Poll

For personal projects, do you prefer to use the $20/pcs NOS you already have, or order and wait for whatever 20c/pcs might be used instead?

prefer to order new components, new parts are better
1 (7.7%)
prefer to use the expensive NOS, vintage parts are cool
4 (30.8%)
prefer to order new components, sell expensive vintage
3 (23.1%)
prefer to use the NOS, they don't make them like they used to
3 (23.1%)
who cares about vintage or NOS parts
2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Sell or use the one-offs vintage components?  (Read 916 times)

Offline RoGeorgeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Sell or use the one-offs vintage components?
« on: March 22, 2023, 01:17:35 pm »
For personal projects, would you rather use a $20/pcs NOS component you already have sitting in the scrap boxes, or order whatever 20c/pcs might be used instead, then wait for delivery?  Maybe sell the few $20 a pop NOS?  :-//

Asking because it feels like a waste to use a $30 part from decades ago in a random project, when a nowadays part can replace that NOS while being 100 times cheaper, new, and with better specs.

For example, I was needing a few 7 segment digits.  Found some NOS miniature 4 digit 7 segments magnified in the scrap box, DL-340M, looking like this https://duckduckgo.com/?q=dl340m+led+display&iax=images&ia=images.  While searching for a datasheet, noticed that they cost about $30 on ebay?!? ???

I don't have an ebay account, and probably won't take the effort to sell 1pcs anyway, but now I know it costs a lot, so it feels like a waste to use those 7 segments in some random project.  And I have no "epic" project for a very small 4 digits 7 segments from the '80s display.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: timenutgoblin

Online globoy

• Regular Contributor
Re: Sell or use the one-offs vintage components?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 03:43:16 pm »
If you're not going to sell them, then you might ask yourself what the people who will deal with your estate will do with them when you die.  Probably these parts will end up in the trash.  So if you never will sell them, then use them up!  Give them a life outside your storage bins.  At least you can appreciate them every time you use the gadget.

The following users thanked this post: tom66, thm_w, exe, RoGeorge, Kim Christensen

Offline simba15

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 05:45:07 pm »
I would use them, esp if you wont sell them.

Make a nice hosing and make it a conversation piece.

The following users thanked this post: RoGeorge

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 06:52:45 pm »
When I score NOS parts, it isn't to flip them or look at them, it's to use them. The current project I'm building uses NOS transistors (I do prefer metal cans), reclaimed parts (some things are just too expensive to buy), and cheap ebay stuff...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline RoGeorgeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2023, 09:02:19 am »
The plan was to use that little 7 segments display to make a minutes timer, so to measure the capacity of 5V USB powerbanks.  A rarely used timer is not worthy enough for a $30 display.

Had to come up with something else as a timer, here's the substitute for the $30 display:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/verylazylogger-(measure-usb-powerbank-capacity)/

Measures time very well. ;D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 11:11:42 am by RoGeorge »

Offline Infraviolet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2023, 08:23:29 pm »
If I had an expensive part lying round versus cheap alternatives I could buy:
1. If the expensive part had higher performance than the cheap ones I'd save it or situations where that performance increase would count and buy the cheap ones. If this is a matter of visually appealing older parts then that would mean saving the old part for use in a project whether it would be visible, something with a clear casing or such nd not using it up to be buried deep inside something.
2. If I was making something I might make several copies of I'd buy the cheap ones, rather than base any designs around something I couldn't get more of.
3. If the expensive part didn't offer anything the cheaper one couldn't do, and I wasn't going to make several of the things it was going in I would go ahead and use it then rather than buy the cheap parts.

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 09:18:23 pm »
I used to keep expensive/rare parts for a "special case", but those cases never happened... So, I decided to use my stock and enjoy it.

Offline retiredfeline

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2023, 12:13:31 am »
If you are not going to sell them anyway then the current price is irrelevant. You might as well use them and then brag to viewers about how much they would cost as NOS.  :)

Offline Wallace Gasiewicz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2023, 02:16:47 pm »
Perhaps offer them to repair/restorer persons at a reasonable price

If you know what they were used in you could offer them on the appropriate forum.

For example some HP parts are offered on the groups.io HP/Agilent group

Especially with some of the displays, most folks would prefer to use original parts to preserve the "look"

Offline Haenk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2023, 03:11:40 pm »
The listed price is something to consider, but being offered at a certain price does not mean a) it's a fair price and b) there is a regular demand aka purchaser.
I commonly find some obscure parts which list for insane prices on ebay - but are probably never sold, at any price.
Some spare vintage display might find a new (old) home though...

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2023, 06:31:46 pm »
I think the operative question is can you buy new?  As an example, look at the price and availability of air variables.  Personally I'm indifferent to age.  Functionality is the deciding factor.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf