Author Topic: RFID tags for ski resorts, technical information needed  (Read 2134 times)

Offline Ed.KloonkTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
RFID tags for ski resorts, technical information needed
« on: August 05, 2012, 12:50:22 am »
Hi.

In my world-wide quest to find the tree that killed Sonny Bono, I have been visiting many modern ski resorts (and a few not so modern!). Many of these places are now utilising a RFID tag lift ticket system. Some fields just have a simple lift gate entry allowance mechanism, whilst some other resorts offer a feature rich set of options for use during apres times.

For example, some cards allow the user to tally their mountain coverage on any day, provide the user a way to recharge the lift ticket online without needing to visit the ticket office and perhaps the ultimate wank feature: to be able to brag to your mates where you've skied. Some places can allow a parent to add money to a child's card for spending at the various dining halls etc.

The double edged sword is, of course, with all of this accumulated personal information, there seems to be no interruption to the steady increase of lift ticket prices given the influx of direct marketing that is now coming my way. And of course there's the fact that the Man is watching you!

Another issue is the way the system behaves when a skier is carrying more than one card. Two cards, side by side, from different resorts(or different days) causes the scanner to get confused and gets the lift line gets blocked until an attendant sorts it out. Another problem is when you carry another card that belongs to someone else. For example your daughter might be having the afternoon off and you've collected the card for safe keeping. Then you get monsterd by the lift police for being detected with a children's pass!

A further problem is the apparent sensitivity with this stuff. If a snowboarder happens to keep the card in a pocket with loose coins, they can be seen dry-humping the turnstile gate in an attempt to get the damn card to register.

To this end, I want to compile as much technical information about this technology as I can. I have created this thread to facilitate this endeavour and invite anyone who has information or links to anything that is relevant to please contribute.

And of course you are free to express any Orwellian opinion you may have in my threads. Makes it easier for them to add you to their watch-list.  :)
iratus parum formica

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
Re: RFID tags for ski resorts, technical information needed
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 01:00:55 am »
What about keeping cards that you don't want to use in a foil pouch?

I noticed that my eToll tag (for toll roads) arrived via mail in a such a pouch, presumably to stop unwanted activations during it's delivery to me.

Offline Ed.KloonkTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 01:26:12 am »
What about keeping cards that you don't want to use in a foil pouch?

I noticed that my eToll tag (for toll roads) arrived via mail in a such a pouch, presumably to stop unwanted activations during it's delivery to me.

That's a great idea! Thank you. I remember getting my roam eTag in a yellow post-it bag from the post office. No such foil. I did have to go and activate the device though, which to me is the better solution in case the thing falls into the wrong hands before I would receive it. Had to sign for it though.

For anyone who cares: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=foil+bags

iratus parum formica

Offline slateraptor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 12:01:56 pm »
Another issue is the way the system behaves when a skier is carrying more than one card. Two cards, side by side, from different resorts(or different days) causes the scanner to get confused and gets the lift line gets blocked until an attendant sorts it out. Another problem is when you carry another card that belongs to someone else. For example your daughter might be having the afternoon off and you've collected the card for safe keeping. Then you get monsterd by the lift police for being detected with a children's pass!

Evidently, their system's anti-collision scheme is a bag of suckass.

This and this are good references with respect to current system implementations.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf