Author Topic: Save anything from the dump recently?  (Read 15472 times)

Offline t_rynerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Save anything from the dump recently?
« on: May 22, 2017, 01:09:19 am »
Recently saved these TV boards from the dump. I love old CRT Boards so many reusable components inside, and the best part- Free!  ;D
Here's the shared file- https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0T3gelonW2VUEZIS1ZKLUNzVms
 (I only have a school computer, no editing software or file compression) 

The following users thanked this post: jonovid, Electro Detective

Offline PointyOintment

• Frequent Contributor
  • ↑ I scanned my face
Re: Save anything from the dump recently?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 01:20:05 am »
A bunch of hard drive boards from the electronics recycling bin at my makerspace. They have good power MOSFETs on them, usually 3 dual ones to drive the motor, and occasionally some other ones for unknown purposes. I'm planning to use one for an LED stroboscope, and maybe I'll use some to drive some brushless motors again at some point (probably paralleled for bigger motors than the hard drives had, since I have lots of identical ones).
I refuse to use AD's LTspice or any other "free" software whose license agreement prohibits benchmarking it (which implies it's really bad) or publicly disclosing the existence of the agreement. Fortunately, I haven't agreed to that one, and those terms are public already.

Offline mmagin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 01:45:30 am »
I got some cute little (passive) speakers made by Boston Acoustics, about 3x4 inches in size in the recycling pile at work.  Should be good for random test bench use where I need a 8 ohm speaker and maybe for building a signal tracer.

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 02:49:36 am »
another dumped 2D  printer in the street  :=\
same set of electronics,  however after teardown, some components do get reused.
inductors ,DC motors , plastic gears esc..   :-+
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline PointyOintment

• Frequent Contributor
  • ↑ I scanned my face
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 06:06:07 am »
Those current probes sure use a lot of current themselves. And did I read that right—you have an 800 kilowatt semiconductor tester!?
I refuse to use AD's LTspice or any other "free" software whose license agreement prohibits benchmarking it (which implies it's really bad) or publicly disclosing the existence of the agreement. Fortunately, I haven't agreed to that one, and those terms are public already.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 06:46:13 am »
Mobility scooter which is going to be repurposed as a kart for my boy, mostly functional, dead batteries, missing most of the electronics and the bodywork has been vandalised but the wheels, chassis, motor and transaxle are all good.

(Scrapped by the owner because a local mobility shop wanted more than a new scooter cost to replace the speed controller and batteries, I suspect there's a huge scam going on)

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 07:00:18 am »
Mobility scooter which is going to be repurposed as a kart for my boy, mostly functional, dead batteries, missing most of the electronics and the bodywork has been vandalised but the wheels, chassis, motor and transaxle are all good.

(Scrapped by the owner because a local mobility shop wanted more than a new scooter cost to replace the speed controller and batteries, I suspect there's a huge scam going on)

Well that does sound an awful lot like the cost of repair on most consumer electronics like TVs. Repair costs so much that it makes more sense to just buy a new one and throw the old one in the dumpster. But hey sometimes there loss is our gain.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 09:12:52 am »

Well that does sound an awful lot like the cost of repair on most consumer electronics like TVs. Repair costs so much that it makes more sense to just buy a new one and throw the old one in the dumpster. But hey sometimes there loss is our gain.

They're not a cheap consumer item though, they're really expensive to buy and from the stories I've heard from scooter users, they tend to be charged an awful lot of money for maintenance and repairs.

What's worse in this case, I *think* the shop removed and kept the missing electronics making repair by anyone else so much more expensive.

Hopefully a nice summer project for my boy and I, if  the heavens align my daughter may even get interested.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 11:15:03 am »
A bunch of reel to reel audio mag-tapes. Two cardboard boxes of them, found in a street toss. Someone had apparently stored them in a garage or something, then discovered they were colonized by little black ants. Sprayed the ants, then threw out the boxes of tape complete with dead ants.
It turned out the ants were only in a few of the reel cases, and were easy to clean out with compressed air and a brush. Most of the reels were in tightly sealed inner containers, with no ants at all.

I've wanted some 1/4" tape reels for a while, as I have a HP 3964A instrumentation tape recorder that uses these. Actually two units, one a bit damaged, the other OK. Purely a retro-tech restoration project for my museum.

I would like to get a nice high-end consumer reel to reel audio tape deck though. One of those things that were out of my reach as a kid/teenager, when they were fashionable.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 03:12:28 am »
Speaking of saving things from the dump, if you ever have an opportunity to rescue a really large plasma screen TV, here's some advice:

DO NOT TAKE IT!

Earlier this year I was given a very large one. Panasonic TH-50PH11AK, a bit over 1.2m diagonal screen. Hugely heavy.
It was beyond repair (missing input cards) but did contain a large amount of boards with lots of power components, which was what I took it for. Also curiosity; I hadn't dissected a plasma screen before. Stripped it down, ( http://everist.org/NobLog/20170224_summer_vacuum_odyssey.htm#cull ) which left the problem of disposing of the actual screen.

With LCD screens you can just smash the glass and put in the non-recycling roley bin. I'd had it in mind to do the same with this plasma screen. Big mistake.

The construction is (from the front):
 * Sheet of protective glass. Which has a transparent conductive layer to prevent EMI emissions from the HV, HF plasma scanning lines.
 * Gap, about 1cm.
 * Front glass of the plasma screen.
 * Very small gap, under vacuum.
 * Back glass of the plasma screen, with raised ridges to maintain the gap, and the color phosphors.
 * Thin, tough double sided tape, adhering the glass to...
 * The aluminum backing plate, with reinforcing bars and mounting posts for all the electronics.

So I had the front protective glass and the separate plasma assembly lying around for a few months, trying to figure out how to break them down. See the problem?

The glass glued to the aluminum plate, makes a very difficult thing to cut up. Making it worse, the phosphors in CRTs are extremely poisonous. Obscure, secret compounds of rare earth elements, but google 'ccfl cut injuries'. For eg here: http://www.snopes.com/photos/medical/cfl.asp   Note that Snopes and most other net articles get this *completely* wrong. They focus on the small amount of mercury in the CCFL bulb (not the cause of that necrotic disaster) but totally ignore the phosphors coated on the inside of the glass. Really, really stupid & ignorant omission. Yay Snopes /s.

Anyway, not a good idea to get those powders in even a tiny cut. Or breathe them. Or leave bits of broken glass + phosphor lying on the ground, for pets to cut themselves on.

First the front protective sheet. Should be easy to break, right?
No. It turns out to be glass laminated front and back with something like kevlar. A hammer merely dents it. To cut it, takes a row of closely spaced dents then a large knife to saw through the plastic sheets and the powdered glass inside. Ugh. Pic1 was before I cut it up, after finding the merely folded piece was still too big to fit in the bin.

Then the metal-glass laminate. I did all the glass-breaking of this under a large plastic bag, to stop glass chips flying all around. The front glass broke off easily, and was binned. That leaves the poisonous, solidly glued-on back sheet. It turns out to be extremely difficult to separate from the metal backing, even in small pieces. That double sided tape is *tough*. Trying to chisel it off, wearing full face mask, heavy gloves, and working with the chisel under a plastic sheet, it obviously wasn't going to be possible to strip the entire thing.

But I couldn't just jigsaw the glass-plus-metal sheet, it would wreck the blade immediately. And I can't angle-grind it, because that will make and spread dust with the phosphor.
The best solution I could think of was to chisel off the glass in minimal lines, then jig-saw the aluminum alone along the center of those lines after clearing the glass fragments. Which worked.

Then the whole area got a very careful sweeping for glass fragments that had escaped the plastic sheeting, followed by obsessive vacuuming. And cleaning all the crap off the jigsaw and other tools.

I won't be making that mistake again.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 09:46:34 am by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 03:21:55 am »
I don't think the phosphors are all that toxic. Older B&W tubes used a phosphor that contains cadmium and that is rather toxic, that phosphor was phased out for that reason.

I rescued a 50" Toshiba LED LCD the other day, it mostly works but there's a dark band along the bottom. I suspect it has a bad LED like the other two big LCDs I have had.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 04:21:42 am »
The phosphors are anticoagulants, so they have an effect similar to rat poison. Being adhered to potential sharp glass fragments makes them especially hazardous if you were to cut yourself.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 04:26:45 am »
I would like to get a nice high-end consumer reel to reel audio tape deck though. One of those things that were out of my reach as a kid/teenager, when they were fashionable.

I have a friend that also has some 1/4" reel to reel audio tapes and claims one of them is actually historically significant. He says it was made using a Uhear recorder which has a adjustable speed setting. Have you heard of this brand or know where I can find one? If the Uhear is not available, can you recommended another adjustable speed player? Thank you.

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 04:28:56 am »
A bunch of reel to reel audio mag-tapes. Two cardboard boxes of them, found in a street toss. Someone had apparently stored them in a garage or something, then discovered they were colonized by little black ants. Sprayed the ants, then threw out the boxes of tape complete with dead ants.
It turned out the ants were only in a few of the reel cases, and were easy to clean out with compressed air and a brush. Most of the reels were in tightly sealed inner containers, with no ants at all.

I've wanted some 1/4" tape reels for a while, as I have a HP 3964A instrumentation tape recorder that uses these. Actually two units, one a bit damaged, the other OK. Purely a retro-tech restoration project for my museum.

Are those audio tapes or data tapes?  I don't know much about tapes, but I thought that they were different.  Specifically, audio tapes are optimized for recording varying levels (i.e. analog) while data tapes are digital.  Also, some old tapes degrade and the oxide starts to flake off the base.  Google the specific tape brands that you've got to find out if your tapes fall in that category.  You don't want to use them in your HP drive if they're going to pollute it with a cloud of oxide.

Ed

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 05:06:15 am »
I have a friend that also has some 1/4" reel to reel audio tapes and claims one of them is actually historically significant. He says it was made using a Uhear recorder which has a adjustable speed setting. Have you heard of this brand or know where I can find one? If the Uhear is not available, can you recommended another adjustable speed player? Thank you.
That's Uher: it is a German brand. The only reason I can think of that's historically significant is that it was the brand of recorder used by President Nixon to erase the most incriminating details from his secret tapes.
Multiple speed settings were a common feature on 1/4" decks, under the theory that users would record different types of material and use the higher speeds for higher quality music. Frequency response gets better with higher tape speeds, with 15 and 30 IPS (inches/sec) being used for master recordings, and lower speeds for home copies and radio programs. Fine speed control was also common, to match the actual recorded speed so that music sounds properly tuned.

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2017, 05:15:20 am »

I know exactly how you feel.

When I was a lad, I collected several leaflets of the various model of Sony tape recorders available at the time.  I remember they were a single sheet about A6 in size and predominantly orange in colour.  I think there were a couple of dozen models all up.  Never had the funds to buy one.

Eventually I picked up an old AKAI with solenoid control and 10" reel capacity.  One channel didn't work .... and I have yet to get it on my workbench to fix it up!

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2017, 05:33:42 am »
Are those audio tapes or data tapes?  I don't know much about tapes, but I thought that they were different.  Specifically, audio tapes are optimized for recording varying levels (i.e. analog) while data tapes are digital.  Also, some old tapes degrade and the oxide starts to flake off the base.  Google the specific tape brands that you've got to find out if your tapes fall in that category.  You don't want to use them in your HP drive if they're going to pollute it with a cloud of oxide.

Magnetic tape has been used for computer data storage since the early 1950s to the present, so it has many more forms than audio tape, mostly obsolete apart from some lo-fi music studios. The open-reel data tapes were an ISO standard and looked largely the same for decades, with a plastic band that snaps into place around the perimeter to keep the tape from falling out. They are all 1/2 inch width, but could be recorded in many formats not compatible with all drives.

Reel-to-reel audio tapes look totally different and are mostly 1/4 inch in width. Some wider machines only for studio use were 1" or 2" with dozens of tracks; the normal consumer recorders were always 1/4" and quarter-track (two heads for stereo, with space for another two tracks when the tape is flipped). The reels lack the plastic locking hub ring that is used on data reels for write protection, and are either plastic or metal with radial cutouts—a feature never seen on data reels.

Offline Sonny_Jim

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2017, 05:44:05 am »
Found a working Gameboy pocket just sat out for hard rubbish.  Don't mind if I do!

Offline ed_reardon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2017, 06:47:51 am »
Not quite the dump, but a very good condition 'Beats Pill v2.0' Bluetooth speaker (replaced snapped-off  micro-USB connector) - came in a mint retail box too with an unsued charger and unopened instruction manual.

A Samsung LCD TV with a failed T-CON board that's about to yield lots of lovely odds and ends for the junk box.

A inoperative TI-82 graphical calculator,  looks like it's had a major battery leak but I'll open it up and see what I can do.   Zilog Z80 anybody?

Cheers,
Ed

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2017, 11:11:11 am »
Three PCBs from a scrap unit sat outside a factory. All of the ICs were in sockets and the collection included sixty (60) dual opto couplers and some useful 60V 1.5A high side switches with CMOS inputs. I might salvage the turned pin sockets as well but unsoldering them will be a boring job
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2017, 01:47:45 pm »
I sometimes save boards that have useful components on them. But don't desolder anything, just put it in a big box till you need a particular part it then desolder.

Offline FireFlower

• Regular Contributor
  • Wish had a cabin in Lappland
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2017, 03:30:41 pm »
Lets raise the bar a bit...

One is almost fully intact, just a bit spare parts shopping and one working Mantis and other one might become fully working with a bit spare parts bought.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2017, 06:15:31 pm »
Damn, fireflower.  I couldn't get that kind of luck even if I gave the luck fairy all the money I have.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: R005T3r, Electro Detective

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2017, 09:43:36 am »
I rescued a 50" Toshiba LED LCD the other day, it mostly works but there's a dark band along the bottom. I suspect it has a bad LED like the other two big LCDs I have had.

Large screen LCDs mostly use a lot of very thin glass fluorescent tubes in parallel behind the diffuser sheets. Your dark band is probably one of them dead or broken. They are clip-in, if you can find one the same size... Good luck getting the thing apart to reach them, keeping the multi-layer diffuser sheets in the right order and totally dust-free, then all back together.
Having pulled a few large LCDs apart, I have a length of fat PVC pipe full of those tubes. Not sure what I might ever use them for.

Are those audio tapes or data tapes?
They are 1/4" audio tapes. All with band/song lists. Would be interesting to play some of them, to see if the quality has degraded or not.
The HP instrumentation tape recorder uses analog mode, recording 4 tracks of FM-encoded analog channels.
I also have a couple of HP 800BPI data tape units, but getting them going would require some kind of software controller, since they are dumb minicomputer peripherals.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 09:55:44 am by TerraHertz »

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2017, 10:23:27 am »
Dumpsters here are full of builders waste covered in rained on plaster dust,
sticky soft drink and stinking suss take out food, rooted printers and broken office crap.  And that's the good stuff  :o

LUCKY DAY if a passer by can score a clean piece of off-cut wood or ripped out electrical cabling with flexible sheathing still attached

Cheapskate office refurbs and night time dumpster vultures here   :--  what's this world coming to?  :-//

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf