Poll

Should there be a separate section for each blog?

Yes
23 (46.9%)
No
9 (18.4%)
Meh, I'm not fussed either way
17 (34.7%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: Separate Forum Section For Each Blog?  (Read 17311 times)

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
Re: Separate Forum Section For Each Blog?
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2015, 04:35:52 am »
I voted no. I think that kind of expansion would dilute your brand and the community here. Sometimes bigger is not better.  Of course from a revenue generating standpoint it might make sense for you but not for the current forum members IMHO.

Links to other youtube channels or forums? Yeah sure. But I just don't see the advantage of merging them here. (except as a financial move which is your prerogative of course!)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2015, 05:29:51 am »
I voted no. I think that kind of expansion would dilute your brand and the community here. Sometimes bigger is not better.  Of course from a revenue generating standpoint it might make sense for you but not for the current forum members IMHO.

What about the existing bloggers who post their videos here and use it for feedback?
It's always been part of the forum.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2015, 05:33:31 am »
What about the existing bloggers who post their videos here and use it for feedback? It's always been part of the forum.
It is great! But this only generates one message per video and discussion stays related to the video. In case of a separate section, all of AvE viewers will use the forum for generic questions, not related to a specific video. And in case of AvE, most of it will not be electronics-related.
Alex

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2015, 05:59:45 am »
I am torn. On one hand this will make a mess of the forums, dilute the focus, divide contributions as we won't know who the contributions will benefit, and could cause you to lose control of things.

On the other hand it could bring more contributors with different expertise, more traffic, and could turn your enterprise into a wider ranging multiple discipline engineering forum and hub. It could even turn your enterprise into a hosting business for these kinds of forums. This could be a very good move for you Dave. But as many well intended expansion have blown up and killed the original successful enterprise, this could also be the undoing of EEVBlog.

It is not a decision to be taken lightly. You seem to be doing so well it seems a big risk. Perhaps the better idea is to assist them in getting setup and help support them in starting out. That means more work for you and for less return. IMHO, in the end, do not roll in other channels into sub forums. It would be better to help them get on their feet and perhaps gain some reciprocal referrals.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2015, 06:22:59 am »
What about the existing bloggers who post their videos here and use it for feedback? It's always been part of the forum.
It is great! But this only generates one message per video and discussion stays related to the video. In case of a separate section, all of AvE viewers will use the forum for generic questions, not related to a specific video. And in case of AvE, most of it will not be electronics-related.

Yes. Well said. I agree on all counts.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2015, 06:28:29 am »
I don't really see the risk. If a blogger or his followers get out of hand they get banned. They get treated the same way as any forum member. Dave and the moderators will ban users and delete postings. 

The number of posts per day on this forum are massive as it is. Even if Dave does nothing you will miss most of what's here. I stop by, have a quick look at the welcome page and maybe hit notify on an item that interests me. Other than that, no time. Right now I'm most interested in the MH370 and that is in the general section, not electronics related at all.

The forum will change, growth is a part of business. As long as Dave maintains control he can expand this idea or phase it out.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2015, 06:36:23 am »
I don't really see the risk. If a blogger or his followers get out of hand they get banned. They get treated the same way as any forum member. Dave and the moderators will ban users and delete postings.
Except when things get esoteric though no fault of a specific user. You may have to ban the entire sub-forum.

For example of the most recent ventures of AvE is some ridiculous metal build-up attachment to 3-D printers with very questionable demos so far and a lot of self-confidence. This attracts all sorts of freaks, including free-energy nuts. The forum may quickly turn into a dump like edaboard became.
Alex

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2015, 06:47:12 am »
I am very grateful that Dave agreed to the Other Blogs forum section as it allows some of us 'spare time bloggers' to get a little bit of discussion and maybe some subscribers where our own forum would likely get very little traffic. I think with much larger channels or channels that are churning out videos daily or every few days things will probably get lost in the Other Blogs section unless Dave enforced an rule where only electronics or closely relevant content is posted.

Separate forum sections could be a good idea for bigger YT channels, but I think once you have enough visitors it just makes sense to create your own forum on your own site.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2015, 06:49:14 am »
Except when things get esoteric though no fault of a specific user. You may have to ban the entire sub-forum.

For example of the most recent ventures of AvE is some ridiculous metal build-up attachment to 3-D printers with very questionable demos so far and a lot of self-confidence. This attracts all sorts of freaks, including free-energy nuts. The forum may quickly turn into a dump like edaboard became.

Nothing wrong with deleting a subforum, I'm sure that's understood from the start. Dave reserves the right to do what's needed for the health of the forum. Even though we hardly ever see it I know it's a part of what happens here daily (banning members, probation, post mods and deletions).

Offline bookaboo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2015, 07:08:04 am »
I like the idea, there's quite a few small TY channels that put out content we would all be interested in but they haven't hit Dave like audiences (SteveyG being a good example but there are others). Ive only ever seen a few AvE and they are a bit off the cuff messing around kind of thing but as long as it falls broadly under the engineering net I think it should be good. As said you can always just ignore.

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2015, 07:11:17 am »
I think this is a great idea. Aggregate related things while letting people "keep control" and not having to put more stress on the forum proper's mods.

No offence to other content creators but I can imagine more people would actually find them here too.
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline drws

• Supporter
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2015, 07:16:01 am »
Is the proposal that there could be a section for each (approved) blog, where only that sub-forum's moderator can start new threads (one per vid, project etc.) for discussion?

I wouldn't want to see each blog creating sub-boards like a 'General Chat' or 'Beginners' section that takes away from the main site.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2015, 07:55:22 am »
Is the proposal that there could be a section for each (approved) blog, where only that sub-forum's moderator can start new threads (one per vid, project etc.) for discussion?

I wouldn't want to see each blog creating sub-boards like a 'General Chat' or 'Beginners' section that takes away from the main site.

My guess would be anyone could create a thread in a section as it is now. You could create a thread called beginners, but that's it.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2015, 12:58:16 pm »
But as many well intended expansion have blown up and killed the original successful enterprise, this could also be the undoing of EEVBlog.

Not possible. Countless people will complain well before that happens, and I can always pull the plug on any forum section.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2015, 01:02:03 pm »

I wasn't going to do that, but that restriction is possible.

Of course not, that would be silly.

It's basically exactly what we have now where any blogger can post their material in the "Other Blog" section, and then point their audience there if they desire.
The change is having separate sections for each blog if they so desire.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2015, 01:04:12 pm »
Even though we hardly ever see it I know it's a part of what happens here daily (banning members, probation, post mods and deletions).

You'd be surprised at how little moderation we have to actually do for a forum of this size. Most of it is just general housekeeping.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2015, 01:31:03 pm »
Earlier in the thread a reference was made to AVE (Arduino Versus Evil) having a sub forum here and I like the idea in theory, now I've been a big fan of AVE for quite a while and as you would no doubt have seen it's open slather on anyone or anything with no holes barred to a certain extent, but with that brings controversy and colourful language including French and for some of us that is the appeal but it may not be appropriate for the younger folk to have open access to that type of conversation.

We here can get away with the occasional profound word provided that it is not directed at anyone personally or generally demeaning but with some other content producers it's a part of what they do and par for the course, buggered if I know how you moderate that stuff.

Muttley

Offline 128er

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2015, 02:30:22 pm »
I like the idea. And if it doesn't work, undo it. What could possibly go wrong?  ;D

And I have also a suggestion which YouTuber realy deserves such a section . . . .

The Post Apocalyptic Inventor:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDbWmfrwmzn1ZsGgrYRUxoA

Offline MikeW

• Regular Contributor
  • Self confessed noob
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2015, 02:47:36 pm »
I want photonicinduction to get his own section.

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2015, 02:57:55 pm »
Given the forum user to righteous blind moron is at near unity (said in the most sarcastic manner possible), can someone whip up a true ignore plug-in before the forum grows by an order of magnitude or more?

And yes, I've had way too much coffee, time to go.   :scared:

Offline mswhin63

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2015, 03:02:43 pm »
I think a lot can happen. Generally when a person company asks for space then it is considered a verbal agreement. If the person is booted off for displaying what they generally do on YouTube then it would be considered inappropriate to cancel something mid way. After all the content would be allowed based on the channel content that is already entertains. Apart from accepted restrictions on agreement.

You would have to place a massive legal contract to ensure that you are not sued.

I think if Dave is happy with AvE's Youtube content then what ever is posted will also be OK. This is to be a commercial decision they are entering in as AvE and EEVBlog are both commercial ventures and there are financial interested involved that if terminate runs a risk of something possible happening. It is different as a forum user and general bloggers like myself as we need to stick to the guideline set-out on entry no commercial attachments only the hope that someone picks up you blogging.

If i ever got to the stage of getting big then i would host my own page and forum, for me that is an easy task as I already have a business website just not a blogging one.

I like the idea. And if it doesn't work, undo it. What could possibly go wrong?  ;D

And I have also a suggestion which YouTuber realy deserves such a section . . . .

The Post Apocalyptic Inventor:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDbWmfrwmzn1ZsGgrYRUxoA

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2015, 03:20:40 pm »
I love AvE's videos, but I think the key issue here is one of community. The EEVBlog, just like AvE have or are building up a community. To that effect I think that adding AvE as a sub section to the EEVBlog would be detrimental in the long term t AvE's development of a community (which he is actively trying to cultivate, and that's a good thing!!). I would much rather see him get set up with a forum that supports his own community, and I think Dave could help him with that.

The difference between Mike, Alan and Shahriar is that they don't seem to be interested in building a community as much as contributing to this one (and also their topics are primarily directly related to EE versus AvE's content in general).

Offline tech5940

• Supporter
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2015, 09:16:05 pm »
Hi Dave,

I've watched some of AvE's videos and they are very entertaining, I have no problem with them whatsoever. With that said I find AvE's video's are produced more for entertainment value with some useful points along the way. I think most would agree there is little comparison with AvE's video's and EEVBlog's when it comes to professionalism and the methods used to prove a point. You do proper tests, using proper engineering methods with facts and data to prove your point.

The one major problem I see with this is the possibility to tarnish the EEVBlog's "brand image" you have worked so hard to create. Dave you seem to be well respected by many manufacturer's and they trust you with their products to do proper professional reviews. They understand you will tell it like it is, but in a professional way with facts and data to back up your conclusion. My fear is that once a separate section is made for other blog's even though most current EEVBlog members will understand that its a separate entity the general public will most likely not. Picture someone doing a Google search and one of the responses comes up with "EEVBlog" being the domain name but it's for a topic under AvE's sub forum. I don't think the person clicking on that link is going to understand that its AvE's content they are looking at not the EEVBlog's.

This might have been brought up before but what happens if EEVBlog reviews for example "XYZ" product and feels its absolute crap, were as AvE does a review on the same product and concludes its a great product. How is that doing to look to someone doing a web search for "XYZ product review" and two completely conflicting reviews come up under the "EEVBlog" domain?

Some will say the EEVBlog forum is a separate entity from the EEVBlog vidoes/website. While I would in some cases agree with that, I still feel it all falls under a representation of EEVBlog's brand image. Currently Dave attracts a certain audience, granted the audience varies from beginners to professionals but I think for the most part everyone here wants to learn and do things properly. I fear some of the crowd that may follow from AvE's blog might not have the same interests and even though their posts will be under their own sub forum it will still reflect on the EEVBlog and it's brand image.

I've only addressed the idea of the AvE sub forum so far and while I do feel some of the other blog's might be a better "fit" I still think it will draw confusion and cause their content to be viewed as EEVBlog content (for better or worse). If they wish to post links to their video's in the forums that's fine, at least it shows up like a "user" submitted video and not an official "EEVBlog" affiliate.

I hope I haven't come across as negative to the other blogs, AvE does have some great content that's very entertaining. I believe The Signal Path was mentioned as well, I really enjoy Shahriar's videos and it's awesome to see him active here on the forum. In fact it's because of this forum that I found his stuff to begin with. However had The Signal Path been under an official EEVBlog sub forum I'm not sure as a new member I would have understood the separation between it and the EEVBlog's contents. This would be more of a concern for new users and people arriving here by search engine.

Hope this is helpful.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2015, 10:19:42 pm »
@tech5940

There are many negative and positive reviews for products on the forum (some duplicating Daves but with an opposing result). Any member can state his opinions following the review or post their own. Just as myself and you are doing on this subject. The best reviews will have this sort of discussion following it.

Test gear is almost always purchased with a particular goal in mind. No such thing as the perfect meter.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2015, 11:22:16 pm »
I think several people have made good points about the dangers of this proposal. Brand dilution, confusion of what is Dave's content versus content from other Vbloggers, and risk of the nature of the forum being altered by those primarily drawn here by other Vblog content (eg AvE) which however worthwhile, is of a different nature than Dave's (and attracts a very different audience).

Lots of other great electronics Vbloggers out there - w2aew, Shahriar, etc. They do have space here to link to and discuss their videos and  that's great but different in important ways from devoting a whole forum section to their following.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf