Author Topic: Residents asked to switch off appliances this afternoon due to heat [AU]  (Read 23749 times)

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
Re: Residents asked to switch off appliances this afternoon due to heat [AU]
« Reply #100 on: February 24, 2017, 01:47:21 pm »
Quote from: HackedFridgeMagnet
... Most states I think have already split the Electricity supply into 3 roles.  Generating, Distribution and Retail-Metering. 
Quote from: vk6zgo
Which is a seriously dumb idea---lack of communication between the  3 entities will lead to higher, rather than lower costs.
Absofookenlootly a bad idea !! I was living in the states, applying for a green card, in the late 90s / 2000 and had several run-ins with power / phone companies.
They were all broken into at LEAST 3 parts, and the run-around was horrible, and each had their own legal department, who constantly threatened legal action, rather
than discussing the problem ... we were accidentally given someone else's account, and they refused to withdraw it as it was NO-ONEs department.
In the end our lawyer told us to pay it - US$1,500.00. Same kept happening to her family and friends ... I withdrew my application.
AND .. with it all split up, you now have several CEOs and boards etc etc that will milk millions $s and pass the buck. Been there, done that :-)  Look at OZ post currently !
Oz post is not divided into three?? Cant see any useful analogy.

The normally consumer doesn't have to deal with anyone but the Retailer. They never will deal with the generators and only deal with distribution if they need to change the wires. ie. Move the meterbox or something like that.
At least the split has natural lines of demarcation so it may last.
The only one of the three that has a monopoly now is the Distribution and therefore shouldn't be privatised just regulated.
Unfortunately it seems some of the generators have been colluding to inflate prices, not sure what is the best way to stop this though.

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2017, 09:27:07 pm »
... Oz post is not divided into three?? Cant see any useful analogy.
In this example, I meant each CEO / boards "wages" add up pretty fast to rediculous amounts, which we have to cover.
  .. The normally consumer doesn't have to deal with anyone but the Retailer... 
I am often involved in installs etc, including right now, on a 22KV feed. What a shlt mess. As far as the normal consumer in OZ, it may be reasonable now,
but I've experienced how bad it can get in the US, when they took this path. PLUS I do see submissions by the various groups ! Luckily, very few get through !!
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102 on: February 25, 2017, 01:03:52 am »
Whatever you guys do, make sure it's not close to what Ontario is doing.  Our hydro rates are through the roof and keep going up multiple times a year.  The delivery fee is where they really rape you, but A/C is going to take a chunk out of your pay cheque too.

Offline Avacee

• Supporter
« Reply #103 on: March 10, 2017, 03:51:02 pm »
Good News South Australia!

The self-proclaimed Electronics Messiah is willing to wave his magic wand   http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39229255

Just curious - what the heck would 300MWH of batteries look like?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 03:52:58 pm by Avacee »

Offline Avacee

• Supporter
« Reply #105 on: March 10, 2017, 10:48:51 pm »
I've started a separate thread about it.

Apologies - hadn't seen that thread.

Offline knks

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #106 on: March 24, 2017, 01:50:10 am »
I guess you can't compare the climate in the USA with Australia. I think fairly decent insulation has been pretty standard (if not, even required) in Australian homes for how many decades? Does anyone know?
LOL

Even now houses are built with single-glazed windows.

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: March 24, 2017, 04:43:01 am »
I guess you can't compare the climate in the USA with Australia. I think fairly decent insulation has been pretty standard (if not, even required) in Australian homes for how many decades? Does anyone know?
LOL

Even now houses are built with single-glazed windows.

Yikes, can't imagine not having proper insulation and windows.  Vapour barrier is quite important too.  Whether climate is hot or warm it's same idea,  you want to either keep the heat in, or keep it out.

My house is old and has terrible vapour barrier though and I suffer in winter because of that.  One day I need to rip out drywall on all outside walls and redo insulation and VB, but that's a huge messy job especially the kitchen as I'd have to take out all the cabinets, under sink plumbing etc. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf