Author Topic: Beware of LED bulb flicker?  (Read 12764 times)

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
Re: Beware of LED bulb flicker?
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2017, 04:43:54 pm »
White, high brightness LEDs use a phosphor that is excited by blue/UV light, similar to fluorescent tubes. So the extent of the flicker will also depend on the persistence of the phosphor as well as the drive circuit. There is a gap of between 4-5 ms between the peak of the AC cycle and the next zero crossing. Will the phosphor lose all light emission during that interval? I do not know.

The persistence of the LED phosphor is negligible, zero.

Offline tronde

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2017, 05:34:26 pm »
Aren't LEDs PWMd so they can be overdriven?

They use PWM because the colour of any LED will change with the current. When you use PWM and a constant current source, you will remain the colour even when the light is dimmed.

Offline tronde

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2017, 05:45:28 pm »
Another secret:

https://de.paulmann.com/leuchtmittel/halogenlampen/halogen-sockelset-230-v-33-watt-e14-klar/54920

Ceramic adapter socket from E14 or E27 to G9 halogen and a suitable cover glass.
Cheap halogen from China. No problem with safety (exploding) when using cover glass. If you dim them slightly, they last a long time.

The opaque cover glass from Paulman is covered on the inside with a very fine white powder that gives excellent light ditribution.

That's another interesting way round the upcoming changes to the bulb availability situation. Thanks!
Some people say halogen lights, make the best Electronics Lab lights.

Because I've got advanced warning, about this upcoming law change, so around about 2018, Halogen bulbs (presumably bigger, mains ones), will be outlawed in the EU. I can stock up on them.

The Paulman stuff is very good as I can see it. I managed to get them before they stopped selling them here. I guess it was because of low volume, but since you are in the EU they should be easy to get.

As of today, halogen will be banned from 01.09.2018. Some types are already banned, but not G9. Initially they should have been banned in 2016.

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2017, 06:49:32 pm »
Aren't LEDs PWMd so they can be overdriven?

They use PWM because the colour of any LED will change with the current.

I was thinking about other applications (for instance, car position lights) where the LEDs aren't typically providing a broad spectrum. Also where they are not illuminating something but are viewed directly. 'Traditional' usage, if you like.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2017, 02:46:00 pm »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf