Author Topic: Rethinking bench work with a neck problem  (Read 2559 times)

Offline hansTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Rethinking bench work with a neck problem
« on: January 06, 2021, 11:06:38 am »
Last year I've received a diagnosis that concludes my neck is messed up. It's likely not something I could have done anything about since I've got more congenital skeletal problems. I don't think it's necessary to get into the medical terms of diagnosis, however, doctors recommended a fusion surgery of my C2-C3 cervical vertebra and possibly C1-C2 as well. Yikes. The doctor told me that range of neck motion will be "severely compromised" after a fusion, which according to my own research is 1/3 to 50% looking up and down and about 50% to 2/3s looking left-right (if C1-C2 is necessary). I'll talk to him soon again, in person hopefully this time, about my scans and treatment plan. AFAIK surgery is the only option since the congenital malformation is a clear contraindication for chiropractic or manual therapy. At this moment I'm strongly considering going for a surgery sometime soon.

However, going for such a surgery also forces me to think about the possibilities of continuing electronics work. For the time being I was recommended to be conservative with my neck usage. Short term this means I've stopped doing any electronics tinkering or bench work. However since I do electronic prototyping at work and also occasionally as a hobby, I would like to discuss about alternative options.

For hobby I think that the China PCB+assembly services that have been introduced in the last few years will be a bless for me, although a bit more expensive than just building 1 or 2 boards by yourself. For work I might be occasionally be able to arrange this with a local firm, but likely not for every board. To be more specific since I'm in academia, I will likely have to do soldering or rework for my own designs since everything I do is experimental..

Therefore I've been considering the use of e.g. a Mantis Compact microscope (or similar) so that I don't have to flex my neck downwards when working on boards. I've used these before and the 3D optics were really impressive, however I did find the usable 2D work area relatively small (not sure what lens it had installed, probably 4x). And you need to sit still right in front of the viewfinder. That's what I think will likely be a bottleneck (painful pun :-//): I've been able to solder 0402 parts without magnification with my current eyesight, but I think that navigating tools or parts around the bench will likely be more of a problem.

So by the off chance, I wonder if there other people on this forum that have been able to circumvent practical issues like this? I've been thinking about perhaps using an extra mirror or overhead camera on the bench, but I'm afraid those won't suffice for picking up small SMD parts (e.g. optically too small or awkward hand-eye coordination). Alternatively maybe I could use a secondary camera-based microscope with LCD just for the purpose of navigation, but again only for a specific work area.

Worst case I would have to drop hands-on bench work altogether, which is a shame, but it's most important that I conserve my neck and health. However I'm sure there are plenty of things to do in firmware-land. :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 11:12:27 am by hans »

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
Re: Rethinking bench work with a neck problem
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 05:04:08 pm »
That sucks, sorry to hear you're having to deal with that.  Is disc replacement an option for you? AIUI (based on friends' experience and conversations with my own orthopedist) cervical disc replacements are quite effective if the problem is disc-related and have vastly shorter recovery times than fusion, but of course it depends on what the specific problem is, and whether or not the vertebral bone is healthy enough for it.

Maybe one of those really nice camera-based microscopes (Tagarno?) would be worth looking at. You lose the depth perception that a mantis or even a regular stereo microscope provides, but potentially gain a lot of flexibility in how you set it up to best accommodate your mobility restrictions.

The following users thanked this post: hans

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 06:16:59 pm »
To answer that, I would need to explain what is actually diagnosed. I was avoiding to get too medical, so skip to the next paragraph if you don't want to know. It is not a disc herniation which is called the classic 'hernia', which could resolve on it's own if you're lucky. Rather, it is called basilar invagination (or impression, if it is acquired later on). It basically means that C2 is out of place in the neck which could put pressure on the spinal cord or brain stem whenever I move my head to look down. I also suspect that I've might also have some atlanto-axial subluxation in there (which I would want to further check out), since symptoms sometimes develop or resolve when I turn my head as well. Symptoms include neck pain and very frequent migraines among many other things, most of which are intermittent or reoccurring episodically and switching left/right side as well. To my best understanding (I still need to learn the full details of the surgery plan), the surgeon wants to fix the basilar invagination and perform a fusion to avoid further instability in the vertebra joints. Although it limits neck movement, it prevents further neurological symptoms or potentially damage (which in worst case could be lethal). They say that many people unknowingly have a (mild) BI yet are asymptomatic, however those who develop symptoms may need surgery.

The Tagarno ZAP looks quite interesting. Having the camera on a hinged arm could be very flexible, instead of a static area that is being magnified. Like I said, perhaps both could be used, as a Mantis does have the 3D inspection capabilities while a hinged microscope could be a more ergonomic bench-viewfinder. I do wonder the price tag on those Tagarno units, as I've only found pricing in AUD$ (and also well over 6.5k$ ::) ). A Mantis Compact is quite a lot cheaper  (2.1k euro incl VAT on Distrelec) which would be doable as an 'investment' to continue the hobby.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 06:28:32 pm »
Sorry to hear about your problem.

While I have not encountered people with the exact same issue, I do know someone with two vertebrate segments fused.  You may be surprised by how well the human body is capable of adjusting.

After a while, may be your body will adjust well to it, such as looking up/down using lower vertebrate segments say pivoting around the shoulder to look up and down.  It will not be as good as normal, but may be, not as debilitating as feared.  I hope that would be your case - not as debilitating as you currently expect.

Good luck to you.  Don't let that get you down.

Best wishes to you...

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 06:51:34 pm »
Resveratrol is helpful in spinal and disc injury, both involving surgery and not. It has generally salutary effects on bones and spinal discs, as well as nerves, pinched or otherwise.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=resveratrol+disc

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=spine+resveratrol

« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 02:49:56 am by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 02:31:57 am »
I use a https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5X-90X-Simul-Focal-Lockable-Zoom-Trinocular-Stereo-Microscope-Dual-Arm-Boom/254356252790 with a 4k camera attachment

Also paired with https://www.amazon.com/QuadHands-Jumbo-Workbench-Soldering-Precision/dp/B07D9WHXV1 and https://sensepeek.com/ pcb holders

I rarely use the physical lenses and its pretty easy to solder with or air pencil once you get used to using a nice 4k panel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 01:01:02 pm »
Sorry to hear about your problem.

While I have not encountered people with the exact same issue, I do know someone with two vertebrate segments fused.  You may be surprised by how well the human body is capable of adjusting.

After a while, may be your body will adjust well to it, such as looking up/down using lower vertebrate segments say pivoting around the shoulder to look up and down.  It will not be as good as normal, but may be, not as debilitating as feared.  I hope that would be your case - not as debilitating as you currently expect.

Good luck to you.  Don't let that get you down.

Best wishes to you...

Thanks, I sincerely hope so that is the case. We rarely use full range of motion for every task. However, I do believe that first 2 vertebra are very important for range of motion, so I'll see.. eventually.

Resveratrol is helpful in spinal and disc injury, both involving surgery and not. It has generally salutary effects on bones and spinal discs, as well as nerves, pinched or otherwise.

Interesting, I usually take vitamin supplements in winter (in particular for vitamin D), but I may also give those supplements a try.

I use a https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5X-90X-Simul-Focal-Lockable-Zoom-Trinocular-Stereo-Microscope-Dual-Arm-Boom/254356252790 with a 4k camera attachment

Also paired with https://www.amazon.com/QuadHands-Jumbo-Workbench-Soldering-Precision/dp/B07D9WHXV1 and https://sensepeek.com/ pcb holders

I rarely use the physical lenses and its pretty easy to solder with or air pencil once you get used to using a nice 4k panel

Interesting pieces of kit. I think that sensepeek would be useful for everyone, but especially as an extra hand.

Not sure about the microscope with regular binoculars, but the DIY camera attachment also sounds like an interesting idea. I will take a look later this week.

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 06:10:40 pm »
I didn't realise the Tagarno kit was THAT expensive, wow.  For a fraction of that price you could certainly get an excellent simufocal trinocular scope, a great camera with HDMI out and a good sized monitor.  If you have the ability to use a stereo scope for limited periods of time that might be a nice compromise: use it via the camera for the most part, but when you need depth perception you've got the eyepieces right there. 

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 07:54:55 am »
Sorry about your neck.  Hopefully it's something that maybe over time some amount of therapy plus mother nature can help heal to some degree.

I'm sure you've considered sitting vs standing and how that relates to microscope configurations but just in case....

I recently got into using a microscope for soldering and it has turned out to be hugely useful for through hole as well SMD.  In looking at different microscope configurations I found that of course the working distance would be driven by various lens magnfications, etc. At the end of the configuring you end up with working distance, field of view, etc. and then when it's all done the microscope sits on a bench at some height and you wind up with the oculars at some height.  Long story short, in addition to the microsocope configuration when you factor in the bench height itself you can drive the oculars to a height that is either good for standing, or sitting, or possibly both.  Point being that maybe either standing or sitting at just the right height, for your height and preferences, could help ease the strain on your neck / shoulders / back / etc.

Here is a link to a thread where at the end I recorded some measurements in an attached table that might help your process of selecting an optimum solution. 

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/the-ergonomics-of-microscope-soldering-direct-optical-view-vs-cameramo-257888/msg3332530/#msg3332530

At the very end of my microscope configuring project was the selection of a stool/chair that had a good fioot rest and that could be raised or lowered within just the right range and that was stable (I replaced the roller feet with stationary feet).  The stool/chair was a full piece of the microscope system in terms of it's impact on system usability.

Good luck! 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 03:21:49 pm by Electro Fan »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 11:51:51 pm »
IMO I would see what physiotherapist says and work on that short term, after doctors have looked everything over of course, see if there is any posture issues or similar that could be improved at all.

In terms of gear, I don't think its critical as long as its highly adjustable. eg if tagarno is too expensive, cheap stereo microscope is fine if it has forward + back as well as up and down (boom style). Add to this a desk that you can move up and down to get the right height that works for you would be nice. I tend to prefer sitting very low when soldering, so I don't have to bend my neck to look down. A vise to hold the board higher up may help too (eg hakko).

source: broken multiple vertebrae and was in a neck brace for past few months :D

Interesting, although the studies I see refer to application during the injury or surgery, and not after. Also all animal models, OK, not ideal.
Sadly some stuff can be done at the time of injury or shortly after, and given enough time, you can't apply the same methods any longer. But would be relevant if OP undergoes surgery.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2021, 01:57:04 am »
Don’t go through surgery, you’ll be worse, and worse forever in an unfixable way. Do whatever exercises you need to get better, seems like muscle strengthening would help you. So take up swimming or bench presses.

Seems like this is the right story for you

https://youtu.be/qX9FSZJu448
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 02:25:56 am by MasterTech »

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, hans

Offline jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2021, 04:14:57 am »
You might look at used surgical (OP) microscopes which have special heads that tilt from horizontal to vertical to accommodate whatever the surgeon is working on. Combine that with an appropriate 0.3X to 0.5X auxiliary objective, to raise the microscope, and you will not have to look down.

The heads from Wild/Leica also work on their non-surgical M-series microscopes, with the caveat that they may introduce some vignetting if you put a photo tube or very wide field (10X/26.5) oculars in the optical stack. I have thought about getting one for my M7A.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 04:19:54 am by jfiresto »
-John

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 10:30:26 pm »
Thanks for the new comments this has been getting.

I have visited the prof doctor today. Good news: I don't need surgery, yet. Plan is to wait 1 year and see how it develops. It may be coincidental that I have the neck as is and also happen to have migraines or other neck pain. In fact, this sounds plausible to me as I have had weekly migraines for almost 20 years now. He described it as 'impossible' to find any correlation let alone causation between symptom and cause. The prof said that my scans & degree of BI are not too severe to rush into a fixation surgery. Indeed only during neck flexion the medulla is slightly impressed due to C1 being positioned too high, which is perhaps the only issue I really have. The spine and other vertebra looked fine. Nonetheless, the bad news is fixation is a very invalidating surgery (as @MasterTech suggests). He explained that fixing C1 requires a full fusion, in which the neck has very little movement left (likely need adjusted car or can't drive, etc.). It should still be considered if more severe symptoms develop, such a consistent tingling in hands or a gait that mimics a drunk person, but for now let's hope that will never be the case.
The video from MasterTech is very inspiring. Yes I'm pretty confident that the route of conservative treatment is still largely unexplored. My doctor could not give an explanation w.r.t. correlation with stress, being more overweight, etc.  : only that both factors lowers the threshold of external stimuli...

Unfortunately he was only able to give little direct advice w.r.t. lifestyle or work. Raising the work level or using a microscope seems like a valid option to avoid symptoms like tingling. No mention of the degree of care I should take in this. Tingling is mostly harmless. Basically, he told me that I am the judge on what is acceptable.

So still a safe bet to adjust as much as I can anyway. A few weeks ago I raised my computer monitor setup as high as it would go (so I slightly look up wards). I also daily take Resveratrol 100mg for the last 2 weeks now. Unfortunately, neck/headache episodes still come and go, but I will continue to take Resveratrol for a little while (I have another bottle of 30 capsules). Like I said, my neck may indeed actually not have vertebra subluxations but 'only' a too highly positioned C1.

With regards to recommendations of microscopes:

I think that on a microscope; eyepiece adjustment is very nice to have... I'm not to keen on the ones where the eyepieces are titled and too far back on the bench to reach, so you still tilt your head 20 degrees down to look into them.
Then again, tilting only 20 degrees is probably a massive 40-70 degrees saved, depending on how much you like the board you're soldering. :-/O :)

Unfortunately, I'm not too impressed by the prices from Leica (the surgical versions, at least). Tagarno microscopes were also really expensive.. I'm afraid they will be out of reach even at work - academic budgets are unfortunately finite. A Mantis may be viable. I will discuss that option next week at work and my company doctor.

For hobby I contemplate a adjustable standard + HDMI camera + external monitor. I have taken a look at the option provided by Electo Fan at Dutch shops:
E.g. AmScope SM-4TP + KP-2307V-05XHY-1138 or HY-1138 camera. The Amprobe base still has the titled binoculars, but with the camera I would have both options. Nice thing is I can add the camera as an addon if I find that long sessions on the binoculars is uneasy.

Alternatives could be this camera+stand or with additional screen. But I don't really like the last option (why have a proprietary screen when I have 2 FullHD IPS monitors collecting dust here... The Amazon camera+stand unfortunately is not available, but it's probably the KP-2307V camera (or similar).

The first Eleshop kit + 2K camera options seems like a semi-affordable option. Not sure whether the 4NTP or 4TP model have significant differences though. Working distance of 100mm or 200mm with 0.5 Barlow lens sounds very good  (Mantis Compact/Elite is about 160mm at 2x zoom). Unfortunately, the specifications for the camera head are IMO a bit vague (let's say lost in translation).

Things I still question about the Amprobe, maybe some people have experience with it:

What is the view range (e.g. width)? This is in case I also would like to use it for other activities such as assembly or finishing 3D prints (sanding etc).
How easy is it to switch the Barlow lens? Switching quickly between 0.5x or 0.3x sounds like it may be worth it..

Height adjustments on my desk or work area also sounds like a good idea. I may actually start to draw up a plan together, now that I have some more info on microscopes :)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 10:38:48 pm by hans »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 11:39:36 pm »
Unfortunately he was only able to give little direct advice w.r.t. lifestyle or work. Raising the work level or using a microscope seems like a valid option to avoid symptoms like tingling. No mention of the degree of care I should take in this. Tingling is mostly harmless. Basically, he told me that I am the judge on what is acceptable.

This is not surprising, from what I've seen its black and white. If it doesn't need surgery they won't have anything to say beyond that. Which is OK, just know that you should follow up with a physiotherapist/kinesiologist/etc to get relevant advice there.

Headaches could be from anything, but yeah having your neck craned forward definitely would not help. Some other things that could be worth looking at: general bloodwork (Fe, B12, Mg, D, etc.), dental issues, sleep issues (if you wake up with dry mouth or have trouble waking up).

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2021, 04:40:36 am »
What is the view range (e.g. width)? This is in case I also would like to use it for other activities such as assembly or finishing 3D prints (sanding etc).
How easy is it to switch the Barlow lens? Switching quickly between 0.5x or 0.3x sounds like it may be worth it..

Good news on no surgery!

I think you are asking about width in terms of Field of View (FOV).  The measurements are in the attached table at the bottom of the link I provided.  Changing Barlow lenses is easy, like changing a light bulb - maybe less than a minute (~15-30 seconds x 2 to unscrew one off and screw the other on).

Edit:  I upgraded the time from about 30 sec total to about 1 min - no sense in rushing, but more more importantly, fwiw, almost all my Barlow changes were done when I first set up the scope.  Once I got a sense for the tradeoffs I picked the Barlow that worked best for me overall (in terms of working space, Field Of View, and the various magnifications with respect to clarity, sharpness, detail) and then standardized on that Barlow lens (which in my case happened to be the 0.5).

It’s nice knowing what each of the Barlows do but if somehow I could have experienced the differences for free I could have saved some $ on the trying/experimenting.  Having said that it’s somewhat nice to know that if I find some new use case I have the other Barlows on hand.  In general, on the Amscope 4 series I’d suggest the 0.5 as a starter for soldering related work but maybe read my description/comments regarding the 0.3 and 0.7 if you think one of those might be better for your use. 

Something to keep in mind is that you can increase the working distance to an extent that you have plenty of working space and also relatively more Field Of View (both of which can be useful) but at some point you will be optically so far from the subject that you might start to prefer a closer in perspective that would enable your eyes and brain to resolve and yield more detail.  And as mentioned, the lesser magnification (smaller Barlow number) drives the oculars (and your eyes, head, and neck) higher from the bench.  So it’s a bit of a puzzle and until you experience it with your particular setup it’s hard to know with certainty what’s best for your needs and preferences. The chart I published should help show some trends among the tradeoffs.

It’s like picking among cars with various specs, options, and qualitative descriptions; you can read the reviews but after doing your research a test drive or a 1 day take home demo would help make decisions.  YMMV but I think you are on the right road :)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 01:18:33 pm by Electro Fan »

Offline jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2021, 06:26:53 am »

Unfortunately, I'm not too impressed by the prices from Leica (the surgical versions, at least). Tagarno microscopes were also really expensive.. I'm afraid they will be out of reach even at work - academic budgets are unfortunately finite....

The prices are not so bad if you go used. Roughly, you might be looking at 600–700 euros to make a used Wild stereo microscope super-ergonomic and that again for the microscope, but the cost depends a lot on your patience.
-John

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2021, 12:07:47 am »
I am trying to improve my posture so that my back alignment is better when working + cure bad habits which I feel are bad for my back. So I am trying to figure out a way to use machine vision to tell myself to "perk up" when my posture is bad. I'm looking into pose estimation as a means to do it.

Open pose or maybe openCV?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 12:10:13 am by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2021, 06:35:16 pm »
I thought I had replied to this earlier, but I don't see it.  I had occasional bad cramping of neck and shoulder-area muscles about 20 years ago, I think.  It occasionally got quite bad, lasting for several days, way worse than a typical "stiff neck".  I took calcium and it cleared up.  So, I started taking
calcium daily, like 2 extra-strength TUMS morning and night.  The neck cramping has NEVER returned!

I have no idea if this might be of help, but you might try it and see.  Certainly better than fusion surgery if it helps.

Jon

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2021, 09:25:59 pm »
I started electronics before squatting heavy and I found that after I got my squat weight (say 2 sets of 5) to a reasonable non pathetic level, where you can do the squats and not feel totally destroyed for like a week, alot of the pains I got from working at a tall bench went away

Usually if something hurts because of duration, you don't really adapt too well to it by doing it often, you need to work on other things.. i find the body seems to just want to barely get by.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 09:29:28 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2021, 11:38:07 pm »
Hans

I'm an electronics Tech (a bit older now) ....and have cervical fusions.  C1-2 fusions are very high...quite odd!.  Most are C4-T2.  You can also have ACDF Anterior Cervical Discectomy Fusions from through the front of the neck.   They move the larynx out the way put plates in. 

Now ACDF doesn't particularly hurt that much but they usually also do posterior fusions.   Which unfortunately hurts a lot ...a lot..... with a lot of ongoing pain.   It can take years to settle.   Infection with multiple surgeries is also a danger.  The Cervical areas involved not only support the neck but your arm movements go thru around C4/5...so you tend to get tingling fingers.

I'm 74% fused in my spine: S1-L5; T12-T6; C4-T2 posterior and ACDF.  Had multiple multiple surgeries and multiple MRSA  and other infections.   I am still doing electronic repairs to SMD PCB component level systems (Losmandy Gemini telescope computers...LQFP 144 pin IC R&R and the other usuals) but have changed my ways, a lot.

I use a video microscope...obviously a mantis would be better (I cannot afford one) Raised my bench.   Set up a work station to inspect PCBs while in a reclining armchair (antistatic stuff installed).  Limit my sitting work time ...get up walk away relax....come back...many times per day.

Its taken me years Ill never get better will get worse but can still continue....It's  not the end of the world but you will find it difficult.  Give it time to heal...min 6+ months...if posterior...2 yrs (for the pain to start to recede).  Slowly build up work.

The unfortunate part is once you have spinal fusions more pressure is placed upon other level...which wear faster....you will need more so take it easy don't force movements.

Pain....everyone experiences pain differently but be prepared if you have posterior C4-T2.......its intense for quite awhile. It does get better.   I've lost partial feeling in my right hand and some fingers but can still solder with the best of them!  Go figure.   I cannot lift carry reach of hold any weights.  A little sensation loss in Left hand and Left leg and difficult to walk nowdays.

But hey I'm ok, its not the end of the world, I've been in enough hospitals to be grateful for what I do have.  I've seen some really sick people.....fusions like this just restrict you can cause pain....thing that can be managed though everyone is different.  In between surgery bouts and after lumber fusions...I was able to get out walk and even run after after years...but over did it wore the spine faster.  Ended up more surgery.  As for don't do it.....hmmm ever been in so much pain you scream.....the damage so bad your a quadriplegic possibility...damage above C6....can effect you breathing badly easily.   Take the specialist advice but do get another opinion.  You cannot exercise away disc; vertebra; nerve; or spinal cord stenosis damage.  In many cases the fusions are to prevent further damage.

I'm open to talk if you need...I've had that many spinal surgeries I cannot count them....so are kinda experienced of being on the user end!

I'm grateful to be able to still work somewhat.

cheers good luck relax don't fight it...take what comes it does get better.  This I know.

Brendan
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 11:46:19 pm by wasyoungonce »
I'd forget my Head if it wasn't screwed on!

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2021, 09:47:26 pm »
I thought I had replied to this earlier, but I don't see it.  I had occasional bad cramping of neck and shoulder-area muscles about 20 years ago, I think.  It occasionally got quite bad, lasting for several days, way worse than a typical "stiff neck".  I took calcium and it cleared up.  So, I started taking
calcium daily, like 2 extra-strength TUMS morning and night.  The neck cramping has NEVER returned!

I have no idea if this might be of help, but you might try it and see.  Certainly better than fusion surgery if it helps.

Jon

Be cautious with calcium supplementation: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/calcium_supplements_may_damage_the_heart
Get it from foods if possible.

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2021, 01:55:41 am »

Be cautious with calcium supplementation: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/calcium_supplements_may_damage_the_heart
Get it from foods if possible.
Thanks for that report, very interesting!  I will keep it in mind.  But, so far, my blood pressure rise has been very slow,
so it looks like this might not be causing me any problems.

Jon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2021, 12:20:11 pm »
Hans

I'm an electronics Tech (a bit older now) ....and have cervical fusions.  C1-2 fusions are very high...quite odd!.  Most are C4-T2.  You can also have ACDF Anterior Cervical Discectomy Fusions from through the front of the neck.   They move the larynx out the way put plates in. 

Now ACDF doesn't particularly hurt that much but they usually also do posterior fusions.   Which unfortunately hurts a lot ...a lot..... with a lot of ongoing pain.   It can take years to settle.   Infection with multiple surgeries is also a danger.  The Cervical areas involved not only support the neck but your arm movements go thru around C4/5...so you tend to get tingling fingers.

I'm 74% fused in my spine: S1-L5; T12-T6; C4-T2 posterior and ACDF.  Had multiple multiple surgeries and multiple MRSA  and other infections.   I am still doing electronic repairs to SMD PCB component level systems (Losmandy Gemini telescope computers...LQFP 144 pin IC R&R and the other usuals) but have changed my ways, a lot.

I use a video microscope...obviously a mantis would be better (I cannot afford one) Raised my bench.   Set up a work station to inspect PCBs while in a reclining armchair (antistatic stuff installed).  Limit my sitting work time ...get up walk away relax....come back...many times per day.

Its taken me years Ill never get better will get worse but can still continue....It's  not the end of the world but you will find it difficult.  Give it time to heal...min 6+ months...if posterior...2 yrs (for the pain to start to recede).  Slowly build up work.

The unfortunate part is once you have spinal fusions more pressure is placed upon other level...which wear faster....you will need more so take it easy don't force movements.

Pain....everyone experiences pain differently but be prepared if you have posterior C4-T2.......its intense for quite awhile. It does get better.   I've lost partial feeling in my right hand and some fingers but can still solder with the best of them!  Go figure.   I cannot lift carry reach of hold any weights.  A little sensation loss in Left hand and Left leg and difficult to walk nowdays.

But hey I'm ok, its not the end of the world, I've been in enough hospitals to be grateful for what I do have.  I've seen some really sick people.....fusions like this just restrict you can cause pain....thing that can be managed though everyone is different.  In between surgery bouts and after lumber fusions...I was able to get out walk and even run after after years...but over did it wore the spine faster.  Ended up more surgery.  As for don't do it.....hmmm ever been in so much pain you scream.....the damage so bad your a quadriplegic possibility...damage above C6....can effect you breathing badly easily.   Take the specialist advice but do get another opinion.  You cannot exercise away disc; vertebra; nerve; or spinal cord stenosis damage.  In many cases the fusions are to prevent further damage.

I'm open to talk if you need...I've had that many spinal surgeries I cannot count them....so are kinda experienced of being on the user end!

I'm grateful to be able to still work somewhat.

cheers good luck relax don't fight it...take what comes it does get better.  This I know.

Brendan

Thanks for your insights and openness. This gives me hope that there is still a lot possible, however, we all need to play with the hand you're dealt.

There hasn't really changed a whole lot w.r.t my condition the last few months. It went a bit better.. and now it comes back again a little back. I tried manual therapy on my shoulders up to lower part of the neck, but it had no appreciable effect. I still have neck and arm complaints when I get 'migraine'. The 'migraine' still hits several days a week, but I can manage them quite well. The medications from neurologist were giving me COVID-like side effects (tested negative every time), so I'm tapering off those. They hadn't really been effective anyway.

So far I don't have plans to do the spinal surgery. I don't think my case is severe enough as it stands. I added quotes to "migraine" because I'm not even sure if it is migraine. I seem to respond to triptans, but that could also be of exhaustion effect that can ease tension on muscles for all I know. The symptoms are also usually quite mild.. e.g. I was busy lately at work and I can still function to work on radio simulations and write a paper about it. It's not like I used to have (I think real) migraines where I was debilitated for the whole day, and I couldn't do anything else except lay flat.

Yes C1-C3 fusions are quite rare. I also think that most neurosurgeons would be very cautious in that region. I had read that in older surgery techniques, surgeons had to remove the lower jaw in order to reach and work on those area's successfully. Current techniques are still quite brutal, and like you said, only applied when there is a danger that the spinal cord or brain stem will be damaged.
Like I said, the condition is quite rare. I have other birth defects as well, of which each are also quite rare yet mild but added up may explain why I'm not a pro athlete. :-//

Luckily my job (PhD student) doesn't demand physical labour very much. It is very autonomous and I can steer towards my projects to the things I want to do. Usually that's a combination of software/signal algorithms, FPGA's and RF hardware. If needed I could choose to focus only on software/FPGA's and finish my projects in a satisfactory manner. I'm grateful that (right now) I don't have to doubt about my job security to do the things I love to do.

Since things have been kinda going the same and I've been very busy on that paper.. I haven't purchased a microscope yet. I do think I would go for an Amscope unit with an articulating arm to save space on my desk and have the flexibility of moving it around on the desk. My 1st choice would be something like this; https://www.amscope.com/stereo-microscopes/articulating-arms/3-5x-90x-trinocular-articulating-zoom-microscope-ring-light.html
(Except I need to find an EU supplier for it)

Next week I will receive some packages from JLC and Mouser with half a dozen personal projects. One of those projects is preassembled at JLC, only need to fit a few small connectors. Other projects are mostly SMT, but not really large complex designs.

I will see if I can manage to work on them, I haven't done much if any hardware designs in almost 2 years. If my neck is aggravated by it, I will finally make the plunge to a microscope for sure.  For work I'm also at a stage right now where it could be useful to create a hardware prototype. So it's also a little experiment to see if I can manage that, or perhaps that I am forcibly required to look if a colleague PhD student can take over a part of the work :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 12:33:57 pm by hans »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf