Author Topic: Caterpillar S60 smartphone announced with IR camera built-in  (Read 3556 times)

Offline kraphtTopic starter

• Contributor
Caterpillar S60 smartphone announced with IR camera built-in
« on: February 19, 2016, 08:11:42 pm »
http://www.catphones.com/en-gb/news/press-releases/cat-s60-announced-as-worlds-first-smartphone-with-integrated-thermal-camera

Cat S60 key features:

Strengthened Die Cast Frame
Drop proof to 1.8m, MIL Spec 810G
Super bright display (typical 540 nits), Gorilla Glass 4
4.7” HD capacitive multi-touch with auto wet finger & glove support
Optimised battery performance (3800mAh)
High quality audio experience (>105dB)
Underwater 13MP main camera with dual flash, 5MP front-facing camera
4G LTE
Snapdragon 617 octa-core processor
32GB ROM, 3GB RAM
Android™ Marshmallow
Dedicated FLIR thermal camera app with MSX technology; still image, panorama, and video capture; changeable heat palettes; temperature spot meter; and min, max, and average temperature data

All for $599 US! Actually, I'm quite excited about this. Although the Leptop IR camera is quite low-resolution, and the phone performance is a little underwhelming for the price, I can recall 1-2 occasions in the past year where it would've been helpful for me to have a thermal camera in order to troubleshoot something. Also, I like the integrated rugged case and large battery, things which I'd have to purchase on the aftermarket anyway.

EDIT:
whoops someone delete this I didn't realize this was in the thermal imaging board

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
Re: Caterpillar S60 smartphone announced with IR camera built-in
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 08:24:39 pm »
I'm just waiting for Samsung to build one of these into their feature phones. My S4 has a barometric pressure sensor (as well as a gyro, magnetometer, accelerometer, ambient temperature sensor, four microphones, magnetic field sensor, light (& colour) sensor and proximity sensor) so it's not unusual for Samsung to build in tons of sensors you'll hardly ever use.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 08:35:09 pm »
But doesn't appear to be dual -SIM - a pretty silly omission on a large phone where they're unlikely to be pushed for space.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline XOIIO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 08:45:20 pm »
Damn, that thing looks pretty sexy too. Hopefully it has a removable battery and SD card slot.

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 09:30:26 pm »
Thanks Mike, didn't think of that, but come to mention it, if you are going to use this phone for search and rescue it would have to be dual sim. Still, I like the specs I want one.

How many of us have reworked PCBs with hot air, you never know how hot the parts are that you are trying to salvage or replace. This will help. It's intelligent design by Caterpillar, you won't see this from the likes of Apple, Google or Dyson.

Offline Tinkerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 11:38:34 pm »
Now this is the kind of smart phone I would buy. One that doesnt break when you accidently drop it a foot and can survive. I currently dont even own a smart phone. I still have my flip phone which is probably 9 years old now but does what I need, make calls and does text.

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 08:04:52 pm »
Rory Cellan-Jones gets his hands on an S60, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35603144

Offline AlxDroidDev

• Frequent Contributor
    • Arduino Web Brasil
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 08:21:20 pm »
Damn, that thing looks pretty sexy too. Hopefully it has a removable battery and SD card slot.

That, for me, would seal the deal!
"The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from." (Andrew S. Tanenbaum)

Offline XOIIO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 11:19:35 pm »

That, for me, would seal the deal!

Yeah, I thought my phone was dying out, turned out to be a shit cable, but all the new ones are going to non removable memory and storage which is a real disappointment, my ideal phone would have those features, as well as inductive charging, and usb-otg with file management so I could slap in a 64 gig sd card and use it to lug files around with me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf