Author Topic: Serial Terminal Program with LA display???  (Read 1839 times)

Offline garbouiTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Serial Terminal Program with LA display???
« on: April 17, 2017, 12:43:33 pm »
I have been a long time user and advocate of both Realterm and the Saleae Logic.  In debugging it would be nice to have a linear (time based) display of my serial port data like the Logic software provides yet work in a free streaming mode like realterm with a FTDI cable. Constantly doing captures with the Saleae is unpractical in this situation.

Does anyone know of some free software that does this?

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
Re: Serial Terminal Program with LA display???
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 03:45:04 pm »
Hterm has the ability to add timestamps.

I could add this to my MultiTerm if you'd like?
It won't be hardware realtime, but it's something.

Offline abraxa

• Frequent Contributor
  • Sigrok associate
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 07:59:48 pm »
You could have a look at sigrok-cli (from sigrok.org) and see if that fits your bill. It lets you connect to the Cypress FX2-based Saleae Logic and decode the UART data (and others), showing the output on the console but you may want to perform some filtering (awk and friends) to remove any output you don't want.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 09:49:19 pm »
Timestamps are good but does not show gaps in data well in a visual sense.  Using roll function on the DSO does nearly accomplish this but having the data in test would still be nice. Basically a live updating roll function on the Saleae interface it what I am looking at As its intended use is to see large scale timings, having precise timings is not necessary.

Saleae if you are reading this, this would be a sweet feature, even if for lower baud rates <512k.

Offline abraxa

• Frequent Contributor
  • Sigrok associate
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 05:23:19 am »
Ah, I understand now. Well, you can use PulseView for the live visual inspection since it does the roll mode with decoders but unfortunately, the decoder output doesn't have its own output window yet. That's still in the making, though, so it'll be there eventually.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 12:47:11 pm »
Ah, I understand now. Well, you can use PulseView for the live visual inspection since it does the roll mode with decoders but unfortunately, the decoder output doesn't have its own output window yet. That's still in the making, though, so it'll be there eventually.

Oh man, Pulse view is perfect!! Set to 1T/ max record len is plenty for now. and then Settings>>Always keep newest samples at the right edge, gives me my roll.  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf