Author Topic: San Jose, CA places to see?  (Read 9993 times)

Offline dc101Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
San Jose, CA places to see?
« on: March 28, 2014, 11:03:13 pm »
I'm going to be out in San Jose, CA all next week for Design West and I'm looking for recommendations of cool tech stuff to do.  I plan on stopping by the Computer History Museum and Fry's and I visited the Berkeley Lab a few years ago.  I tried to get an Agilent tour lined up, but they said they weren't doing public tours until after the transition to Keysight Tech is complete.  Anyone have any good recommendations of things to do out there?  I was really hoping to find some sort of fab/manufacturing tour.

-Tim

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
Re: San Jose, CA places to see?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 11:09:07 pm »
Computer History and Frys are good choices. Another one is Halted, near Fry's Sunnyvale

http://www.halted.com/

Offline Rory

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 11:30:52 pm »
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 12:52:54 am by Rory »

Offline AG6QR

• Frequent Contributor
    • AG6QR Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 11:45:56 pm »
Weird stuff warehouse is fun, though not as much fun as it was in the '90s, I'm afraid.

Their website is moderately interesting, but the fun stuff is the stuff that they don't bother putting on the website.  Lots of old surplus equipment, former state-of-the-art, now sold for peanuts.

http://www.weirdstuff.com/

I'd also second the recommendation for Halted.

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 03:21:54 am »
I'll be there for same thing. What brings you there?
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 04:03:43 am »
there's a 'big halted' like shop in milpitas (not far away) called excess solutions.  hint: bring a flashlight with you since there is very poor overhead lighting in that warehouse.  it may be cold, too, as they leave the big garage doors open, so bring at least some kind of jacket.  (strange to have to do all that to do shopping, lol)

it may be fun (for some) to drive around the google campus.  its very close to the computer history museum on shoreline (exit on rt 101).  one google building has all the android 'models' (jelly beans, eclaires, etc; all the android project names are there as large sculptures on one of the buildings and lots of tourists stop there to have their photo taken outside on the lawn).

at the end of the road on shoreline is the amphitheater park where there is a small body of water and you can rent paddle boards and canoes and have fun feeding the ducks ;)

the drive along rt1 goes close to the pacific ocean and it can be a fun drive to start up north (just south of the city, san fran) and then drive south on rt1 toward santa cruz.  you get some ocean/beach views and then some mountain road views.

if you like indian food, we have some of the best you can find ;)  my favorite place is called 'sneha' and its a very large buffet (all you can eat) and people can usually find something there they like.  highly recommended; and not too far from frys in sunnyvale.

monterey bay aquarium is world famous and worth going to.  monterey (town) is somewhat touristy but still nice.

that's at least a few things that geeks can do in the bay area ;)

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 04:05:18 am »
also, intel has a museum that is open to the public.  look on their website for location and hours.  its worth about half an hour or an hour but probably not much more than that (its not very large but if you are nearby, its worth a look if you like to see intel history).

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 04:22:03 am »
If you know an employee at Google, definitely go visit. A heads up, the lunch is excellent.  ;D
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 04:26:26 am »
yeah, employees can bring a guest in for 'free lunch'.  the lines are long but the food is good (I was there several years ago; no idea if its still the same, but it was very much gourmet food and amazing to see that being given away for free).

a city thought: this is touristy, as well, but some people like to go to haight/ashbury area and see the old hippies (or the young fake ones, lol) hanging out.  its where the grateful dead got their start and the culture is still somewhat alive at the haight region (oddly enough, its pronounced like the word 'hate').

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 12:01:54 pm »
I'll be there for same thing. What brings you there?

Well I was trying to get out there for the Blackhat courses, but that didn't work out so I'll be taking a bunch of the free courses instead.  I signed up for several of the R&S ones and a few others, looking forward to the STM32 DSP workshop.  Should be fun!

I spent a few years in Monterey back before my electronics days so I've done the city thing a number of times and definitely agree the coastal drive is awesome, but never did any of the tech stuff.  I used to drive down to Big Sur almost every weekend, such a wonderful place.  I'm hoping eventually to make it back to the west coast some day, I'm in Raleigh NC for a few more years.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'm looking forward to checking those places out.  I have almost all day Monday to free roam, do the conference Tuesday - Thursday, one thing early Friday morning and then I'm free until my red-eye flight late that night.  I'm definitely looking forward to having some free-time to explore.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 12:49:30 pm »
A photo in front of the HP garage is compulsory.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 01:55:12 pm »
Food at linkedin is better than google.

Computer history museum
Intel museum
Nasa museum
Hiller aviation musehm

Halted
Excess solutions
Weirdstuff warehouse

Hp garage
Fairchild labs
Shockley labs
Agilent store (swag store, tshirts pens, notepads) it is in the original building. The first one they had constructed for them. See the Chateau Hertz winebottle and serial number 1 of the HP200a.

Visit Techshop.

Tesla factory tour (can only be done if you own one or are accompanied by someone who owns one , but that should be no problem... I need to check what dates . Typically on a sunday around 6pm). I will check today and post time and date it can be done.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 03:53:24 pm »
Food at linkedin is better than google.

Computer history museum
Intel museum
Nasa museum
Hiller aviation musehm

Halted
Excess solutions
Weirdstuff warehouse

Hp garage
Fairchild labs
Shockley labs
Agilent store (swag store, tshirts pens, notepads) it is in the original building. The first one they had constructed for them. See the Chateau Hertz winebottle and serial number 1 of the HP200a.

Visit Techshop.

Tesla factory tour (can only be done if you own one or are accompanied by someone who owns one , but that should be no problem... I need to check what dates . Typically on a sunday around 6pm). I will check today and post time and date it can be done.

I'm going to need to take some vacation while I'm out there.  That stuff sounds awesome!  I would definitely love to check out the Tesla factory!

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 05:56:13 pm »
forgot about techshop.  yes, definitely add that to your list.  there's one that is easy to get to (easy parking) in san carlos, just south of 'the city' (the city == san fran).  there's another bigger one in san jose and that has a very expensive 5 axis (?) cnc cutter.  they had to run special power cables into the building just to power it and it took months of planning, I'm told.  they charge access on that machine by the minute, I believe.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 06:42:52 pm »
I live in the bay area but this thread has stuff new to me. Thanks.

Since we branches out of tech stuff, here are two more recommendations:

Restaurant: Kabul in Sunnyvale.

Recreation: bike over the golden gate bridge. There are several companies in San Francisco like Blazing Saddles that will equip you with a bike, helmet, map, and ferry ticket. You ride along the coast to Sausalito or Tiburon, crossing the golden gate bridge, and returning on a ferry across the San Francisco bay. It's a very popular ride.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2014, 07:04:21 pm »
kabul is in san carlos and also sunnyvale.  REALLY good food!  try the chicken and lamb kabobs, never found anyone who didn't fall in love with those ;)

if going up near san carlos, you can hit kabul and also the techshop since they are not too far apart.

also, jameco electronics is just walking distance away from techshop in san carlos; if you are here on a weekday, you can see their will call area (somewhat small but has some close-out deals there) and if you needed a fast part, you can phone it in and just pick it up at the front counter.  jameco used to be 'james electronics' about 30 or 40 yrs ago and they are still around today.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2014, 11:52:42 pm »
Another interesting place is http://www.digitalguru.com/ , a technical bookstore near Fry's Electronics Sunnyvale.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2014, 12:26:33 am »
stanford university can also be a thing to see.  they have a huge dish 'in the back':

and palm drive is quite nice:

you can take the elevator to the top of the tower (for a fee, sigh) and see the local area very nicely.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2014, 01:01:11 am »
stanford university can also be a thing to see.  they have a huge dish 'in the back':

Very cool!  I love me some big dishes.  Do you happen to know what they use that dish for?  I'm assuming it's some sort of radio telescope?  I used to have all of my computers running SETI@HOME but these days with two kids and a wife I turn them off to lower our electricity bill.  :-\  I guess that officially makes me a grown-up.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2014, 01:16:02 am »
yes, radio telescope.  I don't know anything more than that.  iirc, that photo was taken along page mill road but its easily findable if you google it.

Offline uoficowboy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2014, 02:27:03 am »
Weird stuff warehouse is fun, though not as much fun as it was in the '90s, I'm afraid.

Their website is moderately interesting, but the fun stuff is the stuff that they don't bother putting on the website.  Lots of old surplus equipment, former state-of-the-art, now sold for peanuts.

http://www.weirdstuff.com/

I'd also second the recommendation for Halted.
I stopped by weird stuff today - I was completely underwhelmed by their selection. Tons of old parts from computers, and a random selection of other stuff. Very little test equipment. Some components, but not a lot.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2014, 02:37:02 am »
weirdstuff used to be across the street from frys.  so you'd park once, hit one store and then hit the other.  that stopped in the mid 90's, I think ;(

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2014, 02:59:59 am »
And then we have the Mystery Spot ...

http://www.mysteryspot.com/gallery/

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2014, 03:13:47 am »
I stopped by weird stuff today - I was completely underwhelmed by their selection. Tons of old parts from computers, and a random selection of other stuff. Very little test equipment. Some components, but not a lot.

Is it possible that you missed the back room?

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2014, 03:43:15 am »

I visited as well. I assume the back room is behind all the computers and parts, and where the server cabinets are?
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2014, 03:50:40 am »
I visited as well. I assume the back room is behind all the computers and parts, and where the server cabinets are?

Well, it's behind the front room :)

It's the bottom photo on this page:  http://www.weirdstuff.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=sunnyvalestore

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2014, 03:58:12 am »
forgot about techshop.  yes, definitely add that to your list.  there's one that is easy to get to (easy parking) in san carlos, just south of 'the city' (the city == san fran).  there's another bigger one in san jose and that has a very expensive 5 axis (?) cnc cutter.  they had to run special power cables into the building just to power it and it took months of planning, I'm told.  they charge access on that machine by the minute, I believe.
The power hog is the flowjet. You pay usage by the minute and that thing sucks power.
I am certified on that machine. Have used it multiple times. When it starts cutting you hear it throughout the entire building. 57000 psi of pressure... In a beam merely a millimeter thick.

The tormach 5 axis mill doesn't need special power.

Tough luck on the tesla tour.. Canceled until further notice... But i'm still working some avenue..

Go visit the tesla store in santana row. They do have a 'skate' (car without clothes, basically 4 wheels, battery , motor and inverter.)
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2014, 04:22:04 am »

It's the bottom photo on this page:  http://www.weirdstuff.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=sunnyvalestore
Been there done that. Not much, just a couple HP 3488 switch systems and a old Tek mainframe.

Offline uoficowboy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2014, 09:23:53 pm »

Yep - there was very little worthwhile in the back room.

I just moved to the area - are there other good surplus places to go to? Or auctions I should be aware of?

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2014, 09:32:24 pm »
Yep - there was very little worthwhile in the back room.

I just moved to the area - are there other good surplus places to go to? Or auctions I should be aware of?

Maybe Vincent will tell you about his secret surplus sources.

Flea market next month: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/going-to-de-anza-flea-market-on-sat

DoveBid does most of the live auctions:  http://www.go-dove.com/

There's also this place, haven't been there in ages: http://www.auctionbdi.com/index.cfm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2014, 01:31:19 pm »
Wellll...... off to a rocky start.  Almost missed my flight, left my laptop at security (hopefully it's still there), and my ipad fell between two seats on the plane and has somehow teleported to aviation purgatory, as its missing in action so far.  All this, and I'm only two hours into my flight.  I'm waiting for cell phone battery to burst into flames any minute now.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2014, 04:07:46 pm »
Wellll...... off to a rocky start.  Almost missed my flight, left my laptop at security (hopefully it's still there), and my ipad fell between two seats on the plane and has somehow teleported to aviation purgatory, as its missing in action so far.  All this, and I'm only two hours into my flight.  I'm waiting for cell phone battery to burst into flames any minute now.

Let me guess, you are flying Malaysia Airlines.

Offline Jarrod Roberson

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2014, 11:02:00 pm »
"The Counter Burger", they have veggie stuff on the menu as well! Lucky to have one down from my office now!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf