Author Topic: Renesas to buy Altium  (Read 9301 times)

Online Sal AmmoniacTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Renesas to buy Altium
« on: February 15, 2024, 02:13:48 am »
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: Renesas to buy Altium
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2024, 02:23:55 am »
Damn.

The following users thanked this post: daqq

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2024, 02:39:42 am »
Well, they will need to make those $5.9B back, so there is probably no reason to expect their marketing to change.
Alex

Offline delfinom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2024, 02:50:45 am »
It's a strange mash up really. Renesas will probably try to use it to shovel some of their parts, but on the other hand they are so hostile to deal with if you aren't an automotive customer or buying millions of parts per day that I don't see why they bothered.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2024, 04:07:38 am »
Given the very large user base of professionals for AD, if Renesas makes great and dependable libraries for all of their parts (which they probably will), this has a good chance of getting many more customers.

But yeah, nothing of that kind is ever guaranteed, and this is a fricking large amount of money. Completely crazy. Such an investment would be already massive for getting, say, their own foundries, but for just a software? We'll see. Not really my problem I must admit.

I just don't like this seemingly neverending concentration of power. I think there should be economic rules to force a company to split up into smaller ones if it reaches a certain valuation. It would be a simple and effective way of fighting this concentration. Of course that may not be everyone's opinion, and some may argue that concentrating companies makes the whole more efficient (if that was the only thing to consider here), which I actually highly doubt anyway.

The following users thanked this post: Kean, Jacon

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2024, 04:11:52 am »
There is one huge thing it will give them. Assuming cloud spyware is mandatory, they will instantly know what competitor products are being used in what type of designs. I'm not sure this is enough to justify the purchase, but it is not nothing.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: KE5FX

Offline DrGeoff

• Frequent Contributor
    • AXT Systems
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2024, 04:12:07 am »
The offer is $68.5 per share, which is a huge premium over the $40/share approx that it was trading at.
Maybe they are eyeing the Altium revenue, which is quite good overall.
Was it really supposed to do that?

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2024, 04:14:59 am »
There is one huge thing it will give them. Assuming cloud spyware is mandatory, they will instantly know what competitor products are being used in what type of designs. I'm not sure this is enough to justify the purchase, but it is not nothing.

That's a pretty good, and concerning at the same time, additional point.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2024, 04:18:42 am »
And then you see "AI" saying "I see you are placing competitor's product X, have you considered using Renesas product Y? Click here in the next 4 hours to secure a discounted price of $$".
Alex

Offline Shonky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2024, 05:09:39 am »
Well, they will need to make those $5.9B back, so there is probably no reason to expect their marketing to change.
Not sure if serious, but that's not how business acquisitions work usually.

The following users thanked this post: seb30

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2024, 05:49:40 am »

How do they work?

"work" or "work out"?

If the directors of Renesas don't genuinely expect to make an additional $5.9B in profits (and more), NPV, from buying Altium then they should not be doing it -- and their shareholders should be suing them.

Of course M&A very often don't result in the promised synergies, but the consultants and lawyers already got paid.

Offline notsob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2024, 05:58:22 am »
How many Altium shares do you still have Dave

Online .RC.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2024, 06:08:36 am »
How many Altium shares do you still have Dave

They might want the Altium building back that he currently uses for a lab.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2024, 06:34:41 am »
Well, there goes the neighbourhood :-[

Given the very large user base of professionals for AD, if Renesas makes great and dependable libraries for all of their parts (which they probably will), this has a good chance of getting many more customers.

But they don't have to buy Altium for that. Prime example: Wuerth. They have great Altium libraries, I'm sure it helps them land a customer or two and they didn't have to buy the company for that.

If the directors of Renesas don't genuinely expect to make an additional $5.9B in profits (and more), NPV, from buying Altium then they should not be doing it -- and their shareholders should be suing them.

They don't have to earn $6B in profits, that's not how it works. If you have 100k cash on your balance and then buy a 100k$ building with that money nothing really changes for you or your shareholders.

It's the cost of the capital that needs to be compensated, not the capital itself.

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Offline Shonky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2024, 06:39:33 am »

How do they work?

"work" or "work out"?

Of course M&A very often don't result in the promised synergies, but the consultants and lawyers already got paid.
They are investing in the company. Yes the acquisition provides (well should provide) additional income from that business unit. But its value doesn't go to zero so that they need to get all of the purchase price back. If anything, a good acquisition grows in value on its own and so they shouldn't "need to make their money back".

Over which period does a business expect to earn their entire investment back. 1 year? 5 years? 10 years? Good P/E is say 10-20 i.e. 10-20 years and in that time they should be regaining the initial investment then.

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2024, 07:06:53 am »
they will need to make those $5.9B back

Maybe such acquisitions are not meant for profit.  These look like strategic moves, driven by politics and power.  High tech industries are slowly captured under a single umbrella, one company at a time.  I wonder why.

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2024, 07:49:59 am »

How do they work?

"work" or "work out"?

They are investing in the company. Yes the acquisition provides (well should provide) additional income from that business unit. But its value doesn't go to zero so that they need to get all of the purchase price back. If anything, a good acquisition grows in value on its own and so they shouldn't "need to make their money back".

Over which period does a business expect to earn their entire investment back. 1 year? 5 years? 10 years? Good P/E is say 10-20 i.e. 10-20 years and in that time they should be regaining the initial investment then.

Did you miss the "NPV"?

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2024, 07:51:25 am »
Wow.  Just read about this.
All acquisitions create a certain amount of chaos.  Especially around continuing support for products that the acquiring company might not care about.  Renesas has been on an acquisition spree over the past few years, mostly of companies with a decent catalog of products.  I felt the pain of being on the wrong end of a product that renesas didn't care to support well.  It will be interesting to see what they do with Altium considering they make essentially one thing. 

Let's hope support actually increases.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2024, 09:27:38 am »
Second thought: Japanese companies operate a bit differently, they buy anything slightly related to their business. I worked for an EMS long time ago. They were a concrete making company. That bought a construction company because constructions use concrete. Then they bought a shipmaker because concrete was transported by ships. Then they bought an electronics company because ship has electronics in them. Did we do ship electronics? No, we were assembling Panasonic car radios and JVC flatscreen televisions. It doesn't ahve to make sense for them.

First though: Oh hell no. There are so many nefarius things they can do now, I'm really afraid. How is it going to be, you want to place a Renesas component from the online parts library, and lawyers come to your office asking you to sign an NDA to see the footprint and the datasheet?

Offline Daixiwen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2024, 10:19:01 am »
Let's hope support actually increases.
Given the price they paid I'd say their priority will be to increase revenue and cut costs

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2024, 10:26:05 am »
The offer is $68.5 per share, which is a huge premium over the $40/share approx that it was trading at.

Altium has zero debt, it's been a pure cash cow for 30 years.

That's one heck of a cash out for Aram. I believe original founder Nick Martin sold most or all of his shares after he was booted out.
I feel sorry for Nick, he's a nice guy, and a nerdy tech guy who just didn't know how to run a business for profit. Aram did and it payed off for him.

I was this close to buying shares at 10 cents  |O

The following users thanked this post: SiliconWizard, Nominal Animal

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2024, 10:28:28 am »
Second thought: Japanese companies operate a bit differently, they buy anything slightly related to their business.

I wonder is this does anything for the big US government customers? Japan is a US ally, so I'm guessing no impact.
When Altium packed up and moved to China all the US government bodies said they would stop using the package, oops.

Offline iMo

• Super Contributor
  • It's important to try new things..
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2024, 10:54:11 am »
Second thought: Japanese companies operate a bit differently, they buy anything slightly related to their business.

I wonder is this does anything for the big US government customers? Japan is a US ally, so I'm guessing no impact.
When Altium packed up and moved to China all the US government bodies said they would stop using the package, oops.

Which US gov bodies use Altium? ;D
Purchasing of "strategic" goods is subject to many anti- anti- anti- acts/laws in US, especially when the gov body is purchasing something..
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 10:57:27 am by iMo »

Offline delfinom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2024, 11:53:41 am »

Not really, US FedRAMP requirements basically exclusively mandate US citizenship for the operational end of cloud and software services, there is no exception for allies. But that's just for all the cloud junk which Altium is heavily pushing. These requirements are also infectious of contracts and contractors have to follow them too if they are working on govt contracts.

For plain software without the spyware and cloud the rules aren't as strict.

Though I work with US govt bodies, they don't do any kind of hardware design, it's long been outsourced to contractors who can use whatever.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 12:05:01 pm by delfinom »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2024, 12:31:55 pm »

Altium has zero debt, it's been a pure cash cow for 30 years.

That's one heck of a cash out for Aram. I believe original founder Nick Martin sold most or all of his shares after he was booted out.
I feel sorry for Nick, he's a nice guy, and a nerdy tech guy who just didn't know how to run a business for profit. Aram did and it payed off for him.

I was this close to buying shares at 10 cents  |O
I should have mined 1000 Bitcoins... I should not have sold them when they where worth €10 each... I should not have sold them when they where worth €100 each... I should not have sold them when they where worth €1000 each... I should not have sold them when they where worth €10000 each... The list goes on...  8)
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf