although very politically correct so) atheist PM, a female PM, and a childless and unmarried PM (which pisses of the fundies). That upsets the apple cart, and that's always a good thing, and doesn't come along very often in politics.
Doesn't mean it's any better, it just softens everyone for say a full-on atheist PM to step in and kick some arse where it is much needed.
(kill this stupid chaplains in schools horror show, make the churches pay taxes, put money into the public school system instead of the catholic system etc)
[/quote]

The first black US president ain't nothing compared to how big a step the first atheist president would be. Heck lets shoot for the brass ring and make it a single female mother black atheist pro-choice anti-war anti-corporation anti-democracy president that will prosecute Bush and uphold the total separation of church and state.

Dave.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 12:09:41 pm »
who needs math ?
who needs logic and reason ?
who needs the truth ?
do you ?

We're all atheists of other gods, some just take it  one more God further
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 01:14:45 pm by Sionyn »
eecs guy

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 12:17:54 pm »
It's the first time we've had an openly (although very politically correct so) atheist PM, a female PM, and a childless and unmarried PM
Sadly it's not the first time we've had a popularist PM that stands for nothing other than her own survival.

The first black US president ain't nothing compared to how big a step the first atheist president would be. Heck lets shoot for the brass ring and make it a single female mother black atheist pro-choice anti-war anti-corporation anti-democracy president that will prosecute Bush and uphold the total separation of church and state.

Nah what would be a real upset would be to have their president elected by merit rather than financial influence.
 A US president who wasn't financed into office would be a first, elect a non millionaire that'd be a turnaround.

Alex

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2011, 12:39:10 pm »
Surprisingly to many, atheism is the fastest growing "religion" in many many countries, including the US.
But because it's effectively a "lack of belief", by it's very nature it's a very laissez-faire position and hence doesn't have the political momentum like the religions do.

It gets tricky when the lack of proof is presented as proof.

The believers just have to be continually laughed at and not pandered to, and they will hopefully eventually just all disappear into obscurity once it becomes fringe enough and embarrassing enough. It'll happen, at least in many countries, I'm an optimist.

Actually if you only count the true, honest believers we are almost there! Less and less of those are born and the clock is ticking for the old ones, so give it some time and it will converge. Society will take care of the other types of believers in the meanwhile by peer-pressure. When the oil becomes too expensive, then we will be religious-free. That's my 'prophecy'.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf