Author Topic: Server PSU PEX 737-30 How to turn it on ?  (Read 5598 times)

Offline MetraCollectorTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Server PSU PEX 737-30 How to turn it on ?
« on: January 12, 2013, 02:56:17 pm »
Hello, I would like to ask - anyone know how to activate this server PSU ? It si FDK Corp. PEX 737-30 supposed to be used in Sun Systems, but there is no documentation available.
I read something about other PSUs that is need to be shorted some wires, but it seems to be like "original per type".
Is there a need to add dummy load for 5V section if I want to use 12V section ?

Any tips ?
Thank you very much.

Regards Ondrej

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
Re: Server PSU PEX 737-30 How to turn it on ?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 04:46:15 pm »
Put the board on some cardboard or several sheets of paper to insulate it, plug it in.

Get a multimeter, put the black probe on a black wire (should always be ground), then probe the rest of the output pins.

IMHO even if the connector is not standard, it should still be relatively identical to atx.

Red should be 5v - you see the caps in the back rated for 10v so it makes sense.
Orange in atx standard is 3.3v but this power supply doesn't have 3.3v, only 12v.. so those are 12v

You can see those four wires (green, brown, blue and red) going to a separate connector on the sides... I'd bet the red cable is a 5v standby, the green being the power good wire and the brown and blue... no clue.
Measure the brown and blue wires, see if they have any voltage on them.

I would try shorting the green to a ground wire and if that doesn't start spinning fans, I'd try shorting the green and brown (if it doesn't have any voltage on it)

Offline MetraCollectorTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 10:03:39 pm »
There is 5V between blue one and GND. Green is connected to GND.
Brown and thin red are at 0V, but there is resistance between them and GND.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 11:28:12 pm by MetraCollector »

Offline DenzilPenberthy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 03:32:01 pm »
Hi,

Did you figure out in the end how to get this thing working? I've got four of these and I'd like to get them working. Perhaps you have some valuable experience which will avoid me destroying one by experimenting? :)

Cheers.

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 05:38:35 pm »

I would try shorting the green to a ground wire and if that doesn't start spinning fans, I'd try shorting the green and brown (if it doesn't have any voltage on it)

This is likely what I would try as well. On ATX the standard is to short green (PIN 13 IIRC, which looks similar to here) to black to turn it on.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline Roque

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 03:52:05 pm »
For those dealing with this PSU, short Green and Blue Wires and it will turn on.

Cheers,

Offline Julis Henry Marx

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 04:25:19 pm »
Hello:

Sorry to revive an old thread.
Thought it was needed because the answer in the final post was correct and useful to me.
And it may be useful to someone else.

... short Green and Blue Wires and it will turn on.

Yes, I can confirm that the unit (mine is a FDK PEX737-40) powers on by shorting the green wite (PS_ON) to the blue wire.
I can also confirm that shorting the green wire (PS_ON) to GND will not power up the unit although you can hear a 'click',
Maybe it is a check of some sort?

The thing is that there are four AWG24 wires at connector SCN3 on the board (signal?) but only two identified: green (PS_ON) and red which I expect to be +5VSB.

Blue is not directly connected to GND, measures ~ 3.50k ohms wrt GND

Can anyone shed some light on functions of the brown and blue wires are?

Thanks in advance,

JHM
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 04:36:59 pm by Julis Henry Marx »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf