Author Topic: Sample rate for digital channels on a Agilent MSOx3000  (Read 4785 times)

Offline RRobotTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Sample rate for digital channels on a Agilent MSOx3000
« on: May 26, 2012, 10:18:54 pm »
I'm trying to make up my mind whether to order a Agilent MSO 3000 series. I checked the spec sheet but cannot see any sampling information related to the 16 digital channels on the MSO. Anyone know if I can assume the sampling rate is the same as the analog channels?

How is memory divided up for the 16 channels, if say only 4 are in use, do I have 512 KB each?

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: Sample rate for digital channels on a Agilent MSOx3000
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 10:40:27 pm »
I think the granularity for digital channels, in terms of memory usage (& sample rate at lower speeds for peak/glitch detect)  is either blocks of 8 , or all 16 on or off.
Thinks like using peak detect and which permutation of analogue channels on 4-channel models also affect this. I'm sure there will be a section in the manual on this.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline RRobotTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 10:46:47 pm »
Thanks for your response Mike.

I found the sample rate section in the spec sheet under "Horizontal system digital channels", not sure how I missed it.

It appears its 1 GSa/sec per channel and 1 Mpts/channel (or 2 Mbps/channel with the 4 Mbs upgrade), which is much more than I expected, which makes me think I am missing a caveat somewhere. 

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 12:15:58 am »
No you're not. Agilent doesnt muck about with sharing a/d converters and memory between channels. They never have. Even on the relly old machines. The only exception is their top of the line machines. There you can interleave the samplers to double the sampling rate, but there is still one converter per channel.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline NeilR

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 10:45:48 am »
I'm trying to make up my mind whether to order a Agilent MSO 3000 series. I checked the spec sheet but cannot see any sampling information related to the 16 digital channels on the MSO. Anyone know if I can assume the sampling rate is the same as the analog channels?

How is memory divided up for the 16 channels, if say only 4 are in use, do I have 512 KB each?

@RRobot - One tip I have is to look in the user manual.  Sometimes the specifications given in the user manual contains more information than the datasheet.

Also I can confirm that on the 3000X, that the digital system is exactly the same on all bandwidth models up to 500MHz.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 10:57:56 am »
I wonder if my unit will get higher digital sampling rate when it gets upgraded to 1GHz?
I'm presuming not, but I haven't checked.

Dave.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 11:07:23 am »
No you're not. Agilent doesnt muck about with sharing a/d converters and memory between channels.
I think they do, certainly memory, not sure about ADC - you can see the sample rate halve when you have channels 1+2 running. No change when 1+3 are on. Enabling digital channels also reduces available sample length
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 11:18:43 am »
No you're not. Agilent doesnt muck about with sharing a/d converters and memory between channels.
I think they do, certainly memory, not sure about ADC - you can see the sample rate halve when you have channels 1+2 running. No change when 1+3 are on. Enabling digital channels also reduces available sample length

Correct. The sample rate is halved with two channels. They use a shared ASIC for both channels, two ASICs for 4 channel, hence you can use the CH1/3 trick.
I believe it's one ADC per channel (two per ADC ASIC)

I just checked, and the 1GHz model gets an increase in sample rate on the digital channels to 1.25GS/s
http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/75019-97051.pdf

Dave.

Offline NeilR

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 02:39:28 pm »
I wonder if my unit will get higher digital sampling rate when it gets upgraded to 1GHz?
I'm presuming not, but I haven't checked.

Dave.

Dave - As far as I've been told, you will get the full specifications of the 1GHz when you upgrade to it.

See page 32 of the brochure - http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5990-6619EN.pdf

Neil

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf