Author Topic: Sad Aussie50 News  (Read 53646 times)

Offline HardwareDude

Re: Sad Aussie50 News
« Reply #225 on: June 07, 2019, 11:19:07 am »
If you re-visit Aussie50’s 2018 Christmas video (Youtube video ID: Ed6MBevLaf4) he did directly mention Patreon’s intentions of pursuing political correctness. I’m not saying Patreon has taken action yet, but the writing is on the wall. Even the notion of possible oppression by such organisations is enough to send users into desperation.  Earlier in the video, he wishes everyone “Happy new years, whatever years come and whatever years don’t,” somewhat implying that at some point things would come to an end.

Just over 4 months later in his “Fun with cars, dogs and machine tools” video (ID: ZyiG6BE8Flg early April 2019) he tells viewers to “cancel your Patreon if you want to”. It sounded like he had already lost motivation and almost given up, despite saying there were plenty of future videos that could be made. His original pride and joy, a Mercedes ML270 bought secondhand in 2015 that took months of TLC to fix up, had developed major faults. He said it is “pretty much a worn out piece of junk” and he intends to do some cheap repairs then run it into the ground, retire it and strip it for parts. It demonstrates the sad state of affairs that he let things degrade into. This is all reading between the lines and making some assumptions. Note he did acquire a near new Hyundai ix35 in 2016, which may explain the loss of love for his ML270, however there has been no mention of the Hyundai in recent videos, so maybe he got rid of it?

The signs of depression were there (albeit extremely subtle), so you had to be looking very intently to even notice. Making good Youtube videos generally requires showmanship. In these instances your persona is on public display and one would be hesitant to talk about depression or internal weaknesses – after all, you are talking to the world, not sitting in a psychologist’s private consulting room.

Whether Aussie50 was able to hide the signs in everyday life as he does in his videos is speculation. In the majority of cases, suicide (or ideation thereof) is considered by the affected individual well in advance, and is not something that is undertaken spontaneously. Possibly being ‘busy’ with a new job meant there was a lack of contact with regular friends and relatives, so the signs went unnoticed by those in his inner circle. Working amongst new colleagues wouldn’t have helped because it takes months to get to know someone well before you are able to notice adverse changes in their behaviour.

In the industry I work in (which is not related to my hobbies), there is a variation of the RUOK campaign specific to my industry and is heavily advocated. Unfortunately much of the world has yet to catch up on making suicide awareness a priority. If your workplace offers suicide awareness / mental first aid training, I would highly recommend you take it up - you never know, one day you might save a life.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, ptricks, Yansi

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #226 on: June 15, 2019, 03:36:13 am »
In other news, a teenager who was raped by two men died by legal euthanasia in the Netherlands.

https://www.euronews.com/2019/06/04/noa-pothoven-raped-girl-17-dies-by-legal-euthanasia-in-the-netherlands

The 17-year-old detailed her struggles with sexual assault, depression, and anorexia in her award-winning biography "Winning or Learning".

She wrote in her book that she was first assaulted at the age of 11 and raped by two men when she was just 14-years-old, facts she hid from her parents because she was ashamed.

In her last post on Instagram, the young girl wrote that she had stopped eating and drinking and that her suffering was "unbearable."

Wow that is sad, I did not even know assisted suicide for depression was a thing.   It feels kinda wrong to me.  After going through it myself last year I can KIND of understand... but even when I was experiencing it, I didn't actually want to die, I just felt it was the only way out.  I can't say I would want to be euthanized if I had it. I would want actual proper help to make it go away.

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #227 on: June 15, 2019, 11:21:49 am »
And another one falls for it |O
She wasn't euthanized, she starved herself to death. Apparently her family was OK with it.

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #228 on: June 15, 2019, 01:37:22 pm »
He said "assisted suicide" and I think that is accurate.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #229 on: June 15, 2019, 06:33:15 pm »
And another one falls for it |O
She wasn't euthanized, she starved herself to death. Apparently her family was OK with it.

That article is confusing, it sounded like they were saying she died of euthanasia at first and not starvation, but I reread it and it sounds like it's the opposite but still not clear.    Either way the fact that euthanasia was even on the table and that the family was ok with her dying is what is sad. 

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #230 on: June 15, 2019, 09:18:52 pm »
Because they originally fell for Internet rumor that she was legally put to death and later edited parts of the article here and there when truth started to come out from the family and relevant officials.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf