Author Topic: Restoration Fake & or Damaged Beyond Repair  (Read 10467 times)

Offline jonovidTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
Restoration Fake & or Damaged Beyond Repair
« on: January 17, 2020, 11:11:16 am »
one more video for you
see this

Restoration KENWOOD Cassette Deck X 76 Antique _ Rescue sound equipment Rusty Restore

I do not believe this video is a genuine restoration
this Dude could make a killing repairing high end electronics , if its was true! 
I think this video was re-edited in reverse, with the cassette deck been first seen in working order.
with maybe some spot corrosion added on the metel at first. water soluble paint.
then secondly the same cassette deck been in the video water damaged, even battery acid used to speed up corrosion on the metal.
if this video is a genuine electronics restoration? I will be very very surprised.  :o
what do you think? my clue was the odd multimeter testing that was a bit too hard to believe. 
no spare parts, no new caps , or  :bullshit:
can anyone debunk this video? how it was made.
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline austfox

• Regular Contributor
Re: Restoration Fake & or Damaged Beyond Repair
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 11:39:27 am »
I watched this a couple of days ago, and like you I was undecided on it’s authenticity.

However, since then YouTube has been recommending me similar repair videos which all seem to have the same type of damage. Definitely deceiving, and you are probably correct that they have filmed it in reverse.

The following users thanked this post: jonovid

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 01:58:46 pm »
Me thinks two units may be involved - I don't believe the pristine state of that chassis as he's putting the board back in. No scratches and the plating miraculously restored. Things like the non-sealed motors wouldn't have survived either.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 02:45:25 pm »
With them knowing where to go by car far out? and then putting the hose to clean it and I find it questionable.

Whether it is a genuine or fake it seems to be like a lot of trouble and effort they put into making that video.

See picture.

Kenwood50945-132sp

I wonder if that is the date stamp 23/11/2000.

If that is the date stamp I wouldn't call it antique compared to many others that are decades older and I'd think they'd be wasting their time.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 03:09:39 pm by MrMobodies »

Offline vwestlife

• Regular Contributor
    • The Official AM STEREO Web Site
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 03:24:52 pm »
This guy calls out all the restoration videos where the condition and location the item was "found" in was obviously staged and the attempt at "restoring" it is totally botched:

Subscribe to VWestlife on YouTube
Retro Tech - Audio - Video - Radio - Computers - Electronics

The following users thanked this post: Cyberdragon, MrMobodies

Offline dnwheeler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 07:21:37 pm »
There are a ton of fake restoration videos (and channels) on YouTube. Some are very obvious by their application of mud, and very light surface rust. In some cases, they are simply cleaning - in others they are swapping out all (yes, all) the parts for new ones off camera.

Offline andy3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 07:47:16 pm »
May be we can send him all our old stuff to sell and make a profit! At least, he does not have to go scrounging in garbage dumps!

The cassette doors were open when he picked it up but the interior of the compartment was surprisingly clean and one could see the green rectangular thing between the take up and feed in. Bloody genius!

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 07:55:00 pm »
Whether it is a genuine or fake it seems to be like a lot of trouble and effort they put into making that video.

If that is the date stamp I wouldn't call it antique compared to many others that are decades older and I'd think they'd be wasting their time.

722k views is probably a pretty good reason (I've no idea how much that would net them).
Best Regards, Chris

Offline vwestlife

• Regular Contributor
    • The Official AM STEREO Web Site
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 08:33:50 pm »
There are tons of fake cooking and crafting videos on YouTube, too. Most of them come from content farms in Ukraine. This channel gives them the EEVblog/Thunderf00t-style "BUSTED!" videos they deserve:

Subscribe to VWestlife on YouTube
Retro Tech - Audio - Video - Radio - Computers - Electronics

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 09:58:35 pm »
Fixing an old vacuum tube radio or waterproof military radio after some time in water maybe. That one, no way and totally fake.

After spending some time in water, the switch contacts would be gone, water ingression into chip packages, corrosion on mechanics/bearings, rotten enamel wire on variable inductors/transformer..... One of those and that dude would have never fixed it with his poor tools.

Not to mention, owning an $80k Tesla and fixing $20 junk, his funny DMM&soldering iron, poor soldering skills, random poking with probes, that doesn't add up. Makes good youtube money, however and about 80% of population is dumb enough to believe it :palm:

BTW, anyone wants to learn on how to TIG weld from that scammer?
https://youtu.be/5D0DZHHoh3c?t=272  :-DD :-DD :-DD  |O
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 10:16:41 pm by MadTux »

Offline Domagoj T

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 11:10:42 pm »
Is he's dunking the tungsten into the puddle on each bead? I'd chuck that propeller overboard. The weld looks porous even on the surface. The interior has got to be the spongiest thing ever.

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2020, 11:40:19 pm »
Is he's dunking the tungsten into the puddle on each bead?

Looks like it,  but I guess the "welding" is fake as well. No way he gets a nice puddle after a couple of milliseconds arc time, the welding beats don't look conistent with the "welding technique". Couple of spot welds don't give a big puddle cooling pattern like seen at 5:48 on the right:
https://youtu.be/5D0DZHHoh3c?t=348

I guess, it's like a composite, "broken" part, somewhat competently welded part overlay and fake welding over that, with both pictures merged at the welding point. No idea why, but can't explain it otherwise.

Futhermore, the welding puddle cooling pattern at 5:48 looks like it was welded top to bottom direction, yet he welds that side from bottom to top  ;D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 11:51:49 pm by MadTux »

Online amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2020, 03:05:58 am »
Are there any of the highly-viewed restoration channels that have real restoration videos? I've only watched a few, but some are clearly bogus (like the OP) while others might be more believable?

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2020, 05:27:57 am »
Are there any of the highly-viewed restoration channels that have real restoration videos? I've only watched a few, but some are clearly bogus (like the OP) while others might be more believable?
Hand Tool Rescue (he has a lot of rust remover)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCasG9kJWi1eVxM0QkyqKVJQ

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2020, 06:46:48 am »
TysyTube (cringe warning! Sometimes puts shitty cheap Chinese LEDs, cold white too, in vintage electrics, though he's gotten better at not doing that)
Mr.Electricity
Odd Tinkering
Rescue and Restore

Just to name a few I believe to be legit.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

The following users thanked this post: dnwheeler

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2020, 07:13:15 am »
David Tipton is awesome doing old and antique radio casing and mechanical restoration, like this one where he restored a crusty turntable deck in a radiogram

Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2020, 09:03:52 am »
Mr Carlson's Lab does some decent restore work.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike, dnwheeler

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2020, 10:30:58 am »
These are at the top of my '100 electronics restoration' channels, and in no particular order

youtube.com/user/MrCarlsonsLab/videos?disable_polymer=1

youtube.com/user/Stratosaurus1/videos?disable_polymer=1

youtube.com/user/dlab500/videos?disable_polymer=1

No BS hoax restos, just getting it done and explaining what's being done and why, 
showing a believable before and after,
and no annoying stupid moozik in the background   |O

Multiple thumbs up for these dudes  :-+ :-+ :-+

and the inverse  :-- :-- :-- for the yt wankers who 'old up' working gear, knowing in advance what needs 'troubleshooting and restoring'  :palm:

« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 10:39:02 am by Electro Detective »

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2020, 10:36:12 am »
If you're into old valve radio restoration, Glasslinger:   https://www.youtube.com/user/glasslinger/videos

There's other stuff too, like fabricating a working replica WW2 Magnetron from scratch!
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2020, 01:12:36 am »

If you're into old valve radio restoration, Glasslinger:   https://www.youtube.com/user/glasslinger/videos

There's other stuff too, like fabricating a working replica WW2 Magnetron from scratch!

I gave that link a go  :-+  and picked a video at random >  youtube.com/watch?v=ppj3gqUTt9E
and whilst the content was spot on, I got caught unawares at first with the tech wearing a dress, make up, nails, wig?  etc   :o

and well, I have to ask..  :-//

« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 01:16:10 am by Electro Detective »

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2020, 01:23:24 am »

I gave that link a go  :-+  and picked a video at random >  youtube.com/watch?v=ppj3gqUTt9E
and whilst the content was spot on, I got caught unawares at first with the tech wearing a dress, make up, nails, wig?  etc   :o

Remember - it's not "he" or "she" any longer, it is "they"!

Online amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2020, 03:40:24 am »
That is still a "he"...

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2020, 09:03:21 am »

Glasslinger just likes a nice frock, I prefer jeans and a shirt, it's just clothes man, we all have our own style.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2020, 11:21:59 am »

Yeah, I deliberately didn't mention that. What can I say, the guy likes a dress. He's done some fun stuff (project wise) though - like actually getting that Magnetron to output something! I wish I had his vacuum and glass-working stuff.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 11:27:42 am by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2020, 12:54:45 pm »
Glasslinger just likes a nice frock, I prefer jeans and a shirt, it's just clothes man, we all have our own style.
Ah yes, the old TV who likes fixing old TV's.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Cyberdragon

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf