Author Topic: SciFi movies and pathetic misconceptions of tech failing for the story line.  (Read 18818 times)

Online BrianHGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: SciFi movies and pathetic misconceptions of tech failing for the story line.
« Reply #200 on: February 11, 2024, 05:46:05 am »
Arrrgggg, again.

I just started watching a TV series called 'Revolution' from 2012.
OK, I give them the 'magic effect' of no electricity anywhere, even from batteries.  100% fair.

But, the claim of they cant pump water or plow their fields.
They show candles still work.
Any old hand-cranked diesel tractor engines (many farmers still have them even if they are not in use today) with no electronics whatsoever should burn diesel as well and run perfectly fine.
And, why cant they still not use old fashioned wind mills for pumping water, let alone old fashioned diesel engines to do the same job.

Has all scientific knowledge and it's use become taboo?

I bet some old WW2 tanks with diesel engines and a hand cranked inertia-starter should also still work fine.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 05:47:53 am by BrianHG »

Offline Andy Chee

• Frequent Contributor
Re: SciFi movies and pathetic misconceptions of tech failing for the story line.
« Reply #201 on: February 11, 2024, 05:59:36 am »
Has all scientific knowledge and it's use become taboo?
Published scientific knowledge online can potentially be lost in a digital apocalypse.  Printed books in libraries can also be burnt and destroy much scientific knowledge.

Today's generation prefers to "look things up on Google" rather than committing knowledge to their brains (well they might commit useless knowledge, like who Taylor Swift's latest boyfriend is).

I don't know what the premise of 'Revolution' is, but I can easily imagine a human society where established scientists are regarded as heretics and are executed.  Such a society then has to re-learn science from scratch.

Offline 5U4GB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #202 on: February 11, 2024, 12:22:00 pm »
I can easily imagine a human society where established scientists are regarded as heretics and are executed.

If you're a scientist working in the field environmental science, in particular as it applies to climate change, or vaccines, or responding to pandemics, we're already not too far from that now...

The following users thanked this post: BrianHG

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #203 on: February 11, 2024, 08:15:46 pm »
get out of my cash flow you ******* hippy!!

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #204 on: February 11, 2024, 09:29:33 pm »
Do you think as Homer said in the Iliad, that "Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed." ?

Offline Andy Chee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #205 on: February 12, 2024, 04:41:10 am »
Many people have panned the movie 'Interstellar' (2014) starring Matthew McConaughey.

In the opening scenes, the child aged "Murph" is disciplined by the school principal for perpetuating the myth that humans really landed on the moon.

I can easily imagine the Apollo moon landings becoming a myth!  The internet has enabled conspiracy theorists to give equal voice to genuine scientists.  So it shouldn't be surprising that the large human population untrained in science literacy, might begin leaning towards conspiracy.  Natural selection does the rest.

Offline 5U4GB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #206 on: February 12, 2024, 09:02:53 am »
The internet has enabled conspiracy theorists to give equal voice to genuine scientists.  So it shouldn't be surprising that the large human population untrained in science literacy, might begin leaning towards conspiracy.

Many people prefer simple falsehoods to complex truths, unfortunately.  And a conspiracy theory can give you answers to everything, unlike science.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf