General > General Technical Chat

Running HDMI signal over ethernet twisted pair

(1/1)

Axk:
There are these cheap RJ45 -> HDMI, HDMI -> RJ45 adapters on Aliexpress like this one - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001577157733.html
Looks like they are just connecting the HDMI pairs to the twisted pairs without any smarts in them (I guess just impedance matching) - there's a teardown photo in one of the comments in the feedback.

Is there a standard for this type of thing or is it just kind of works but is not standardized?

I cannot find a standard for this, there's ethernet over HDMI, more complex adapters which actually convert it to ethernet packets, but nothing for these dumb passive connectors.

thm_w:
Attached the photos you are talking about.

I don't think there would ever be a standard for something like this, as its not HDMI compliant.

NiHaoMike:
A proper HDMI over CAT6 adapter has chips to boost the signal.

Algoma:
Such passive adapters could operate over short distances at best, Even HDMI seems to need active cables for any remarkable length (30ft+)

Any signal integrity problems would cause HDMI to renegotiate its data rate, causing intermittent video issues. Longest (active) HDMI cable I've used was was 50ft active cable to a rear classroom camera as AUX input for a Conference system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version