Author Topic: Results from 2011 PE exam  (Read 2266 times)

Offline slateraptor

• Frequent Contributor
Results from 2011 PE exam
« on: April 24, 2012, 01:09:10 am »
http://www.todaysengineer.org/2012/Apr/licensure.asp

61% pass rate for first-timers; 27% for repeats...evidently, prospects are still looking quite abysmal. I would have thought the better segmentation of specializations would make the exam a lot more manageable. Subject matter for electrical and electronics seems very fair.

For the sake of completeness, subject matters for computer engineering and power specializations. I would def get owned on the power exam.

Offline Ajahn Lambda

• Regular Contributor
  • quecksilberdampfgleichrichter
Re: Results from 2011 PE exam
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 12:21:03 am »
I am so tempted to attempt this exam....

What fees are involved with it?  I haven't looked at this stuff in quite some time.
I am not a smatr poney.

Offline slateraptor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 01:00:45 am »
The state administers the exam, so it varies, e.g. fee for Florida is $230 for first-time takers after satisfying other requires, including passing the FE and 4 years industry experience, typically under the supervision of a qualified PE.

For Michigan, engineer licensing board website is here; you'll have to dabble a bit to find how much it'll actually run you. You can also browse the NCEES licensing boards list by state here.

I haven't even taken the FE, let alone satisfy the 4-year experience requirement, so this is all researched info.

Have you passed the FE yet? If so, what's it like? My cousin (civil engineer type) passed 2 years ago and said it was cake...but then again, rumor has it that the civil curriculum is quite the "a little bit of this, a little bit of that" affair. Their FE pass rates are 12% higher than EEs at any rate.

Offline Ajahn Lambda

• Regular Contributor
  • quecksilberdampfgleichrichter
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 03:50:49 am »
Hey thanks for that info! :)

I've not taken any exams yet  :-[ .  I've had the idea of taking the PE exams in the back of my mind for a number of years.  During my junior year of EE, I was in a group project in which our advisor was a PE (specializing in embedded systems), and I was somewhat 'bedazzled' by how he could pick up and leave jobs and contract work as he pleased.  Jealousy of a pirate's life, right?  I'd have to brush up on virtually everything covered to have a chance passing, I'm sad to say;  besides that, I don't have the industry requirements, either.  Looks like I'll have to save my pennies so I can return to university some day.

Ah, but to be qualified and able to do contract work....
I am not a smatr poney.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf